Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Apr 9, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #1,562 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audi4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes i have, and also removed the drivers.

As i said i used the same cable as with the realtek, but the spifout in the ST didnt work as it did with the realtek, so i changed to RCA cable between the ST and my receivers CD input, and voila everthing worked fine. So tomorrow i have to buy an optical cable to get adventage of dolby digital.

I am impressed so far...and the missing bass with HD650 is also gone. I had never thought the HD 650 could produce so much bass, is almost sounds like D5000/7000
biggrin.gif

Could i damage the Denon AH-D7000 if i use high gain?

Dolby Digital encoding would not be an advantage when using this card.
This card has high quality DAC's and unless you are using a very high end receiver using S/pdif output might actually be a downgrade.

If you are using RCA analog connections, I would think this would give you the best sound possible. By all means try S/pdif and use your ears to decide, if you don't have the H6 card then you may need to use DDL for surround sound.

I hope I explained it properly.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #1,563 of 1,781
Kuze;6541891 said:
foobar2000: Components Repository - WASAPI output support
Download extract file to foobar2000 > components, make sure foobar is closed, open foobar select Output "Output Devices" then click on "WASAPI : Speakers" apply, OK.

Many thanks for your replies

As you understand i am very "green" on this things, so i have anohter stupid question, and that is what is foobar2000
confused.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #1,565 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dolby Digital encoding would not be an advantage when using this card.
This card has high quality DAC's and unless you are using a very high end receiver using S/pdif output might actually be a downgrade.

If you are using RCA analog connections, I would think this would give you the best sound possible. By all means try S/pdif and use your ears to decide, if you don't have the H6 card then you may need to use DDL for surround sound.

I hope I explained it properly.

Many thanks for your replies

Yes, you explained it very well, ever to me.

The dac is probarly ok in my receiver as it was the flagship(905) some time back.

To take adventage of PC games that use DD i have to connect with spif between the ST and the receiver. But then you do that you also uses the receivers dacs?.

I use both analog and spif, and it sounds beutifully, no matter signal.

I dont need the H6 card as the receiver do all processing if i am correct

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #1,566 of 1,781
Well if your card had the H6 DAC expansion board then you could connect up using a 5.1 system to receiver/speakers.

Anytime you are using S/Pdif output you are using the DAC's in the next device.

Glad I could help.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #1,567 of 1,781
Quote:

Well if your card had the H6 DAC expansion board then you could connect up using a 5.1 system to receiver/speakers.

Anytime you are using S/Pdif output you are using the DAC's in the next device.

Glad I could help.

Thanks again

Yes you are very helpfull. As i am noob i realy need ppl like you to enjoy this card as max.

As i said my receiver do all the digital processing, so i quess it does the same processing to the ST with spif(optical cable) as it does with my BD player and PS3?

BTW i am very impressed with the ST so far , with both HP amp and ordinary stereo listning through analog and digital, not to meantion that the DD games have got a new life

I use a 7.1 system and then i enable dolby digital live in the ST panel my receiver says dolby digital so i quess my receiver do the processing work.

So i dont see any benefit with a H6 card

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #1,568 of 1,781
The benefit comes if the ST w/ H6 card has higher quality DAC's in comparison to the receiver. In many cases low to mid grade and even some high grade receivers have lower grade S/Pdif input sections in comprison to many modern internal/external sound sources.

Add in the fact that Dolby Digital Live is a lossy compression and you are losing even more possible quality. You have stereo through analog and surround through DDL so yes the receiver is processing the Dolby Digital stream. It is a posibility that using an H6 to discrete analog inputs (if you have them) on the receiver would produce higher sound quality. It is just a maybe though without checking out the DAC's etc.

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #1,569 of 1,781
Quote:

The benefit comes if the ST w/ H6 card has higher quality DAC's in comparison to the receiver. In many cases low to mid grade and even some high grade receivers have lower grade S/Pdif input sections in comprison to many modern internal/external sound sources.

Add in the fact that Dolby Digital Live is a lossy compression and you are losing even more possible quality. You have stereo through analog and surround through DDL so yes the receiver is processing the Dolby Digital stream. It is a posibility that using an H6 to discrete analog inputs (if you have them) on the receiver would produce higher sound quality. It is just a maybe though without checking out the DAC's etc.

Many thanks again for a very good explanation

Seems like i learned something new again today. Then using the PS3 and the Blue ray player with HDMI connection and the Xbox 360 with optical connection, do i use a lossy compresson for this units to?
Anyway here its the data for my receiver

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/pro...n_5748504.html

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #1,575 of 1,781
Quote:

The H6 card has been seen in some shops but they are being released very slowly.

Truthfully i wouldn't even bother investing in an H6 add-on it should've came standard with the ST, that's like 100 bucks when i could divert the money else where like good receiver with spdif, or towards Xense which comes with full surround.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back