Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Mar 3, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #1,366 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because I rip Blu-rays with lossless FLAC for the audio, i don't have to worry about PAP or downsampling with the Essence ST. Have you read this thread at AVSForum: Is a PAP relevant at all for practically any listener and/or source material??

Sure, as I pointed out there are always different ways to get what you want for A/V, if you want to take the time ripping and/or transcoding. If you are into Blu-ray though it is nice to just be able to pop in the disk and away you go. I think many still consider this a niche market for PC...

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #1,370 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by taiyoyuden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But... I want it like yours =o

Mine? The one I have uses a ribbon cable similar to the ones on the HDAV 1.3
. Oh you mean the pics in that sneak peak I did? That was a Eng sample that was used for the sneak peak, it was promptly returned.

To do this to your cable is not that hard just pull the ribbon apart so you have 2-3 wires per bundle then add the sleeving over top. Use some heat shrink to tighten the end of the sleeving and make it look solid and professional.

Here is a tutorial for you but I take no responsibility for you ruining your cable!
Sleeving tutorial

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #1,371 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no, I got the ST Deluxe ages ago....

I mean to ask you, you guys have the H6 where you live now?
They still seem a bit hard to find by some but they are out there.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #1,372 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To note, originally the HDAV 1.3 would downsample to 16/48 as would other cards for analog but it was fixed along time ago. If you find any options for these audio standards on other cards, aside from ripping and transcoding them, let me know. If I find anything I will do the same.

I do intend to reinvestigate, but it's low on the list right now...
If I do find anything you'll be amongst the 1st to know, as you've often been very helpful to me!

Cheers

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #1,373 of 1,781
Quote:

I mean to ask you, you guys have the H6 where you live now?
They still seem a bit hard to find by some but they are out there.

We did, I don't know if we still do now...
I know they ordered a lot less H6 than they ordered ST for some reason.

I recall someone complaining about not being able to find it about 1mth ago.
So maybe it's already sold out and they haven't bothered to order a new batch.

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #1,374 of 1,781
Quote:

Yeah I'm the same,
I think the only things I'll end-up with outside of my HTPC are; amp for spkrs (maybe cans too), and switching gear.

I guess what I was wanting to be sure of is....
With the right sound-card & software, can one do everything these devices are capable of?

After looking at both closely I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.
But I'm just concerned I'm missing something!

Anyone? Thank-you.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #1,376 of 1,781
Quote:

With the right sound-card & software, can one do everything these devices are capable of?

I also see the ST + H6 as a competitor to HD AV receivers. Personally I would be looking into the support for DRC for night-time listening without having to constantly fiddle with the volume. I'm not convinced that the DRC provided in software by AC3filter is as good as what I could get from a high-end AV receiver, but then I haven't done much research into the topic.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #1,377 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by phusg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also see the ST + H6 as a competitor to HD AV receivers. Personally I would be looking into the support for DRC for night-time listening without having to constantly fiddle with the volume. I'm not convinced that the DRC provided in software by AC3filter is as good as what I could get from a high-end AV receiver, but then I haven't done much research into the topic.

The ST has SVM, which is similar to DRC...have you not tried this option?
Although I don't think it would give you quite what you're after.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #1,378 of 1,781
Quote:

Pretty much yes. There may be some new standards available on high end receivers that have not made it to soundcards yet.

Yeah but not on those two devices right?
Can you elaborate a little on what you mean by "new standards"?

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #1,379 of 1,781
Just new standards, such as the new Pro-Logic IIz...that is available on receivers but currently I have not seen it on any consumer soundcards.
Usually what is available on a receiver will end up in the soundcards sooner or later as those are the current audio standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back