Xonar Essence STX II - Amplifier setting?
May 26, 2018 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

killerline

Head-Fier
Hello, wonderful Head-Fi:ers!

Was just curious, I've got my DT990 (250 ohms) and running them through a Xonar Essence STX II.
I have always used the "High gain (+12dB for 64~300 ohms)" setting but using low overall volume in Windows. So what I was wondering is if I should lower it to the "Normal Gain (0dB for <64 ohms)" and use an overall louder volume in Windows? I know that one should always use the lowest gain possible in correlation to the volume but just assumed that I should use the Hign gain option because it would suit my headphones better (sound quality wise).

What would you guys recommend? :)

Thanks in advance!

May 26, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 6
I would set the gain to 300~600 Ohm.
It will not hurt the headphones.

May 27, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 6
I would set the gain to 300~600 Ohm.
It will not hurt the headphones.
We meet again, PurpleAngel.
Would you just be so kind to explain why I should set it at the highest gain setting? Even though when I already use a really low base volume with the medium gain setting?
I also know that compared to other headphones, the DT990's are relatively easily driven as well.

May 27, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 6
We meet again, PurpleAngel.
Would you just be so kind to explain why I should set it at the highest gain setting? Even though when I already use a really low base volume with the medium gain setting?
I also know that compared to other headphones, the DT990's are relatively easily driven as well.
It not a big deal which gain setting to use, guess use whichever gain setting you like to use,
I guess I was trying to say it ok to use the 300-600 setting, if you choose to do so.
If you like using the lowest gain setting, cool.

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the STX II?
Have you tried the Unified Xonar Drivers?
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

If you decide you prefer better clarity over the DT990 strong bass/treble, check out the Beyerdynamic T90 (best to buy used).

May 27, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 6
It not a big deal which gain setting to use, guess use whichever gain setting you like to use,
I guess I was trying to say it ok to use the 300-600 setting, if you choose to do so.
If you like using the lowest gain setting, cool.

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the STX II?
Have you tried the Unified Xonar Drivers?
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

If you decide you prefer better clarity over the DT990 strong bass/treble, check out the Beyerdynamic T90 (best to buy used).

So I use whatever setting suits me the best? I won't affect the sound that my headphones produce that is?

I did disable my onboard audio when I installed the STX and I am also (and have always been) using the Unified Xonar Drivers. Much superior to the ones Asus has made.

I also quite like the DT990s, I do prefer the spike in the treble and bass region. I do want to upgrade sometime in the near future though, but don't know to which ones. Maybe the Fidelio X2? I have listened to the M50x and enjoyed them as well, but don't feel that they are a upgrade from my DT990s. Any opinions?

May 27, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 6
So I use whatever setting suits me the best? I won't affect the sound that my headphones produce that is?
I did disable my onboard audio when I installed the STX and I am also (and have always been) using the Unified Xonar Drivers. Much superior to the ones Asus has made.
I also quite like the DT990s, I do prefer the spike in the treble and bass region. I do want to upgrade sometime in the near future though, but don't know to which ones. Maybe the Fidelio X2? I have listened to the M50x and enjoyed them as well, but don't feel that they are a upgrade from my DT990s. Any opinions?

Technically whichever setting you use, it takes the same amount of voltage to create a given sound level.
The highest gain setting just comes with the most pre voltage boost.
It could be using the lowest gain setting has less (slightly less?) backgound noise (very much guessing), if there is any background noise.
I do like my Soundmagic HP200 headphones slightly better then my DT990 (250-Ohm & 600-Ohm).
Whichever headphones are going to be what you consider an improvement migght not be an easy answer and also would depend on the budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back