Xin SuperMicro-IV VS RSA Tomahawk Impressions
May 7, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #106 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does this mean exactly? To me that description is contradictory. wider, more air and transparency is less intimate for me than forward intimacy.

Intimacy to me is that tube-like experience you get from tube amps, slightly warm but precise - lusher. When I say intimate, it is not that in your face Grado intimacy.
wink.gif

May 8, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #107 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Intimacy to me is that tube-like experience you get from tube amps, slightly warm but precise - lusher. When I say intimate, it is not that in your face Grado intimacy.
wink.gif

You have described the Supermicro IV to the max. IMO it just is that sweet sounding.

Sep 19, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #111 of 119
HI everyone!
Thank you all in general for the quality of this site I have been visiting these last few weeks.
It is not completely clear to me wether my ER4P can be properly driven by the SMIV. Does the inner "switch" still exist for low impedance headphones? Or will I have to buy the ER 24 converting cable?
My second question concerns my gear upgrade: ipod G4 20Go+ER4P. What would you first upgrade? Is the supermicroIV the first step up?
Mathieu from Paris

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #112 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatjab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HI everyone!
Thank you all in general for the quality of this site I have been visiting these last few weeks.
It is not completely clear to me wether my ER4P can be properly driven by the SMIV. Does the inner "switch" still exist for low impedance headphones? Or will I have to buy the ER 24 converting cable?
My second question concerns my gear upgrade: ipod G4 20Go+ER4P. What would you first upgrade? Is the supermicroIV the first step up?
Mathieu from Paris

Both ER-4P and S will benefit termendously with SuperMicro-IV - remember that Dr. Xin the maker of SuperMicro-IV is an Ety fan himself and you can bet he'd make an amp that synergize well with ER-4.

If you want to converty to S, you will still need a converter cable because SuperMicro-IV does not have impedance switch like SuperMini-IV.

Yes you can say that SuperMicro-IV is a very good upgrade to your rig. BUT getting a Xin amps nowadays is not for the faint hearted (or impatient).

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #114 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a short not to thank EFN for his generosity. He built me a P to S cable and shipped it at his cost. Thanks EFN!

He did fantastic work, enjoy the picture below.

No worries buddy. It's my way of saying thank you for your amp guidance since the very day I jumped into the amp camp LOL! Your reviews has been quite pivotal in my choice to get a SuperMicro-IV
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #116 of 119
The XIN is just a battery,a light bulb,and a capacitor???? :O
Wow,talk about an amp getting out of the way of the music!!!
I dont know why it takes so long to send his amps to customers.
Its just a capacitor being charged by a battery in the headphone line...lol.
Thats the way the pictures make it look.
Really i wonder how he solders all that tiny stuff to the board...lol.

Im sure its wonderful and all,but i can never pay the price for that. I just cant see the value. Maybe im old school,but i wanna hold something. Id take the Tomahawk...lol.

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #117 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The XIN is just a battery,a light bulb,and a capacitor???? :O
Wow,talk about an amp getting out of the way of the music!!!
I dont know why it takes so long to send his amps to customers.
Its just a capacitor being charged by a battery in the headphone line...lol.
Thats the way the pictures make it look.
Really i wonder how he solders all that tiny stuff to the board...lol.

Im sure its wonderful and all,but i can never pay the price for that. I just cant see the value. Maybe im old school,but i wanna hold something. Id take the Tomahawk...lol.

If you listen to them side by side you would know why the Supermicro IV is so sought after!

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #118 of 119
I've an ER4P, but use them seldomly b/c of the sound compared to my E530. Will I get a better sound by buying an ER4P-24 (P to S converts)?

Sep 28, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #119 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you listen to them side by side you would know why the Supermicro IV is so sought after!

I know its supposed to be a great sounding amp.....but in the picture it looks that way to me. It was sort of a joke really...lol.

tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back