Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Sep 12, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #1,666 of 1,781
Yea I would had used them on my STX if I had 2 more and had another adaptor. Tho it wouldnt fit in both I/Vs sockets any way. So I ordred some LT1036 to see how they are in my I/V with my headphones.

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #1,667 of 1,781

Quote:
@csy: Can you still mount the EMI shield with those SO opamps on adapters?

Yes, the browndog adapters with chips mounted have plenty of clearance with the shield fitted (2 to 3mm).  I'm not using the shield because the replacement electrolytic caps are taller, blocking the shield.

And yes, the LT1028CS8 is a single op-amp chip, so you need 2 chips per browndog adapter (one topside, one underside).

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #1,668 of 1,781

Quote:
Found a new mod driver that has bit -perfect ASIO capability without the problems with stability of the beta drivers provided by Asus. Similar to what Daniel K did for Creative ths guy has done for Asus. He has come up with drivers that actually work correctly for the Xonar cards. This is a link to the webpage of the guy that made the mod drivers.http://brainbit.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Hey nice find!
So it's like the latest beta dirvers, but without the glitches?

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #1,669 of 1,781

Quote:
Hey nice find!
So it's like the latest beta dirvers, but without the glitches?

Yes, that is correct. I've been trying them out & so far none of the issues the beta drivers had.

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #1,671 of 1,781

Quote:
Sweet thanks for pointing it out!
I will install this before starting any mods.
I'm well overdue for mods, but so many other priorities/projects!

You get it installed yet?

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #1,674 of 1,781

Quote:
Are you using the 1790 or the 1788 UniXonar?
I installed the 1790 & they seem as stable as the stock version 1788's.
I'm using ASIO out on my WinXP rig.
The beta drivers wouldn't work at all when I tried them.

I'm using the 1790 ones with no issues here

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #1,675 of 1,781
Hi there
smily_headphones1.gif

Just to chip in here ... quickly. I have one observation and one question.

Regarding op-amps, not sure if anyone had a play with  2x OPA627AU (I/V)  + AD8620AR (buffer).  All I can say is that I'm deeply shocked. In a good way
biggrin.gif
  Music so nicely fills the room, somewhat leaves the speakers and just ... oh well ... floats around you in quite calm, smooth manner. So involving sound stage!  No trace of digital nuisance and treble is delicate but not head and shoulders above everything else.  Also,  at relatively low levels music is still quite enjoyable.

So, yeah, I'm extremely pleased with the results. I do have OPA627BP on adapters , but simply put there is not enough space around the I/V sockets. I have to elevate one socket higher, but that leaves more complication and more surface2surface contacts I would like to avoid. Also, I have one pair of AD797BR (on adapters) so may swap AD8620 with them for buffer ... not sure how that will pan out. By the way, testing was done with speakers only. Still have to audition the HD650 (was borrowed to a friend).

Now, question. I have the H6 add-on too, but not using it in surround set-up. Subwoofer is connected for true 2.1 and other ports are used as additional stereo channels. I've configured the default xonar device output in windows sound settigns to 7.1 (and in xonar control panel too) ... but windows is not registering the additional channels when I go to the channels balance (when you open the volume properties in sound settings from windows).  It just shows left + right on the list. I'm using some custom volume control scripts (vbscript API based) ... and they are keeping specific channels at fixed volume while controlling others in parallel/sync. So, not sure if it's driver or hardware issue ... but in any case I would highly appreciate any hint how it's possible to control  the *output volume for each channel from the windows itself.

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #1,676 of 1,781

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. I've been trying them out & so far none of the issues the beta drivers had.

ΑSUS says for the BETAs: "7. Current buffer time is set at 10ms, will be adjustable in later version."

But downloading them today, this adjustment is accesible for any price you like! So no more glitches?
(Ι set it, through Foobar, to 20ms, from the default 10ms, to see what will happen).

I had only a tiny problem using them as they are. I hope that now they are bit perfect and absolutely perfect!
(Windows XP with Kernel streaming and Foobar).

smile.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #1,677 of 1,781

Quote:
You get it installed yet?

LOL, nope but it's bookmarked & will eventually be used.... 
bigsmile_face.gif

I've got a HTPC/PVR/jack-of-all build I've been working on for about 1yr (weird I know; I'm obsessive/compulsive)
I'll finally have most of the critical pieces assembled in about 5-days, when that happens, the build begins...

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #1,678 of 1,781
OK ... managed to grab the exact screen, describing the problem:

As you may notice there is a balance just for L/R channels. No trace of additional channels (LB/LR,C,Sub etc) and system (audio device) is configured as 7.1, This is probably Asus driver specific quirk. Can't remember that I had such problem with other audio cards. Anyway, temporary workaround is that I'm keeping the Windows volume at 100% and actual volume for each channel is controlled via  ASIO mixer (probably better option). It would be useful to have balance control from windows mixer though, if needed.

Quote:
Hi there
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

Just to chip in here ... quickly. I have one observation and one question.

Regarding op-amps, not sure if anyone had a play with  2x OPA627AU (I/V)  + AD8620AR (buffer).  All I can say is that I'm deeply shocked. In a good way
biggrin.gif
  Music so nicely fills the room, somewhat leaves the speakers and just ... oh well ... floats around you in quite calm, smooth manner. So involving sound stage!  No trace of digital nuisance and treble is delicate but not head and shoulders above everything else.  Also,  at relatively low levels music is still quite enjoyable.

So, yeah, I'm extremely pleased with the results. I do have OPA627BP on adapters , but simply put there is not enough space around the I/V sockets. I have to elevate one socket higher, but that leaves more complication and more surface2surface contacts I would like to avoid. Also, I have one pair of AD797BR (on adapters) so may swap AD8620 with them for buffer ... not sure how that will pan out. By the way, testing was done with speakers only. Still have to audition the HD650 (was borrowed to a friend).

Now, question. I have the H6 add-on too, but not using it in surround set-up. Subwoofer is connected for true 2.1 and other ports are used as additional stereo channels. I've configured the default xonar device output in windows sound settigns to 7.1 (and in xonar control panel too) ... but windows is not registering the additional channels when I go to the channels balance (when you open the volume properties in sound settings from windows).  It just shows left + right on the list. I'm using some custom volume control scripts (vbscript API based) ... and they are keeping specific channels at fixed volume while controlling others in parallel/sync. So, not sure if it's driver or hardware issue ... but in any case I would highly appreciate any hint how it's possible to control  the *output volume for each channel from the windows itself.

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #1,679 of 1,781
60ms and no glitches at all! (I hope).

smile.gif

Quote:
ΑSUS says for the BETAs: "7. Current buffer time is set at 10ms, will be adjustable in later version."

But downloading them today, this adjustment is accesible for any price you like! So no more glitches?
(Ι set it, through Foobar, to 20ms, from the default 10ms, to see what will happen).

I had only a tiny problem using them as they are. I hope that now they are bit perfect and absolutely perfect!
(Windows XP with Kernel streaming and Foobar).

smile.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #1,680 of 1,781
OK this might be confusing question but here it is anyway: what is FlexBass on Xonar control panel? Can this be used as bass management for analog outputs?
In other words, is there any way to enable bass management  when sending signal to 2.1 system via ST's analog output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back