Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Oct 16, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #796 of 1,781
Is it possible to use an inline volume controller from the headphone amplifier jack on the ST and have the headphones connected to the other end of the controller?

If so, does the inline volume controller effect any quality between the ST and the headphones?

And, if it does, which inline volume controller should I be looking for? I remember reading of a shure one but I forgot the model and can't find it ._.

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #797 of 1,781
Imaging definately better on the ST than STX which is just wrong in comparison. Not as good as musiland monitor 02us yet though. I'm hoping the st will run in to be better though. Same true for digital output.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #798 of 1,781
What the Kiwis got it before Oz?!? LOL it's prolly here now too....

I just haven't checked as I'm still awaiting confirmation that an allocation for H6's has been approved by Asus.
Once I know there's definitely a reasonable no. coming into the retail chain, then I'll look at local availability of the ST.

Quote:

Originally Posted by macrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Xonar ST has finally arrived. I had it on backorder for so long I had given up hope. I have just put in 3 lme49720na opamps and I'm about to install it..

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #801 of 1,781
I'm going with the ST because all my audio is on my computer, and I use it for movies and games as well. Also I'm in front of my computer a lot doing homework, reading, etc. 18 credit hours
frown.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #803 of 1,781
Why is the headphone out so much more livelier then the line out?

edit: to answer myself more distortion it seems
frown.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #804 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif

If your using to to drive another amplifer YES. Your overdriving the next device. It would raise the SNR and add distortion for sure as you said.

If your connecting a set of phonee to the line out, they would sound duller if your cans are high impedance as the line out is low power compared to the headphone output.

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #806 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by taiyoyuden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused, what's the line out?

The RCA outputs. They are what's called line outputs. They are within the industry standard for line level. Amps have line inputs and line outputs...etc. You would use these inputs and output for connecting up to other consumer gear such as CD players, receivers, EQ's..etc. The can amplifier is just that a output with more amplification for your headphones.

Note, There is consumer line level which you would deal with when connecting consumer gear as was mentioned. There is also another standard which deals with line leve of professional recording gear. That is not really involved in this situation...

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #807 of 1,781
If you intend to use the built-in amp then you use the headphone out.
If you intend to use a dedicated amp then you use the line out (RCA outputs).

If you've got a dedicated amp, you usually don't need to plug an amp into an amplified port.

Find out more about your headphones and whether they "need" amplification.
If they do what is the minimum (ohms) required to drive them?

So long as the ST's built-in amp can output at that level (they should cover most cans), you'll be fine.
If you've got a dedicated amp & it's specced to cover your headphones, again you're good to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #808 of 1,781
Once your ST's burnt in I'd be very interested in what your thoughts are between it and the Musiland...

I've no real need for an external sound card at this stage.
I want a high quality card that can be integrated into my HTPC/AVR.

But longer term I'll want one; mainly because they're portable which means one can have quality sound output when travelling etc! ;-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by macrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imaging definately better on the ST than STX which is just wrong in comparison. Not as good as musiland monitor 02us yet though. I'm hoping the st will run in to be better though. Same true for digital output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back