Xin SuperMicro Alternative?
Jul 8, 2008 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Spadge

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

Since the Xin SuperMicro seems so hard to come by... are there any other comparable amps?

Sound quality and size are my two main requirements.

I'll be using the amp to power my Atrio M8's from a portable source (still deciding on what to get.. iPod, Fuze, D2 are the likely contenders atm)

Thanks for any help

Paul

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 11
I don't think there are any amps that come even close to the size of the SuperMicro (the FiiO amp does, but for $12, I don't think the sound quality outputted is anywhere near Xin's amps). You can get the Tomahawk or GoVibe Petite - both are very small (imagine iPod Nano and smaller, but thicker of course)

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 11
Believe me when i say the FiiO falls a long way short of a supermicro, to me it falls a long way short of a decently assembled cmoy amp. Then again, for the price it does a fine job.
I can't vouch for the GoVibe Petite, though i have read it is very good. The Tomahawk is a lovely little amp with incredible battery life. If you're after good sound, great build and looks with long battery life the Tomahawk would have to be up at the top of the list i would of thought.

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 11
I suppose today the nearest thing in size will have to be one of the MiniBox amps but for me the problem is that the plugs are on the wrong side (long side) of the amp. I'm desperately holding on to my two SuperMini's even though one of them ought to go back for repair as it only works with DC boost enabled but I don't dare out of fear I'd never see it again.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spadge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there,

Since the Xin SuperMicro seems so hard to come by... are there any other comparable amps?

Sound quality and size are my two main requirements.

I'll be using the amp to power my Atrio M8's from a portable source (still deciding on what to get.. iPod, Fuze, D2 are the likely contenders atm)

Thanks for any help

Paul

Xin's back in action so if you don't mind waiting you can place an order.

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozncore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xin's back in action so if you don't mind waiting you can place an order.

I noticed that today
smily_headphones1.gif

Shhh... don't tell anyone or he will be swamped with orders and get behind again
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 11
I've tried the Supermicro IV against the Matchbox and I think the SM4 still has an edge in most areas.

On the other hand, for the slightly larger size the Matchbox has an actual volume knob and a recharging circuit for the battery; plus its cheaper too.

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 11
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the iBasso T2. It's one of the smallest I've seen. I hear they're working on the T3, but don't quote me on that.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 11
t2 is flatter than the matchbox but sure ain't smaller than matchbox. soundwise, t2 is better though.

i never heard of the supermicro but the matchbox isn't very good so....hey the matchbox is small

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 11
Yes there will be a restyled T3 that will also have improvements in all areas, from what I read. I think the T3, because of other maturing areas in iBasso, should sound pretty good but we will have to wait and see.

The Xin Micro is in a league of its own but to get one is the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back