Xonar Essence STX DAC vs Bifrost... and a couple other questions
Jul 5, 2013 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

asgiov

100+ Head-Fier
2 Questions

FIRST QUESTION
I currently own an HD 650 running through a Fiio E9, using my Xonar Essence STX as a soundcard. 

I already have a Schiit Valhalla on the way. Should hopefully arrive tomorrow in working order. 

For the most part, I do enjoy the sound of my HD 650s as they are. I wouldn't mind improving on the overall soundstage, transparancy, and 
openness however. From what I've read, the Schiit Valhalla should help improve on these qualities.

I'm wondering if picking a Bifrost DAC will have any real benefits, compared to the Xonar Essence sound card as a DAC for the Valhalla. 

SECOND QUESTION
If I ended up selling both the HD 650 and the Valhalla to pick up a pair of Planar Magnetic headphones such as the LCD2 or HE 500, I would have to drive them direct from my sound card until I picked up another amp for them. 

Would that be a doable setup until I got a better high-powered amp... or am I better off waiting to upgrade to planar magnetics UNTIL I can afford both Headphones AND Amp at once.
If I hold off on the Bifrost... I could probably just return the Valhalla to Amazon before my time with it is up and afford the Planar Magnetics with something like a Lyr amp almost immediately. Or should I invest in the better DAC first? 

Hope I can get some help on these. Thank you very much in advance. 

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
2 Questions

FIRST QUESTION
I currently own an HD 650 running through a Fiio E9, using my Xonar Essence STX as a sound card. 

I already have a Schiit Valhalla on the way. Should hopefully arrive tomorrow in working order. 

I've always assumed the E9 and Essence STX are about equal as a headphone amp.
Wondering why your using the E9?

I would think the Valhalla would up the audio quality.

You could try replacing the 3 op-amps (operational amplifiers) on the Essence STX first, before buying a new DAC.

AD797BR or LME49990 op-amps seem to get positive reviews as op-amps upgrades
I use three AD797BRs myself, costs around $40-$50.

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
I've always assumed the E9 and Essence STX are about equal as a headphone amp.
Wondering why your using the E9?

I would think the Valhalla would up the audio quality.

You could try replacing the 3 op-amps (operational amplifiers) on the Essence STX first, before buying a new DAC.

AD797BR or LME49990 op-amps seem to get positive reviews as op-amps upgrades
I use three AD797BRs myself, costs around $40-$50.

It's pretty close.. but I do feel like the E9 gives them a bit more power and therefore a little bit better impact in the bass. I'm still waiting on the Valhalla to arrive... should be here soon.. any minute now. 

Which of the Opamps would affect the DAC portion of the soundcard? 

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Which of the Op-amps would affect the DAC portion of the sound card? 

The DAC sends an analog audio signal to all three op-amps.
The two I/V JCR2114 op-amps are used for the headphone jack
All three op-amps, the one Buffer LM4653 op-amp and the two JCR2114 op-amps are used for the line-out (RCA jacks).
The LME49720 is the same op-amp as the LM4653,
and also the LME49860 is the same op-amp, but with a higher voltage range.

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
How would you describe the changes the AD797BR made? And which headphones do you use? 

Currently using the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600-Ohm headphones, straight into the STX.
In the past I was plugging the O2 (Objective) amp into the STX's RCA jack and plugging the ATH-A900Xs into the O2.
I really can not remember how much the audio changed with installing the AD797BRs, but I do like the sound.

Jul 6, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 7
Thank you very much.

I did end up getting my Schiit Valhalla today. The improvements over the E9 amp are not HUGE.. but it really does smooth out the frequency response. Transitions between the mids and highs seem much smoother. And the sounds is definitely not as "dry". 

When you consider the price difference, I really feel the hurt of diminishing returns... lol

But regardless of that... it's tipped me over to the point where I want to keep my HD 650s and the amp for now. I'm going to hold off on picking up the Planar Magnetics for now. 

I'm going to read up on the "uber" bifrost and decide if I want to go ahead and pick that up too. I probably will, considering the 15-day trial they offer. I might consider playing with Opamps on the xonar... too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back