XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Apr 29, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #961 of 3,865

No Problem here is the very long data chain:

PC>PPA V2 USB card>Forza Twin Copper Split USB cable>Startech LEX>CAT5e>Startech REX (with two JBs)>LH Labs 2G split USB cable (data only leg)>W4S Recovery>iPurifer2>F-1>AS Statement Silver SPDIF>APL DAC

Thanks a lot !  quite long indeed. 
I understand that optimizing this link pc to dac is very challenging.
I will try to focus the key elements first.  I mean the F1 i guess and try to give it a good 5VDC power.
Thanks again, gino 

Apr 29, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #962 of 3,865
I have to finish up a bunch of paperwork - so working in my office the rest of the afternoon.  So tonight will have a long listening session.

This will give it time to burnin - although do these kind of devices 'burnin'?  Don't know.

Note I did hear a SQ improvement by going from the included stock USB to the Forza Audio Split Twin Copper - definitely.  Just more of everything.

So Paul's comment on the USB cable feeding the LAN USB device does not matter  - doesn't sound true to my experience (Hey Paul -Heck of a job 'hyping' more cables!  You're the anti-hyper!).  The $79 Forza improved the sound.

Now the JBs' were interesting - noted increase in bass depth and maybe a slight darkening in the sound balance - but I liked that as the uber detailed F-1 is so clean, transparent, with tremendous air, and my maggies are not bass heavy speakers.  I noticed a touch more richness to the already incredibly rich tone.  This digital stream is sounding very analog with a ink black noise floor and better defined bass.

Just judging from the JBs I think there maybe room for greater improvement with some tweeking.

PS Now the REX power supply is 24V 1A - that is going to be hard to find a LPS to fed.  Thought of just adding a DC iPower to the stock unit.

Apr 29, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #964 of 3,865
Wait so the cheaper non gigabit versions are a no go? I thought you ordered both...

Yeah that one hasn't arrived yet.  But our thinking is it does not do the USB to TCP/IP conversion so misses some of the benefit.  We'll see.

Found this nice Acopian Yellowbox regulated LPS - 24V
240.52.1220.0050.0050.25A24MT210Order/QuoteM6
260.00​
Pretty spendy.
http://www.acopian.com/store/9-(7).aspx?min=18&max=25

Apr 29, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #965 of 3,865
If the device can not do USB to TCP/IP then you can not connect it to a Ethernet switch port on a wireless router for example. I wonder what bandwidth priority can be setup when someone is watching a video and transferring files on the LAN while you streaming music as well. Not sure how much control on audio traffic you can have with a LAN setup.  

Apr 29, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #966 of 3,865
  If the device can not do USB to TCP/IP then you can not connect it to a Ethernet switch port on a wireless router for example. I wonder what bandwidth priority can be setup when someone is watching a video and transferring files on the LAN while you streaming music as well. Not sure how much control on audio traffic you can have with a LAN setup.  

Well there are two that I ordered one is the 1GB LAN version  - that is the 'PS Audio' version - that is what I tested today.   You can go back a few pages ot see my comments - it's outstanding!

The other is a nonLAN version much cheaper - that should be here next week.

So far I am absolutely thrilled with Paul McGowen's discovery.

Three Cheers to him!
beerchug.gif

Apr 29, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #967 of 3,865

It's general USB to Ethernet converter not specific USB Audio one and it's unclear what protocol over tpc/ip is used for this purpose. So it would be hard to control of bandwidth.
And QoS has only use when the LAN is overloaded.

Apr 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #968 of 3,865

Yeah that one hasn't arrived yet.  But our thinking is it does not do the USB to TCP/IP conversion so misses some of the benefit.  We'll see.

Found this nice Acopian Yellowbox regulated LPS - 24V
240.52.1220.0050.0050.25A24MT210Order/QuoteM6
260.00​
Pretty spendy.
http://www.acopian.com/store/9-(7).aspx?min=18&max=25

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/lvregulatorkit.html  You can DIY a nice little 24v PSU for MUCH less.

Apr 29, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #970 of 3,865

http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/impressions-the-merging-technology-nadac-mc-8-dsd-dac/

But with audio/video data, you have very time-sensitive data. We notice problems with delays or interruptions when we're streaming media, watching a YouTube video or Netflix, or listening to a favorite Quad DSD recording on an Ethernet-based device like the NADAC. Since most households simply have whatever switch they ran down to Office Depot or Best Buy to pick up, they are running unmanaged switches. That's a problem, due to the fact that you cannot set Ethernet data traffic priorities with an unmanaged switch.
What you'll want to consider purchasing is a really good managed switch for your LAN's connection from your music server, notebook, or network attached storage (NAS) to your NADAC. The Dell 2808 managed Ethernet switch is a very good, cost-effective (right now it's on sale for $129 at the Dell Web site) option that will get you 8 managed ports (HERE). Merging Technologies recommends and supports it. What a managed switch will give you is hardware support for port management, a Web interface to administer your switch, and software that will give you an administrative program for doing this easily.
When you have a managed switch in place and its software installed, you'll be able to browse to your switch and setup your ports for what we call "Quality of Service" (QoS). You can then pick the port that you're plugging your server or notebook into, the port that you're plugging your NADAC into, and specify that those ports are to receive priority handling. This assures QoS, and is usually used for multimedia data streams. Having this in place will assure the best possible performance in your LAN, and will minimize the effect that traffic and multiple devices will have on your audio playback.

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #971 of 3,865
  I ordered the best Ethernet cable that BJ had:

Cat 6a Patch Cords--BJC C6AP
Bonded Pairs, Cat 6a, 500 MHz; Rated CMR for installation
Every cable individually tested, with report

3ft - $21 shipped

I use this for the dual JPLAY PC setup and it has bettered 1 to 2% of the taiwanese cat6a cables. 

so I have never bothered to look at audioquest and so on.

Apr 29, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #972 of 3,865

I use this for the dual JPLAY PC setup and it has bettered 1 to 2% of the taiwanese cat6a cables. 

so I have never bothered to look at audioquest and so on.

How far my system has come just in the last few months - I have to say - I'm tempted to try an AQ maybe a $37 Forest CAT 6 - just to see.

How much more can it improve?  Got to hit the wall at some point...then it's just changes that are different not better...

Apr 30, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #973 of 3,865
  The other is a nonLAN version much cheaper - that should be here next week.... 

Good morning and thanks a lot again for all your valuable effort and disclosing of very interesting findings.
This one nonLAN could just be my target.  I do not need the LAN feature at all. 
The brain of the system i the PC and the files are on both NAS and external HDs.
I will wait with great interest your findings.

So far I am absolutely thrilled with Paul McGowen's discovery. Three Cheers to him!
beerchug.gif

You are right.  A really nice man.  I like his way of presenting things.
However i wonder who was the wise guy that chose USB as a link for audio signal transmission 
rolleyes.gif

it is just not possible that in order to get a decent transmission all this sort of accessories is needed.
I am not saying that they do not work.  I am saying that is insane.
If one thing is clear to me is that Ethernet would have been a much much better choice. 
L3000.gif

Maybe they want us to struggle, to suffer, to test pain  ...
confused_face.gif

I have the mitiganting circumstance that i am dumb.
But those are engineers ... oioioioi ... 
frown.gif

Thanks sincerely again.
Have a nice day,  gino

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #975 of 3,865
  Yes - I'm due to get one of the 1st ones - I returned my failed Pro3a a few weeks ago.  Curious to see if the Pro4a used the XU208 or XU216 - it should have NDK SD clocks and DIYinHK'a ultra low regulators - but no FPGA isolation like the F-1 and likely the SU-1.

Well I'm not sure of the SB - doubt it's a TCP/IP protocol - so I guess it all depends on what's flowing through those copper CAT5/6 cables.  If as some propose that the Non-LAN USB extenders are - just passing a USB packet through the ethernet cable - I could see how that cable could effect the sound.  Now with a true layer 3 Audio-IP scheme, like AES67 or AVB not so much.

This one - but it still needs holes drilled into the end plates. http://www.ebay.com/itm/161414428256?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Both I believe the SU-1 in May and the DIYinHK DXIO Pro4a in June.

Pro4A will be on sales probably in mid May. so lots of gear to AB and rank the chart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back