Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Apr 28, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #1,756 of 1,781
Can anyone who owns the Xonar H6 please advise…
Does it also do 7.1 analog input?

I've scoured the net and there's no chatter of that ability.
I've not been able to find a datasheet to be 100% certain though.

Judging by it's product page i don't think so
http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_H6/

If it has analogue capture roughly equivalent to this:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010LT.html
Then considering it also does excellent output, it'd be a truly awesome buy.

I know the Essence ST does 2ch analogue capture.

Apr 30, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #1,757 of 1,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The ST is the newer of the batch with STX being the older PCI Express version. I got the ST cause basically I wanted to avoid the EMI from the adjacent GTX 460 card.

Far as which version, it really depends on your needs. If you have a 7.1 setup, then in order for it to work with the ST you have to buy the H6 expansion board as well. Therefore, you need a spare PCIe at hand also.

The ST/STX do share the best specs (124db etc) - however if surround sound is essential, you may be better off getting the DX/D1/D2 instead.

Now why would ancientz recommend the dx/d1/d2 for 7.1 output when the ST+H6 have much better output. Please explain further....i could be wrong.

Apr 30, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #1,758 of 1,781

Quote:
No solder required just a good set of screwdrivers. I have zero regrets re the opamps. With the opamp upgrade the ST compared pretty well to the Dacmagic I had at the time. My stereo gear has moved along way but my ST remains in my computer.

The ST is much better than the STX by the way. each both with the same opamps.

Regards

Macrog

By the way i'm tryna get some op-amps to see the difference they make compared to the stock op-amps....macrog or robscix please your input would be very essential.

May 1, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #1,759 of 1,781
I've scoured the internet for the H6 and it is nowhere to be found.  On top of that, I've read that it has been discontinued.  Is there a hidden stash of them somewhere on the internet where I may purchase one?

May 1, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #1,761 of 1,781
Can anyone who owns the Xonar H6 please advise…
Does it also do 7.1 analog input?

I've scoured the net and there's no chatter of that ability.
I've not been able to find a datasheet to be 100% certain though.

Judging by it's product page i don't think so
http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_H6/

If it has analogue capture roughly equivalent to this:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010LT.html
Then considering it also does excellent output, it'd be a truly awesome buy.

I know the Essence ST does 2ch analogue capture.

anyone? thank-you.

May 1, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #1,762 of 1,781

Quote:
anyone? thank-you.

You can only do 2 channels at a time input the use mixing software to combine them into one multichannel file. You would actually not be mixing them as that would defeat your purpose of outputing 8 channel audio. The H6 card only does 6 of the channels output, no input. you would need a mixer capable of 8 channel output.

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #1,764 of 1,781
Was wondering if someone could help me here. I just bought a mic to use through the line-in for Ventrilo. After a few minutes of use I got a loud high frequency beep through my headphones, luckily nothing was damaged. I experienced the same thing a few minutes later. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix? Thank you

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #1,766 of 1,781
I don't think that's what he's talking about. It happened to me once when using Ventrilo and it actually sounded like a beep, not an amp loop. It was so loud it made me jump in my chair, thankfully didn't damage my headphones. Vent wasn't being used at the time by anybody (nobody was speaking,) others in Vent heard it as well, it lasted 3-4 seconds. I know it wasn't my mic picking up the sound coming from my headphones (closed set,) it never does that, and the sensitivity is set just right so it doesn't activate by itself...

DSK123, what driver version are you using?

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #1,767 of 1,781

Quote:
I don't think that's what he's talking about. It happened to me once when using Ventrilo and it actually sounded like a beep, not an amp loop. It was so loud it made me jump in my chair, thankfully didn't damage my headphones. Vent wasn't being used at the time by anybody (nobody was speaking,) others in Vent heard it as well, it lasted 3-4 seconds. I know it wasn't my mic picking up the sound coming from my headphones (closed set,) it never does that, and the sensitivity is set just right so it doesn't activate by itself...

DSK123, what driver version are you using?

I don't think it's an amplifying loop. There is no way the mic is picking up any sound from my headphones. When I got the beep, I closed all programs and even muted the system. The beep continued for about 5 minutes before it went away, even while muted.

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #1,768 of 1,781
I'm using the unofficial UNi Xonar v1.31 driver (low-DPC latency mode,) which is based on 7.12.8.1793s. What else were you running in the background (or foreground)? Maybe it's some application conflicting with Ventrilo.

I had some other issues with Ventrilo before. For example, with some older driver sets, opening the Ventrilo setup would result in the card switching outputs (from RCA back to headphone) or the recording input settings in Windows... It's also possible that Ventrilo itself is the problem and you might want to consider switching to a different VoIP app (things like these never happened in TS2, TS3, Mumble.) Some people with on-board sound cards will randomly transmit really loud static over their mics, and just like in my case, it seems like it occurs at random and is really rare, so finding the root of the problem may be tough.

I guess you could try posting in the official forums if you haven't already, but I doubt you're going to find a solution to the problem there either.

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #1,769 of 1,781

Started using Mumble, and I haven't experience the beep. Thanks for the tip fufula!
Quote:
I'm using the unofficial UNi Xonar v1.31 driver (low-DPC latency mode,) which is based on 7.12.8.1793s. What else were you running in the background (or foreground)? Maybe it's some application conflicting with Ventrilo.

I had some other issues with Ventrilo before. For example, with some older driver sets, opening the Ventrilo setup would result in the card switching outputs (from RCA back to headphone) or the recording input settings in Windows... It's also possible that Ventrilo itself is the problem and you might want to consider switching to a different VoIP app (things like these never happened in TS2, TS3, Mumble.) Some people with on-board sound cards will randomly transmit really loud static over their mics, and just like in my case, it seems like it occurs at random and is really rare, so finding the root of the problem may be tough.

I guess you could try posting in the official forums if you haven't already, but I doubt you're going to find a solution to the problem there either.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #1,770 of 1,781
I've been wanting to get the Essence STX for sometime but then i see there's a newer Essence ST now.
was wondering how does the sound quality compare to other external amps?
i've been using an AMB mini^3 for some a few years. Is Essence ST an upgrade from it?
and anyone have tested the Essence ST with Etymotic ER4-S / Grado SR-60?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back