Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Jun 13, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #1,622 of 1,781
Well I received my Essence ST in the mail on Thursday and I was a bit surprised to see it is made in China... I believe the Essence STX at least was originally made in Taiwan.

I hope it sounds good though.

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #1,623 of 1,781
Quote:
I just ordered Xonar Essence ST and I will have it on friday. The problem is that half on my time I listen music on PC and half playin games, if I install the latest beta drivers can I play games with no problems? I just read that the volume will be stuck to the maximum with the latest beta drivers, I am wondering if this is a issue if I will play games? I already have a Creative X-FI, do you think I can use both audio cards in the computer, X-FI for gaming and ST for music and movies? I'm quite noob on this things but I own a pair of AKG 601 headphones and I am looking to buy some Sennheiser HD 595 mostly for games. Could you please advise me what I should do and what drivers I should install for the Xonar Essence ST on Win 7 x86, the betas or the final ones which are little older?

I'm using the latest stable release and having no problems using it with a x-fi. Windows 7 handles multiple sound cards pretty well, screenshot: http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6691/soundq.jpg.

I have a few questions on my settings, are the ST control panel settings right for the best sound quality (only used for music)? All my music is 44.1 KHz, the mixer is at 76 (I forgot why it should be at 76), and the equalizer is flat. I'm using an AKG K701 with it (impedance should be right). I'm using winamp with the default output plug-in right now because I'm not sure which is the best one to use and where to get it. I had a KS output plug-in when I had Win XP but I couldn't get it to work with Win 7. I would prefer to lose volume control. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #1,624 of 1,781
I guess it's designed in Taiwan and made in China, since Asus is essentially a Taiwanese company.
It does sound good for sure.

Quote:
Well I received my Essence ST in the mail on Thursday and I was a bit surprised to see it is made in China... I believe the Essence STX at least was originally made in Taiwan.

I hope it sounds good though.

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #1,625 of 1,781
Hy all.
i think i have a problem and i was wondering if i have done something wrong or...
Setup:
 - essence ST (beta drivers)
 - foobar + asio (32bit 10ms)
 - output: bluesky exo

I have just received 3xopa2137p. I swapped them with the jrc's (the buffer opamp was lm4562 stock).The problem is that if i set the volume to 0db in foobar i get a crackling sound. If i set it to -5db(or lower) the problem disappears.
i checked if the opamps have been installed correctly and they seemed ok.
The sound i got using this setup was pretty bad - the sound is wider and i can hear almost everything but i have no bass and the mids are pretty lame

I then used the jrc's as I/V and the opa2137P as buffer. The sound is .... i don;t know how to put it....it's wider and the sounds get separated but i think it lost some of the sharpness.
The crackling sound now appears if i set the volume on foobar at more than -3db.

Has anyone encountered such a problem with the OPA2137? Have i damaged them while i was installing them?
i have not burrend in the opamps.(could this be the issue? - i really don't think so).

Jul 4, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #1,629 of 1,781
ROBSCIX,

Are you going to be finalizing your review of the Essence ST anytime soon? I am really looking forward to your conclusions and opinions of different opamps.
I have already bought the card and have been using it for a few months but haven't gone ahead and changed any of the opamps yet.

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #1,631 of 1,781
It's been more than 3 months since asus posted these lousy beta drivers for ST. And nothing since then! What a bunch of lazy arses.

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #1,632 of 1,781

Quote:
ROBSCIX,

Are you going to be finalizing your review of the Essence ST anytime soon? I am really looking forward to your conclusions and opinions of different opamps.
I have already bought the card and have been using it for a few months but haven't gone ahead and changed any of the opamps yet.

Thanks!

The review was released a little while back.  I never added a bunch of views on opamps, just some general ideas and options.
If your interested have a look here-> Review
To note, some never change their opamps, they find them a good match for the gear they already have.  Opamps are very personal to your gear and your tastes.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #1,633 of 1,781
A guy on asus forums released a modded driver for ST based from the xense one.
When running with the new asio  you don't get the looping sound "bug" when you open a direct sound stream like a youtube video or games.

Also i tested the mic monitor and it seems to me that there is almost no delay so people with guitars / synths try them yourself to see if the delay is bearable.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100712022314656&board_id=21&model=Xonar+Essence+ST&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #1,634 of 1,781
A very intresting review!

Is there any jitter measurment, especially to see the 31% jitter reduction, in comparison to STX?

smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back