Xin SuperMicro-IV VS RSA Tomahawk Impressions
Apr 27, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #91 of 119
I think there are even members on HF who are willin to pay more than the $300 I suggest because I didn't hear from the seller . . ., he did't had an asking price, only bidders .Maybe its a good idea to order 10 SuperMicro'sin once by Xin and sell them one by one for ""big bucks"" on this forum ? ? ?
smily_headphones1.gif
))

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #92 of 119
A month ago I myself have offered a Head-Fier $200 for a very used SuperMicro-IV and was declined flat out. The owner already have a few good amps in possession yet still he prefer not to part with his SuperMicro-IV. At that time of course I do not know how SMIV sounds like.

Now that I have one, I should have offered him $350 because this amp is OBSCENELY good! now I may sound like a bigot but I don't care, this SMIV is so deceptive and everything about the size defies all skeptism.

Oooh BTW Peter Polo, congratulations on your purchase, the painstaking wait begins. While waiting for your SMIV to arrive, I recommend you to get Go-Vibe V5s with 8620/8610 - all for under $60 from Norm Dalgarno.
GoVibe has proven to be the best under $100 amp and I will not hesitate to recommend.

Uh sorry bout your wallet, mine is still in coma...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #93 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A month ago I myself have offered a Head-Fier $200 for a very used SuperMicro-IV and was declined flat out. The owner already have a few good amps in possession yet still he prefer not to part with his SuperMicro-IV. At that time of course I do not know how SMIV sounds like.

Now that I have one, I should have offered him $350 because this amp is OBSCENELY good! now I may sound like a bigot but I don't care, this SMIV is so deceptive and everything about the size defies all skeptism.

Oooh BTW Peter Polo, congratulations on your purchase, the painstaking wait begins. While waiting for your SMIV to arrive, I recommend you to get Go-Vibe V5s with 8620/8610 - all for under $60 from Norm Dalgarno.
GoVibe has proven to be the best under $100 amp and I will not hesitate to recommend.

Uh sorry bout your wallet, mine is still in coma...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hey EFN, can we see your rig with the powerpack and the supermicro?

Apr 27, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #95 of 119
GreatDane,

With the DC boost on, keep in mind that the battery life reduces by half.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't tried the DC boost yet.

Apr 27, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #96 of 119
I think we need more impressions from people, who received SUPERMINI and SUPERMACRO after 11/4. I am waiting for a mini and as soon as I receive it I will post my impressions.

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #97 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we need more impressions from people, who received SUPERMINI and SUPERMACRO after 11/4. I am waiting for a mini and as soon as I receive it I will post my impressions.

well I'm still waiting for Xin to tell us to send it in. I'm jpark10 on the xin forums btw

May 6, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #98 of 119
Further update.

200 hours has passed and my SuperMicro-IV continue to make my jaw drop almost every song I pur her through.

Most apparent is the solid manifestation of dynamics around the body of sound. It's very solid, drumbeats carries echoes as if I am hearing them just beside me or in front of me. And this is not the artificial type of echoes (I have been in studios before so I know how it is supposed to sound like)

Another thing is the decays of guitars. With The Smiths and Morrissey's multiple guitar layering, I could almost see when the guitar pick left the strings - ther reverbs are simply intoxicating.

But most importantly, the soundstage has developed into a trully ambient surround experience - still biased to left and right but not so much. I can clearly place instruments where they are meant to be placed.

Simply amazing

May 6, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #99 of 119
Quote:

Further update.

200 hours has passed and my SuperMicro-IV continue to make my jaw drop almost every song I pur her through.

Simply amazing

EFN, which opamp does the SM use. Sorry if this has already been stated or if it cannot be posted. I'd just like to get an idea, which one is giving you such sonic pleasure.

May 6, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #100 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EFN, which opamp does the SM use. Sorry if this has already been stated or if it cannot be posted. I'd just like to get an idea, which one is giving you such sonic pleasure.

Sorry, I did took a photo of the back of the board which shows tiny opamps but I have them deleted because the pic was so revealing. I will pry open my SMIV again later today and see if I can find out what opamp(s) being used. But I will not publish any photo, that's for Dr. Xin himself to decide if he wants to publicly reveal his design.

May 6, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #101 of 119
Is that to say the Tomahawk doesn't go too well with the ER4? I'm having my eyes on the TH because of its traveling "capabilities" where features like "built like a tank" and "awsome battery life" are vital things
smily_headphones1.gif

On the whole I might more interested in the micro but I'm afraid I'll break it or that I'll have to switch batteries all the time (which wouldn't be too convenient while sitting on the Trans-Siberian express for example). Currently the battery life of TH seems to make it THE travel companion to have if going to more desolate places. Ok, ok besides, you know, your other stuff. :p

My biggest problem right now is that AFAIK there aren't any flash based DAPs with line-out. Maybe I'll strap the TH to a D2 and bring a Solio (for the D2 and as a general power source) to have by the train window or whereever I might end up. Though, I'm not so sure I'd want to amplify the headphone out of the D2. Having no power issues when at home I'm using my nano with a line out IC but I feel that won't do it for traveling. Also I'm kind of worried that the dock connection is a bit fragile and not really fit to sit in a bag/rucksack that might be thrown around all day.

That...was a bit OT, I guess, but I'm still wondering if the TH would be considered a "bad" choice for the ER4?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #102 of 119
errr...dont have the ER4 but my iM716 (ER4 look/sound alike?) sounds sweet driven with the tomahawk. im sure the ER4 will sound just as sweet ifnot sweeter. sounds like a sweet setup to keep u company on those long trans-siberian trips. LOL!

May 7, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #103 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by blipmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that to say the Tomahawk doesn't go too well with the ER4? I'm having my eyes on the TH because of its traveling "capabilities" where features like "built like a tank" and "awsome battery life" are vital things
smily_headphones1.gif

On the whole I might more interested in the micro but I'm afraid I'll break it or that I'll have to switch batteries all the time (which wouldn't be too convenient while sitting on the Trans-Siberian express for example). Currently the battery life of TH seems to make it THE travel companion to have if going to more desolate places. Ok, ok besides, you know, your other stuff. :p

My biggest problem right now is that AFAIK there aren't any flash based DAPs with line-out. Maybe I'll strap the TH to a D2 and bring a Solio (for the D2 and as a general power source) to have by the train window or whereever I might end up. Though, I'm not so sure I'd want to amplify the headphone out of the D2. Having no power issues when at home I'm using my nano with a line out IC but I feel that won't do it for traveling. Also I'm kind of worried that the dock connection is a bit fragile and not really fit to sit in a bag/rucksack that might be thrown around all day.

That...was a bit OT, I guess, but I'm still wondering if the TH would be considered a "bad" choice for the ER4?
smily_headphones1.gif

All things considered, both amps are superb with ER-4S. With TH I get details and soothing conditioning of the highs and lows, with SMIV I get the same, except that it is presented with much more intimacy - this intimacy factor swayed me to SMIV, coupled with somewhat "wider" feel to the soundstage - in contrast TH is excellent with spatial imaging and SMIV with airy space - so take your pick.

SMIV runs 20 hours on Alkaline AAA and I can swap the battery in a blink of an eye because the enclosure is so easy to open and close.With 800 mAh Eneloop AAA, I get 12 to 13 hours and I have spares ready at hand. The casing of SMIV does seem fragile but I know it will take a lot more to break it. I jjust have to be extra careful with the thin battery contact and so far it has been all fine. TH, no doubt will take atomic bombing to shake her up

May 7, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #104 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottiebabie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
errr...dont have the ER4 but my iM716 (ER4 look/sound alike?) sounds sweet driven with the tomahawk. im sure the ER4 will sound just as sweet ifnot sweeter. sounds like a sweet setup to keep u company on those long trans-siberian trips. LOL!

Good to hear, thanks! (The trans-siberian thing was just because I was thinking of making the trip *to* where I'm planning to go into a trip in itself but we'll se about that
biggrin.gif
)

Quote:

... in contrast TH is excellent with spatial imaging and SMIV with airy space - so take your pick.

SMIV runs 20 hours on Alkaline AAA and I can swap the battery in a blink of an eye because the enclosure is so easy to open and close.With 800 mAh Eneloop AAA, I get 12 to 13 hours ...

Hmm, this just gets harder and harder... Right now those billions (ahem...) of hours from the TH together with its build quality is swaying me towards that camp. Also, that always-on feature called "waiting mode" which applies to Dr Xin's amps is worrying me a bit, especially since I'm not sure where I'll be in three months (see how I'm trying to convince myself here?). Down the road I might get both but right now I can only pick one.

Anyway, thanks for the insight! I'll bookmark this thread for future reference.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #105 of 119
Quote:

this intimacy factor swayed me to SMIV, coupled with somewhat "wider" feel to the soundstage

What does this mean exactly? To me that description is contradictory. wider, more air and transparency is less intimate for me than forward intimacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back