Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Feb 7, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #1,246 of 1,781
yes I mean low.

I have some other issues also. I have never ever been able to make computer sound as full, musical and just plain good as even stand alone cheap CD players. It just does not seems possible. The bass is lacking, the treble is sharper, etc... I think it is caused by jitter, but not sure.

Empirical Audio USB Off Ramp 3 should solve it, but then you cant use soundcards. Check it out. So if it does - it really is jitter doing it.

But that is also why its hard to buy expensive soundcards for the PC as there is some inherit flaws. My X-can V3 on computer, no matter what i did, didnt sound nearly as good as X-can V3 just connected to cheap sony dvd player.

K

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #1,247 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I tested the ST it was dead silent. If your heairng some type of noise it must be from another source such as PSU noise, bus noise or possibly floating inputs.

Do you think that PSU with shielded cables may help ?

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #1,248 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by h4sy0u /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think that PSU with shielded cables may help ?

I would think your on the right track, in that your possibly hearing noise introduced form the PSU.
Is your card on it's own tap from the PSU or is there another device sharing the power cable?

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #1,251 of 1,781
Not a very friendly thread unless you ask really geeky and hi-tech questions only(this doesn't apply to entire forum).

I hope it's not o hard to answer: is it worth to upgrade PSU for the sake of better ST sound quality?!

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #1,253 of 1,781
I was sort of having the same issue. I hear no hiss in the background when in total silence, but when i played music I could hear small distortions in the sound even when playing CD's.
I connected my amp to my UPS which my computer was already connected to, and this "seemed" to fixed it.
Now I'm just worried about my dynamics being killed, I read before in some other thread in these forums UPS can do that to sound, but I will have to do more tests to verify the accuracy of these statements.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #1,254 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by giedrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a very friendly thread unless you ask really geeky and hi-tech questions only(this doesn't apply to entire forum).

I hope it's not o hard to answer: is it worth to upgrade PSU for the sake of better ST sound quality?!

No. Unless your going to build an seperate high quality PSU you will notice little gains just switching brands of PSU.
Unless your current model is a very old/dirty beast that is just polluting the card that is.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #1,255 of 1,781
Quote:

There are some very opinionated people here but most are friendly. Only a few that seem to try to be disagreeable. Some in an effort to support thier positions resort to unreasonable situations that nothing can really sound good with & then say its the card that is bad because it don't sound good in that circumstance. Of coarse those that know better are going to say something about it so others don't get the wrong impression. I can understand your feeling on this though as it probably don't look good to others that are just joining in on Head Fi.

I agree with Robscix on this not worth the time & money to go to a better powersupply unless the one you have is really old & dirty electrically. Most newer supplies are pretty clean actually given the momentary currents they have to deliver. We are talking 100 watt swings of power instantaniously & still keep voltage ripple really low.

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #1,256 of 1,781
Thank you all. I appreciate your inputs.
My PSU is not that old, Dell 375W. It's just that since i installed ST a month ago, i had 2 blue screens already for the first time on this PC in 2 years. I was wondering if that might be from the lack of power and ST being power hungry. Other than that, it works an sounds great.

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #1,257 of 1,781
Quote:

Thank you all. I appreciate your inputs.
My PSU is not that old, Dell 375W. It's just that since i installed ST a month ago, i had 2 blue screens already for the first time on this PC in 2 years. I was wondering if that might be from the lack of power and ST being power hungry. Other than that, it works an sounds great.

Audio cards in general are not really power hungry. As you can see there is no heatsinks on it & in fact that nice cover they have tends to hold some heat in. I suspect the driver interacting negatively to other software you have. Not sure if you are using it for gaming at all but some games can cause blue screens with different audio cards. I've had no blue screens here with the STX card.

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #1,258 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by krisno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some other issues also. I have never ever been able to make computer sound as full, musical and just plain good as even stand alone cheap CD players. It just does not seems possible. The bass is lacking, the treble is sharper, etc... I think it is caused by jitter, but not sure.

From what I've read your choice of AKG Acoustics K 701 headphones may explain a lot of what you're describing. They are said to be highly-detailed/bright which could explain what you describe as sharp treble and lack of musicality. They are also open-ear which could explain the perceived lack of bass.

Have you ever properly auditioned closed-ear headphones that have a warmer/darker character?

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #1,260 of 1,781
With my ST and a 300 W PSU, connected separetly, there is no hiss through speakers or headphone in any case, although with onboard's sound card, (Analogue Devices sound max cadenza), there was!

Please, is it known for the volume control of the ST, if it reduces the resolution, so it must be at maximum position always? Because the green part on ASUS control, suggests that it keeps lower the distortion when we use the left part? So which is the optimum point?

Thank you.

000203FA.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back