Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Sep 15, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #691 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by e6600 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont think hes an actual asus employee.. he may have contacts and info, but its not like hes pulling the decision making at asus marketing

I am a reviewer for another website. I have high level contacts in most audio card companies. Some information I have, I can share...other information I can't.
I try to use my contacts to bring the audio community new information when available such as the ST/STX sneak peak or the X-Meridian,Prelude, HTHD 7.1 pics/specs etc. I also have more sneak peaks coming soon!
I do what I can to bring info to the people that want it.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #694 of 1,781
The STX is $200 USD Retail in the USA. $237 for the ST is a pretty good deal considering it's not released here yet.

I'm just on the fence about it because I don't have good or any headphones yet. It'll be useless for my Logitech z-5500 for the time being as well. Also I might get a large store credit to a PC store here for a recent unrelated purchase that I want to use on the ST when it does come out here. Then again, I could just buy some decent headphones now with the ST... o_o.

Oh and my whole signature is a joke. None of it is true. I thought you guys would make fun of me for it but no one has yet.
frown.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #695 of 1,781
I would seriously consider doing the same thing as you but the problem is we've heard nothing more from Asus about the status of the expansion cards.
So how can we really say they're definitely going to be available?

That for me is a deal breaker :frowning2:
There's no denying it would be a beautiful card for headphones, but I also want a beautiful card for speakers!

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #696 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by taiyoyuden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The STX is $200 USD Retail in the USA. $237 for the ST is a pretty good deal considering it's not released here yet.

I'm just on the fence about it because I don't have good or any headphones yet. It'll be useless for my Logitech z-5500 for the time being as well. Also I might get a large store credit to a PC store here for a recent unrelated purchase that I want to use on the ST when it does come out here. Then again, I could just buy some decent headphones now with the ST... o_o.

Oh and my whole signature is a joke. None of it is true. I thought you guys would make fun of me for it but no one has yet.
frown.gif

Actually, for the Z-5500's you can use the digital output using the DDL encoder until you get the H6 DAC board or a set of good cans. Oh, I thought you were really using a SB Live...

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #697 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would seriously consider doing the same thing as you but the problem is we've heard nothing more from Asus about the status of the expansion cards.

There's no denying it would be a beautiful card for headphones, but I also want a beautiful card for speakers!

They haven't gave an official date as to when they will be released. They do mention the expansion card in the official information on their site:

Multi-channel Upgradable
Essence ST is designed to allow full 7.1 surround enjoyment with future upgrade. The high fidelity Xonar H6 multi-channel extension board sold separately in the future provides 120dB signal-to-noise ratio, offering the ultimate surround sound quality ever in the market.

I don't think there is any reason to assume they won't bother releasing them.
They put the Pin Header on the card for a reason and the cards are already in production for use on the HDAV 1.3. I think it is a matter of time.
Although I can see your point as you don't want to wait.
Perhaps look at another product from this line up or from another company.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #698 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, for the Z-5500's you can use the digital output using the DDL encoder until you get the H6 DAC board or a set of good cans. Oh, I thought you were really using a SB Live...

Success. You have been bamboozled.
regular_smile .gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #699 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by taiyoyuden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Success. You have been bamboozled.
regular_smile .gif

Hmm, I've just realised I could do the same for my old Z-680 speaker set. (grand daddy to the 5500's)
Then "if" the expansion card becomes available I'll get it and some new speakers!

Hmm, there's still just too many unknowns though...
Think I'll continue to look at the HDAV deluxe and other alternatives until I hear more about availability of the H6, & H6 + ST in Australia.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #701 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a reviewer for another website. I have high level contacts in most audio card companies. Some information I have, I can share...other information I can't.
I try to use my contacts to bring the audio community new information when available such as the ST/STX sneak peak or the X-Meridian,Prelude, HTHD 7.1 pics/specs etc. I also have more sneak peaks coming soon!
I do what I can to bring info to the people that want it.

theres no doubt that we are extremely grateful to have you releasing info and knowledge about the cards
beerchug.gif

its not too often to have a reviewer is so involved with his/her readers..
regular_smile .gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #702 of 1,781
Quote:

theres no doubt that we are extremely grateful to have you releasing info and knowledge about the cards
beerchug.gif

regular_smile .gif

Thank you for the kind words, they are appreciated.
I enjoy audio and enjoy talking with people about audio.
Hopefully, there will be more sneak peaks and information on upcoming toys for us PC audio lovers.
beerchug.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #703 of 1,781
My sentiments exactly...
If you're ever passing through Brisbane/Australia; I owe you a beer or 10!
Keep chasing those leads Rob, and keep us in the loop if you can.

Quote:

beerchug.gif

regular_smile .gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #704 of 1,781
Quote:

...we've heard nothing more from Asus about the status of the expansion cards.

I'm totally with you on that one. What I'm hoping is the logical explanation for the delay is that Asus is designing/producing an 'audiophile' second version of the H6 daughtercard with

a) a better quality/EMI shielded connection
b) an EMI shield for the opamps just like on the ST mothercard (with 3 little lion/sphinx thingies printed on it while they're at it!)

As far as I can see such a bundle would be the business for 6 channel HD sound (with 5.1 LPCM soundtracks) and would make it a competitor to the newer AV recievers supporting the new HD codecs like DTS-MA etc. At least that's how my wallet sees it.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #705 of 1,781
Quote:

My sentiments exactly...
If you're ever passing through Brisbane/Australia; I owe you a beer or 10!
Keep chasing those leads Rob, and keep us in the loop if you can.

I will do what I can to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back