Xonar Essence ST bypass built-in amp
Jul 20, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 39
And what about....(drum roll).........using the line out!
confused.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 39
Using ST's line out will bypass its internal HP amp.

Quote:
the digital line out?

That would work too, that is, assuming you have an external DAC...

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #6 of 39
pretty much, analog line-out bypass the internal HP amp as was said. the buffer op-amp is used instead. there is a relay in the circuit that allows to do this, it's the clicking sound you hear when you swith between 'Analog Out' options.

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 39
what opamp's do you use?

Jul 27, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 39
i mean op-amp

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #12 of 39
I know this is somewhat outdated, just posting if someone is curious (I actually stared very hard on my card to find out what those 5 ports do - I only use the headphone jack lol)

So this is from top to bottom:
Red - Analog Output Front Right - RCA  - To AMP / Speaker.
White - Analog Output Front Left - RCA  - To AMP / Speaker.
Black 1 - Analog Output 6.30mm jack *1 To Headphone
Black 2 - Analog Input line in 6.30mm jack *1 To Other source
Gray - Digital S/PDIF Output to DAC

Or check the manual :D

Also there is a new driver 7.12.8.1794 available, in case you are interested.

Manual and drivers can be obtained from the following link.
http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_Essence_ST/#dwnload

*I have removed the wrong information about TCA jack being amplified*

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #13 of 39
By the way the analog output has amplification. So you might want to check with Asus how to turn of the amplification - probably dummy op-amp or something. So if you want to skip amplification for sure is to use the digital out - but you will be missing a very nice DAC function that comes with Xonar - your choice.

Are you sure about that? Isn't the HP out the only one that is amplified? I thought the RCA out was merely a line-out. I'm currently using the analog output to feed a Little Dot MKIII. Does this mean that I'm driving my HPs with double amplification? :eek:
Does double amping jeopardize SQ?

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #14 of 39
Long story short:- You are right. There is no amplification. I apologize for the wrong information, and sorry if I have raised unnecessary panic to you :p I was curious as well so I log a case with Asus. Here's the reply:

"The RCA outputs are line-level outputs, i.e., they are not amplified and you cannot connect speakers without built-in amplifier directly to them. (Only the headphone output has an amplifier.)

To get surround sound out of the ST, you need to use either a digital output (optical or coaxial) or the H6 daughterboard."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back