Xonar Essence STX over the Prelude 7.1?
Jun 30, 2009 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

KLJTech

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using the Auzentech Prelude 7.1 which replaced the Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic. I'm now living in an apartment and in the evening I almost always switch to headphones, Grado 325i and AKG 701's powered by the Cute Beyond and Supplier.

Now I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the Asus Xonar Essence STX over the Prelude 7.1 not only for headphone use but my two channel stereo listening as well. This would allow me to use my Cute Beyond in another room. A kill two bird’s w/one stone kinda thing.

Has anyone compared the sound of the Prelude 7.1 (I've always used just 2 speakers and a sub.....never 5.1 or 7.1) to the Asus Xonar Essence STX and if the Asus is better is it significantly better?

How are the Asus drivers with Windows XP Pro?

One last very important question, does the HP amp on the Asus drive the front panel header as well as the rear HP jack? I wouldn't be using them at the same time, just wanted to know if the HP jack on the front of my PC would be driven by the HP amp.

Thank you very much in advance for any info you can give,
Kevin

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 33
I have both Prelude and Essence cards and there's a clear difference in sound between them. The Essence sounds more natural and creates warmer and nicer sound compared to the Prelude which sounds sterile and cold in comparison.

I have a Harmony Design Ear 9 amp which costs around 300-400 bucks and depending on the headphones I'm using I either can't tell a difference or I prefer the Essence amp. So with the AKG 701 and Beyerdynamic 990 I prefer the Essence amp while I with the Denon D5000 can't tell the difference. When using the Essence amp there's just so much more gain available so no matter if I listen to really quiet classical recordings or loud metal I can get the volume just where I want it without the Essence amp breaking a sweat.

I'm pretty sure that you can't drive the front panel jacks with the amp. I've been very happy with my Essence and I'd say it's likely you will as well! One thing though, it really helps to have volume control buttons on the keyboard or it might become a pain to adjust the volume.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheManko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it really helps to have volume control buttons on the keyboard or it might become a pain to adjust the volume.

Volumouse - control the sound volume with a wheel mouse
atsmile.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 33
That's why I have both installed now, because the real Eax support does make a big difference if I feel like playing Dirt, Grid, Dreamfall or Fear. None of these games sound nearly as good with the Asus eax emulation as with the real thing. Most of the time though I do prefer the clearly superior sound quality of the Essence.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 33
I was pretty sure that Asus Xonar Essence STX would edge out my Prelude card with music and I don't really have time to game much anymore so music and how the HP amp sounds is my main concern. I'm currently using Grado 325i and AKG 701 headphones. My speakers are B&W 805's with a very nice Velodyne sub, at times I switch out the B&W's for my Magnepan 1.6's. All of my cables are from DH Labs.

I'd love to know how the Asus Xonar Essence STX stacks up against a stand alone DAC like the PS Audio Digital Link III. Now I would assume that the PS Audio would blow away the Asus sound card and it does cost 3 times the price even when the DAC is on sale so it should.

This is what I'm having trouble deciding, my Prelude has coaxial digital out so do I give up on sound cards and just use the Prelude's digital out to feed a stand alone DAC or is the improvement over the Asus card not as huge as one would think so just maybe I keep replacing my sound card every couple years.

Before I got into using PC's as a source I use to have a nice transport and a Monarchy DAC (a wonderful company to do business with, at that time it was run by a Mr. Poon....I hope that I'm spelling that correctly ). Well after a few years of using the same DAC a friend convinced me to try this new sound card he had just bought in my system in place of the transport and Monarchy DAC.

I was shocked to find that the sound card produced music from a blacker background, had a more precise soundstage and frankly just sounded more musical than did my DAC. The Monarchy was a wonderful/well built DAC but enough time had passed that now a top of the line sound card could sound better than my beloved DAC. At that point I sold my DAC and started using sound cards since it was cheaper to keep a new sound card in your PC than to buy a whole new DAC every couple years.

Basically I'm trying to figure out if the Asus card sounds good enough to keep me happy for a couple years and it would free up my HP amp to be used in another room. BUT if the Asus is nowhere close to the level of sound put out by the PS Audio Digital Link III then I'd rather just buy the DAC and use my cards digital out to feed the Digital Link III. I know that it's not fair to ask a $200 sound card with a built in HP amp to sound as good as a DAC that retails for nearly a thousand dollars. BUT if it's even close I'd go the sound card route again.

Any feedback on either the Asus Xonar Essence STX (and the HP amp's sound) or thoughts on the PS Audio Digital Link III would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 33
You can always upgrade the opamps on the STX also further improving or "dialing in" the sound more to your preference. The Essence STX and ST have some seriously good measurments and sound quality with comparison to their retail price. They sound very good out of the box and much better with some new opamps.
Really depends on what your after. I cannot comment on the unit you mentioned and some prefer external gear over a internal soundcard.

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 33
Oh, I do know for a fact that sound cards are capable of sounding fantastic. You're also saving all that money that the company producing the stand alone DAC has to spend on a nice looking case and power supply. A good sound card is giving you a lot for your money. Have you listened to the HP amp on the Asus? I haven't heard if its a nice built in HP amp or not so much. I'd love to be able to move my stand alone HP amp into another room if the Asus provided a nice enough amp for the Grado's and AKG's.

Thanks.
KJ

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 33
meh. The STX is ok for most people but it might not be to your tastes as it is very in your face with its sound signature (flabby, flabby mids).
I have one, and I do not particularly like it.
I used to have an EM-U 0202 (i think thats the name) that sounded better.
Other than that, the STX is good value for money but its not as amazing as the owners want you to believe and at times is unmusicial.
The opamp options arent that great, I tried four combinations, all of them had crappy mids and the only one that fixed the mids nerfed the highs.
To me it feels like a low-fi or at best mid-fi product (like my amp and headphones); it sounds "nice", but only because it tries to (and severely alters the sound to achieve it).
Give it a go, you may like it.

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
meh. The STX is ok for most people but it might not be to your tastes as it is very in your face with its sound signature (flabby, flabby mids).
Other than that, the STX is good value for money but its not as amazing as the owners want you to believe and at times is unmusicial.
The opamp options arent that great, I tried four combinations, all of them had crappy mids and the only one that fixed the mids nerfed the highs.
To me it feels like a low-fi or at best mid-fi product (like my amp and headphones); it sounds "nice", but only because it tries to (and severely alters the sound to achieve it).

Your arrogance is astounding. Because you don't like it, we're all wrong for thinking highly of it?

Okay buddy.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 33
Also op-amp balance is important too,thats why you gotta keep trying diffent combos of op-amps together in i/v+ buffer if your using the RCA, but i agree with Bojamijams.

Just because you dont like it or the op-amps combos you tried do not mean every one esle that does enjoy it and the op-amp combo are wrong. You should know not all op-amp combos work good together.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #13 of 33
+1 on case and power supply being by far the most expensive parts of the external DAC. i would say 3/4 or 4/5 of the manufacturing costs go there. Jan Meier of Meier-Audio said the same about case being by far the most expansive part of the external unit. so without saying one or other is better, comparison between $200 internal soundcard and $600 external DAC is only fair. especially if you have a decent PSU in PC.

Quote:

what op-amps did you try?

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

With all due respect, I've never heard the term flabby mids before. It's possible that I just haven't kept up on enough reviews lately. Are you saying that you the mid-range doesn't sound life-like or correct with this card and you're system and it did before switching to this card?

I'm currently using a Auzentech Prelude (stock Op-Amps) and I'm not having any problems with the mid-range, as it is always the way with audio, they could sound better, hence the reason I'm looking to buy either a better sound card or stand alone DAC. I'd rather not buy a DAC or sound card that the first thing I need do is start replacing Op-Amps. I fully agree that they can make a significant difference be it for the better or worse.

I've read a few reviews on the Asus card and the PS Audio Digital Link III and truly I'm just trying to find out what those in this forum thought when they gave the Asus a try in their own system. I'm pretty sure that either will be an improvement over my aging Prelude card and like most of us I'd like to get the most improvement for as little money spent as possible. I'm also in intrigued by the fact that the Asus card has a built in headphone amp and I would love to know what users of the sound card think of the HP amp.
Thanks for you input.

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #15 of 33
I sense troll feedind
geert.gif

if you don't like something, ditch it...and buy something else. whining about it w/ vague arguments on an internet forum is not going to improve the SQ, now is it?
jsuistropcon.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back