Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Mar 4, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #1,382 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We did, I don't know if we still do now...
I know they ordered a lot less H6 than they ordered ST for some reason.

I recall someone complaining about not being able to find it about 1mth ago.
So maybe it's already sold out and they haven't bothered to order a new batch.

The marketing of these cards in the Netherlands is ridiculous. Asus don't even list the ST on asus.nl, let alone the H6 daughter card. There are a couple of retailers selling the ST, but to this day not a single one selling the H6 card!

There are a couple of German retailers that list it, but including international shipping that would cost me 55 euros just for the H6. If it was up to the quality of the ST and had a properly shielded interconnect and shielding for the opamps then I might consider it reasonable value. As it is all I can say is: Asus, I'm not buying until you sort this out!

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #1,383 of 1,781
Yeah its def. been a real after-thought, and they've made zilch effort worldwide in marketing/distribution.
Quite disappointing really...

I'm glad I managed to get hold of my H6, but agree that QC is not quite up to the same standard as the ST.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #1,384 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ST has SVM, which is similar to DRC...have you not tried this option?
Although I don't think it would give you quite what you're after.

I don't actually have an ST yet, as my previous post probably explains. If this Smart Volume does what they say it does:

01.jpg

then it could well be what I'm after. Does anyone have any experience with it? Does it only work properly with games?

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #1,386 of 1,781
Quote:

Just new standards, such as the new Pro-Logic IIz...that is available on receivers but currently I have not seen it on any consumer soundcards.
Usually what is available on a receiver will end up in the soundcards sooner or later as those are the current audio standards.

Pro Logic IIz upmixes to 9.1. You won't find it on any soundcards until there is a 10 channel soundcard released.

The H6 still hasn't been released in the USA as far as I can tell. I purchased an H6 from someone with the HDAV Deluxe 1.3 card.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #1,390 of 1,781
Hmm, well if that's one aspect of Pro Logic IIz then I guess it'll have to come as part of totally revised card.
As I doubt they'll allow partially implemented Pro Logic IIz via software, for cards that can't do this? ...

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #1,391 of 1,781
Well, if you could move the side channels to the fronts as some receiver is seen allowed you to Biamp a set of fronts or have the front low and highs as in IIZ.
Anyway this is getting a bit off topic. Point being new audio features are usually seen on receivers and consumer gear first then move to soundcards ..etc later on.
There is not too much that is on receivers that you cannot find on a soudcard aside from the routing and amplification.

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #1,393 of 1,781
Hi,
although not sure if this is a "headphone only" forum, I'd still like to share my air experiences.
I recently purchased a set of 4 Dynaudio Audience 122's and its complement center. I have been listening to one pair of the Dynaudios over my audio equipment: Rotel RCD-1072 with Duson (previous Audio Analyse mentioned here) Class A pre- and power (50W) amps, but also over my Essence ST with stock opamps.

I was astonished about the enormous clarity of the ST over the Rotel. Not that the Rotel is bad, I am very happy with it. Since the Dynaudio speakers are very neutral, but detailed and crystal clear, the ST does have a notch of brightness that could become fatiguing over time.
In any case, I am considering to try out some opamps, also on my Rotel (stock with OPA2277 opamps). For the Rotel I'd like to try a pair of Bursons and for the ST I am not yet finished with reading these forums, but I think I will start with some IC opamps, just to start somewhere.

I do have a question though. I was wondering what your opnions are with respect to ripping CD audio. Would it really be a noticable difference when I rip the CDs using the Rotel and the Digital output to my PC with a Xonar D2/PM Digital input? Or is it just as well ripping directly from the DVD player in the PC? Anyone with experience in this?

cheers
PietPara

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #1,394 of 1,781
Why don't you just use your PC's optical drive to rip them?
Use a good application and your set.
You can set up an external CD player, link it up to a card using digital...etc.
Seems like the long way aorund if you get my meaning.

Mar 6, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #1,395 of 1,781
Quote:

Why don't you just use your PC's optical drive to rip them?
Use a good application and your set.
You can set up an external CD player, link it up to a card using digital...etc.
Seems like the long way aorund if you get my meaning.

I know it's the long way, but I wonder if using the Rotel's CD drive system and possibly its digital electronics is better than that of the PC's cheapo plastic optical drive. I mean, why would they otherwise build super expensive CD players with super duper drive systems like the $20.000 Wadia's or TEAC VRDS players? I also sometimes think all that is just marketing BS, but never were sure.
Basically it comes down to the question whether a simple PC optical drive rips just as bit perfect as a more expensive audio CD player.

What do you suggest is a good application for Ripping? I "always" use Nero or just WMP.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back