Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Dec 16, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #46 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, many would say there are other opamps that are better then the LM4562's. Some also have personal favorites such as OPA627,637, AD or LT brand opamps. Also consider the Discrete opamps like the Sun,moon,Earth or the Burson models are said to provide better quality then many chip opamps.
Many use opamps to tailor the frequency response more to thier personal taste.

If you use a Burson, how can you put it on this card without soldering? Is it possible? I don't have the skills but would like to snap a Burson into the card. Perhaps I'll email them & ask if they can provide an easier to install feature for their op amps.
beerchug.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #47 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twitchy_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you use a Burson, how can you put it on this card without soldering? Is it possible? I don't have the skills but would like to snap a Burson into the card. Perhaps I'll email them & ask if they can provide an easier to install feature for their op amps.
beerchug.gif

The card has opamp installed in DIY sockets so you can change the opamps if you like. You would have to remove the EMI sheilding or I am pretty sure the Burson and other units have extension wires for the units. This way you could conentc up the amp and put it next to the card and replace the EMI sheilding (if it is a big deal to you). They install just like any other opamps just they are larger. This is why they also come with the extension wires. I don't really think they can make it easier for other as they just plug into the socket, that is pretty easy.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #48 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The card has opamp sockets. You would have to remove the EMI sheilding or I am pretty sure the Burson and other units have extension wires for the units. This way you could conentc up the amp and put it next to the card and replace the EMI sheilding (if it is a big deal to you). They install just like any other opamps just they are larger. This is why they also come with the extension wires.

Sweet! Thanks for the info.
beyersmile.png
So use the extension wires on the Burson & find a place on the PC case to fasten it. I suppose a person could test the sound of the Xonar Essence STX with & without the EMI shield to see if it makes a difference in their environment. The EMI shield definitely looks nice.

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #49 of 2,066
See the attached photo, and I'd recommend ordering from audio-gd in China. This is a Moon attached to an Auzentech X-Meridian.

edit: someone posted in another thread that the discrete opamps need to be supplied with 9v or above to function optimally. The Auzentech puts out 8v and it seems to work fine. I have no idea what The Asus supplies its opamps with but if it is less than 8v it might not be a good idea.

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #50 of 2,066
Prefect example of what I was refering to. Thx, Karthur.

The Essence STX and other Xonars have have the EMI sheild so if you didn't want to remove the sheilding completely you could run these wires unders the sheild by leaving the screws on the one side a bit loose to produce a gap between the PCB and the sheilding.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #51 of 2,066
Oh no, my order was updated and apparently the card is coming out February 1st now (at least here in Sweden). Still looking forward to more impressions and reviews!

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #53 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by karthur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See the attached photo, and I'd recommend ordering from audio-gd in China. This is a Moon attached to an Auzentech X-Meridian.

edit: someone posted in another thread that the discrete opamps need to be supplied with 9v or above to function optimally. The Auzentech puts out 8v and it seems to work fine. I have no idea what The Asus supplies its opamps with but if it is less than 8v it might not be a good idea.

It's too bad the discrete opamp doesn't have a little molex connector to hook into the power supply.
floatsmile.png
Well, I guess I'll have to wait until someone else tries it or perhaps we can ask ASUS & they will let us know the details.

Dec 17, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #54 of 2,066
The card itself has a molex connector to hook into the power supply directly. All analog sections are powered from this direct power input and filtered by OS-CON capacitors. Quite a nice power filtering section based on my examinations.

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #56 of 2,066
Hey, Asus finally has the Essence listed on their products page.
biggrin.gif

The day of reckoning is slowly approaching......
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #59 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryfestryfe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody have any information on how this card stacks up against the HT Omega Claro Halo?

I was looking to get the Halo, but after finding this thread i'm on hold.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #60 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryfestryfe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody have any information on how this card stacks up against the HT Omega Claro Halo?

I doubt you'll find anyone here that has listened to both card... except maybe Rob. AFAIK, he is the only person that has heard/tested the Xonar Essence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back