Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Nov 30, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #946 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can buy the ST in the USA at overstock.com. Mine will arrive on Monday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ncix.com in canada has a few left as well. although i think they ship to the us as well, they have a us store.

Thanks very much for your help!!

By closely looking at some of the digital pictures of the ST and STX, my findings are:
(1) From PCB layout standpoint, for the circuit of AV100 chip on ST, it is rotated 90 degree comparing to STX's.
(2) On STX PCB, the 10-pins footprint for Cirrus Logic CS2000 IC is there but ASUS just does not solder the CS2000 chip there by leaving it blank.

As I did not have either ST or STX in hand at this moment, I will leave ST/STX owner to comment/confirm my above view.

By looking further, as my current working view, it seems to be possible to upgrade the STX's clock by adding the "missing" CS2000 (and changing some resistor/cap etc ???). Then technically we match STX to ST as I am sure PCI-E version can live longer than PCI. Of course there are still a lot technical homework to do.....

At least very nice and big pictures from both ST owner and STX owner should be helpful to investigate further....

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #947 of 1,781
A stupid question I realize, so I'll probably get fragged for asking it, but here goes: I just got the ST in this afternoon. In looking at the 1/4" input it says mic/line. However it doesn't say if the line in is stereo or not. You would think it would almost have to be stereo but we all know what happens when we assume. I know I could find out by breaking it open & reading the manual but if it isn't stereo I'm sending it back & that would probably be easier w/ the packaging still sealed. So what's the deal here? Thanks in advance.

Ben (putting on flameproof pants now)

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #949 of 1,781
Perhaps if you want a K701 along with it
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #950 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenWaB3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A stupid question I realize, so I'll probably get fragged for asking it, but here goes: I just got the ST in this afternoon. In looking at the 1/4" input it says mic/line. However it doesn't say if the line in is stereo or not. You would think it would almost have to be stereo but we all know what happens when we assume. I know I could find out by breaking it open & reading the manual but if it isn't stereo I'm sending it back & that would probably be easier w/ the packaging still sealed. So what's the deal here? Thanks in advance.

Ben (putting on flameproof pants now)

Stereo.

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #951 of 1,781
No way I "FINALLY" just got mine, yay!
Good luck with it though, surely they should be in the US very soon.

U.S/E.U. normally get everything waaaay before Australia.
This is a nice change :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone want to sell me a Asus Xonar Essence ST ?

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #953 of 1,781
Robscix or somebody else mind telling me if I could use a dual OPA 637SM on the ST, I will be using the line out so by what i have been able to understand so far is that I might be able to use them as the buffer.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #956 of 1,781
No, not in my opinion.
The I/V changes the sound the most and the buffer seems to highlight or surpress certain aspects of the sound if that makes sense.

Such as using a buffer opamps that is "warm" because your I/V opamps are edgy and so the buffer will roll off the high range on the I/V.

You don't have to go with the SM version of the 637. There are other grade, AU,AM BP..etc.

They would never fit in the I/V section without using some type of mod or extension anyhow.
The adapters make them too wide for the I/V section on any of those cards as the sockets are very close and on the one side of the socket there is tall Caps

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #957 of 1,781
Well thats good to know, I didnt want to spend all that money for minimal benefits.
I guess for now my opamp search will have to be based first on soundstage, and second on non-harshness of the sound, so there seems to be lots of reading ahead of me...

Thx again btw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back