Xin Channel IV amp appreciation thread
Oct 23, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #46 of 67
Even though Xin initially posted that 24 Sep being the final tweak, there are still further changes, last being 10 Oct. I'll be into the 1st month of wait (I ordered mine on 27 Sep.) Not to mention wait on delivery. So 2mths may not be an over estimate here.

Just as well, I still have the SM3 to keep me company.

Oct 23, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #48 of 67
Quote:

I made some changes after 10/10, so almost all OPs work well in 3rd/4th and no need for special AD8397.

It seems after 10th upgrade SMIV doesn't need special AD8397 anymore.

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #49 of 67
And after some burn in its speed\attack of the ends of the spectrum is improved and very fast!! There is more extension too. Soundstage is out of this place.
I think I should order HA5002 for 3rd and 4th, AD8620 for L\R making the amp,

LR.AD8620 + Hbuf \ 34.OP275 + HA5002

GOTO, RON can HA5002 be stacked? Is there is real benefit in stacking the Hbuf x 2 in LR? (Apart from loosing battery life)

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #50 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama
And after some burn in its speed\attack of the ends of the spectrum is improved and very fast!! There is more extension too. Soundstage is out of this place.
I think I should order HA5002 for 3rd and 4th, AD8620 for L\R making the amp,

LR.AD8620 + Hbuf \ 34.OP275 + HA5002

GOTO, RON can HA5002 be stacked? Is there is real benefit in stacking the Hbuf x 2 in LR? (Apart from loosing battery life)

Yes they can be stacked and I like two 5002's in a channel. I used my SM3 Lite this way and the sound was very good. I liked it a little better than the 634 buffer stacked in another amp with the same opamp.

Oct 27, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #51 of 67
For all of you that have heard both. I have read about the great sound of the micro but am thinking of ordering a mini for the added features My question is what would be the best setup for the mini to get the sound of the micro and would the macro sound better that the micro and mini or is it just extra features. I know nothing about amp rolling (is it something like cow tipping)
k1000smile.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #52 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ERNEST T
For all of you that have heard both. I have read about the great sound of the micro but am thinking of ordering a mini for the added features My question is what would be the best setup for the mini to get the sound of the micro and would the macro sound better that the micro and mini or is it just extra features. I know nothing about amp rolling (is it something like cow tipping)
k1000smile.gif

I think you should get the Solid tube if you want a tube-like micro sound
They all sound very similar in default config, it's just the enclosure, features and opamp rolling

Oct 27, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #53 of 67
Just ordered a mini. Got it shipped priority mail so I should have it next week
evil_smiley.gif
Do batterys come with it or do I need to get some,if so what is the best also what wall wart should I get for it. Sorry fro the questions but the website is hard to figure out, Thanks

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #57 of 67
I have listened to my Koss KSC 35 with SMIV for the first time. Great sound! I am very pleasantly surprised of the 3D image and soundstage KSC can deliver. Marvelous 3D sound and great synergy.

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #58 of 67
And GOTO seems have found a way to further improving the SMIV by removing one diode in the power supply section hence reducing the noise and PS impedance! If Dr.XIN can implement physical method of preventing reverse polarity when inserting batteries, this may be the next big upgrade for SUPERMACRO!

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #59 of 67
And Dr.XIN seems to have disappeared again behind the walls of his mystique lab! This might well be the next major upgrade and the answer to micro having better SQ than top of line MACRO! Micro has a very basic PS without any passive components giving noise it seems!!!
Stay tuned! Again sending the amp!!!!!
blink.gif
I hate to part with it even for a day!!!!

Oct 30, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #60 of 67
Improvement in SQ after bypassing the diode and FET is definite. I wonder whether Dr.XIn will include as an upgrade though, as it will invariably lead to more returns of fried amps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back