XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Apr 28, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #916 of 3,865
03_AES67_now.jpg

New RAVENNA Website!​

>>> RAVENNA AoIP networking has a new website

RAVENNA & AES67

On September 11th, 2013, the AES has finally published the AES67-2013 standard for audio applications of networks - High-performance streaming audio-over-IP interoperability. This White Paper describes why RAVENNA is already compatible with AES67 and what benefits RAVENNA can offer beyond.

AES67 - Standard for High-performance Streaming Audio-over-IP Interoperability

Presentation at NAB Broadcast Engineering Conference, April 2014

As RAVENNA is continued to be an open technology development, ALC NetworX encourages any interested party to participate in the enhancement and evolution of its capabilities. ALC NetworX is also happy to assist interested manufacturers in implementing RAVENNA into their products, as only a diversified product support will pave the way for a broad market acceptance.

http://ravenna.alcnetworx.com/infos-downloads/new-website.html

Apr 29, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #917 of 3,865
the challenger to F-1 will be coming soon. Let's wait and see and this will be a close fight, I believe. may and june will be very exciting to watch. 

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #918 of 3,865
from my experience with ethernet and the squeezebox touch you still get cable affects and noise passing through the ethernet cable even though there is galvanic isolation, so it's just swapping one set of issues for another.

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #920 of 3,865
  the challenger to F-1 will be coming soon. Let's wait and see and this will be a close fight, I believe. may and june will be very exciting to watch. 

Are you referring to the SU-1?

Thanks.

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #921 of 3,865

Yes - I'm due to get one of the 1st ones - I returned my failed Pro3a a few weeks ago.  Curious to see if the Pro4a used the XU208 or XU216 - it should have NDK SD clocks and DIYinHK'a ultra low regulators - but no FPGA isolation like the F-1 and likely the SU-1.

from my experience with ethernet and the squeezebox touch you still get cable affects and noise passing through the ethernet cable even though there is galvanic isolation, so it's just swapping one set of issues for another.

Well I'm not sure of the SB - doubt it's a TCP/IP protocol - so I guess it all depends on what's flowing through those copper CAT5/6 cables.  If as some propose that the Non-LAN USB extenders are - just passing a USB packet through the ethernet cable - I could see how that cable could effect the sound.  Now with a true layer 3 Audio-IP scheme, like AES67 or AVB not so much.

RB2013 - You posted links to two different metal cases and plastic cases.  Which is the one you find is a good fit and doesn't require screw mounting of the board?

This one - but it still needs holes drilled into the end plates. http://www.ebay.com/itm/161414428256?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Are you referring to the SU-1?

Thanks.

Both I believe the SU-1 in May and the DIYinHK DXIO Pro4a in June.

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #922 of 3,865

Well I'm not sure of the SB - doubt it's a TCP/IP protocol - so I guess it all depends on what's flowing through those copper CAT5/6 cables.  If as some propose that the Non-LAN USB extenders are - just passing a USB packet through the ethernet cable - I could see how that cable could effect the sound.  Now with a true level 3 Audio-IP scheme, like AES67 or AVB not so much.

SB has got a standard NIC (network interface controller - it's network card) built-in as any other computer. With standard TCP/IP protocol and galvanic isolation - as any other device on the ethernet network. SB has got also wifi card built-in if you don't like cables.
Otherwise it couldn't be connected to ethernet network.

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #923 of 3,865
Ethernet audio seems to have a bit of momentum. And it's prolly the right way, especially for big studios. Not sure what that Dante is but the aes67 standard looks good to me. And you're right, no need for tcp, the ip level should be enough (in theory you can go even lower in the newtork stack but cant use switches&co anymore).
And btw, not sure exactly how it works but this looks like an interesting & cheap device https://www.minidsp.com/products/network-audio/avb-dg

Ok I see the MiniDSP device is to convert FROM ethernet to i2s at the DAC end.  But it is 'only AVB' compatible not AES67.  The AVB standard has yet to be set by IEEE as far as I can tell.

Now from the RAVEENA website it is a AES67 std and will be compatible with AVB.  But I don't think it works necessarily in reverse.  But it is XMOS based! So a great start.

Now all we need is a AES67 RJ45 to i2s on a XMOS (or another chip) and we are cooking with gas!  We have AES67 to spdif/aes - it would be nice to see a low cost XMOS solution there though.

As I said I see the ext i2s on your DAC going away soon to be replaced by this...and maybe the USB DAC input as well...

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #924 of 3,865

SB has got a standard NIC (network interface controller - it's network card) built-in as any other computer. With standard TCP/IP protocol and galvanic isolation - as any other device on the ethernet network. SB has got also wifi card built-in if you don't like cables.
Otherwise it couldn't be connected to ethernet network.

Then the cable should make no difference - assuming it's true CAT5e to CAT6 std.

Like saying 'My Tidal sounds different when the IP packets route through SF vs Utah'

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #925 of 3,865

Then the cable should make no difference - assuming it's true CAT5e to CAT6 std.

Like saying 'My Tidal sounds different when the IP packets route through SF vs Utah'

Yes, ethernet cables make no difference especially that all packets have to go through at least one switch in LAN. 
And I think it's hard to find cables below 5e standard because it's the most popular now.
And if you unplug ethernet cable from SB it will be playing for several dozen seconds depends on the file quality - thanks to its buffer

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #926 of 3,865
  Yes, ethernet cables make no difference especially that all packets have to go through at least one switch in LAN. 
And I think it's hard to find cables below 5e standard because it's the most popular now.
And if you unplug ethernet cable from SB it will be playing for several dozen seconds depends on the file quality - thanks to its buffer

That's what I think too - but OP said:

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #927 of 3,865
  Repost - F-1 DDC of the decade!

Is there a version of this with a case or only as DIY unit? Would like to replace my Gustard U12 with the Singxer F-1.

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #928 of 3,865

That's what I think too - but OP said:
"from my experience with ethernet and the squeezebox touch you still get cable affects and noise passing through the ethernet cable even though there is galvanic isolation, so it's just swapping one set of issues for another."

Yes, saw it. It's my opinion, he has his own. Different people different experiences, different environments and rigs.
But there is a lot of devices on the LAN all must be with GI. From NIC in PC server, through swithes, to NIC in SB.
But if one need could always:
1. Unplug the ethernet cable from SB (it's still playing)
2. Use wifi
3. Use medical ethernet isolation
and then compare the sound :)
I haven't found differences

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #929 of 3,865

Yes, saw it. It's my opinion, he has his own. Different people different experiences, different environments and rigs.
But there is a lot of devices on the LAN all must be with GI. From NIC in PC server, through swithes, to NIC in SB.
But if one need could always:
1. Unplug the ethernet cable from SB (it's still playing)
2. Use wifi
3. Use medical ethernet isolation
and then compare the sound :)
I haven't found differences

Not to mention, twisted pair cable is, by design, built to reject noise and interference, otherwise it wouldn't be able to handle the bandwidth that it does for network use.

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #930 of 3,865
  Is there a version of this with a case or only as DIY unit? Would like to replace my Gustard U12 with the Singxer F-1.

Right now just without a case - but it is plug and play ready.  Very soon Singxer is launching the SU-1 fully boxed up and plug in ready.

It'll be roughly twice as expensive as the F-1.  So Stay tuned for the release announcement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back