Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #796 of 992
Yes,fake Xiaomi Pistons are very popular,be careful!:wink:

I was wondering if the fake ones have these small lines on the aluminum parts? Look close in photo to see the lines.

Apr 15, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #798 of 992
  post a picture of the box + carrying case if you can, the original has the exact same type of volume control.

Actually I'm 100% sure my pairs are real. The writting on the box was just slightly different than some, but very close.I have tosed my outside white boxes.

Also mine did not have those small tags which are near the plug. I posted this photo as someone else, was interested in the small lines on the aluminum parts.

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #799 of 992

Just received my pair,checked them out and they're original. So far impressed by the sound!
They're v-shaped,but deliver a good amount of mids.
Compared to my Hifiman re600-s, they sound less flat,with greater low punch and fuller midbass, less mids,but it's ok because I find the a little too mid-centric.
Highs are wonderful,detailed and not sibilant.

But I bought this iems to replace re300h. I never liked their sound,too muddy,lacking of detail, with booming bass that covers other frequencies

Much much better these Xiaomi, and just 20 euros!!incredible value for money.

Now I'm burning them in, but I'm already very happy out of the box.

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #800 of 992

hi,
i have noticed this too!
there seems to be harshness and some unnatural character that these earphones emit at that frequency!
i am not able to understand why..
can you please tell me if the EQ helped you?

otherwise what do you fell about the quality of the sound that they produce in general?
(i have read your review)

I can't make them sound 'natural' with the EQ. I think it's because the problem isn't a general treble lift but rather these are very narrow peaks so it's hard to isolate them, and narrow dips on the EQ don't sound that good.
I think they are just too harsh for my taste, I better look for something more smooth and laid back and pass these to my brother. I told him what I heard in them, he says he can hear it too but doesn't seem to bother him as much. I was just listening to some rap songs at my usual listening volume and some of the claps and scratches make me wince... sounds like if you put the Q factor on a EQ really high and then made a 6 dB boost between the 4-5 kHz area :frowning2:

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #801 of 992
I can't make them sound 'natural' with the EQ. I think it's because the problem isn't a general treble lift but rather these are very narrow peaks so it's hard to isolate them, and narrow dips on the EQ don't sound that good.

I think they are just too harsh for my taste, I better look for something more smooth and laid back and pass these to my brother. I told him what I heard in them, he says he can hear it too but doesn't seem to bother him as much. I was just listening to some rap songs at my usual listening volume and some of the claps and scratches make me wince... sounds like if you put the Q factor on a EQ really high and then made a 6 dB boost between the 4-5 kHz area :frowning2:

Hi,
I had two pistons 3 with me.. Identical and original ones.
One was from gearbest and other was from the official MI store of India.

I am happy to tell you that both are same sounding..
And I have also found a solution to the harshness on these.

I simple changed the stock tips and that was that.
It was done..
My life is peaceful now and my pistons are also peaceful. There is a noticeable change in them..and they don't hurt or irritate me anymore..

I can t really name the tips that I used..cause I used to have ton of earphones when I was a kid.. And I have collected a lot of tips..
These current tips simply workout for me.
I am really sorry I can't be specific.
But yes it has made a considerable difference.

Also if you are looking for a warm , smooth , full bodies and a nice bassy sound.
I would highly recommend the KZ ATE.
they are simply lovely...
Very likable and non fatiguing.
I love them more than the piston 3 at least.

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #803 of 992
I put on double flange tips, they work great for my ear shape

I have read where members have the 3s falling out of their ears? How can that even be unless you have an issue with not using the right tips. Getting the find of tips that work, is key. IMO

If these IEMs are falling out of someone's ears, there is no way they have a good tight placement for bass?

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #806 of 992
My opinion on these has changed. Immensely. 

ZTE ZMAX 2, Dolby crap disabled, usually around 50% volume for listening.

Spotify, everything synced on Extreme quality.
[COLOR=212121]
Noozxoide EIZO-rewire PRO, natural sound box ticked on the Audiophile preset. 

Using Ultimate Ears tips from the UE 500s.

I haven't been that big on these lately. I strongly preferred my UE 350, MEE Audio RX18, JLab Epic, Klipsch S4, Sony MDR XB50AP, and now my recently acquired UE 500. Yeah, I dig the consumer friendly sound, but I do appreciate clarity. These Piston 3s made a lot of the music I listen to unpleasant. I like a lot of my stuff heavy and the electric guitar was mincing up my eardrums, effectively killing treble at the same time. Wasn't an issue with mellow music, though. Bass was always a strong point, more than enough for the EDM I listen to and fattening the low end for rock/metal/etc. 

Some stuff I've been listening to tonight:

Dissection Storm of the Light's Bane and The Somberlain

Death Symbolic

Entombed Left Hand Path, Clandestine, and Wolverine Blues

Cruel Hand Lock and Key

Guns Up! Outlive

Blind Melon Blind Melon

Deftones Around the Fur

Merauder Ma[/COLOR][COLOR=212121]ster Killer[/COLOR]
[COLOR=212121]
Opeth My Arms Your Hearse and Still Life

Real Estate Atlas

Bush Sixteen Stone

Royal Blood Royal Blood

Dr. Dre 2001

NERO Welcome Reality

RATM Rage Against The Machine and Evil Empire

In Flames The Jester Race and Whoracle

Minus The Bear OMNI

...and some other songs like Fleetwood Mac "Dreams", Dubba Jonny "Made of Clay", Chris.SU feat. Mira "Higher", and Sublime "Santeria" since I dig how they sound on decent equipment. 

Holy cow. That little app has transformed my entire opinion of these. I can actually listen to my heavier stuff and I think they're still resolving enough for my taste. I don't need to hear every nuance of a track, I just want it to sound good and if I wanna crank it up, I wanna be able to do that. One of my main complaints previously was the lack of treble. It was veiled so deep behind the super upfront midrange in my listening that I could barely hear cymbals and such. With that Audiophile preset, it really does seem to balance out the sound and the treble comes out of hiding. It's sparkly and not harsh at all, just how I like it. Meanwhile, electric guitars may sound too scooped out for some, but they're right where I like them. Bass is still more than adequate for my taste. Vocals become a tiny bit recessed, making for an overall laid back sound.

I actually got out of bed at this late hour just to make this post. I can't believe how much better they sound and it's making me lose sleep while I listen to them. They've been in a drawer for a while, but that's gonna change. UE 500s might take their place in that drawer since their cable is garbage, just like people said. Oh well. =/[/COLOR]

Makes me wonder what Viper4Android would do, but I guess there's no root for my phone yet. 

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #807 of 992

[COLOR=212121]

I haven't been that big on these lately. I strongly preferred my UE 350, MEE Audio RX18, JLab Epic, Klipsch S4, Sony MDR XB50AP, and now my recently acquired UE 500. Yeah, I dig the consumer friendly sound, but I do appreciate clarity. These Piston 3s made a lot of the music I listen to unpleasant. I like a lot of my stuff heavy and the electric guitar was mincing up my eardrums, effectively killing treble at the same time. Wasn't an issue with mellow music, though. Bass was always a strong point, more than enough for the EDM I listen to and fattening the low end for rock/metal/etc. 

Death Symbolic

Cruel Hand Lock and Key

Guns Up! Outlive

Blind Melon Blind Melon

Deftones Around the Fur

Merauder Ma[/COLOR][COLOR=212121]ster Killer[/COLOR]
[COLOR=212121]

Real Estate Atlas

Bush Sixteen Stone

Royal Blood Royal Blood

Dr. Dre 2001

NERO Welcome Reality

Minus The Bear OMNI

...and some other songs like Fleetwood Mac "Dreams", Dubba Jonny "Made of Clay", Chris.SU feat. Mira "Higher", and Sublime "Santeria" since I dig how they sound on decent equipment. 

Holy cow. That little app has transformed my entire opinion of these. I can actually listen to my heavier stuff and I think they're still resolving enough for my taste. I don't need to hear every nuance of a track, I just want it to sound good and if I wanna crank it up, I wanna be able to do that. One of my main complaints previously was the lack of treble. It was veiled so deep behind the super upfront midrange in my listening that I could barely hear cymbals and such. With that Audiophile preset, it really does seem to balance out the sound and the treble comes out of hiding. It's sparkly and not harsh at all, just how I like it. Meanwhile, electric guitars may sound too scooped out for some, but they're right where I like them. Bass is still more than adequate for my taste. Vocals become a tiny bit recessed, making for an overall laid back sound.

I actually got out of bed at this late hour just to make this post. I can't believe how much better they sound and it's making me lose sleep while I listen to them. They've been in a drawer for a while, but that's gonna change. UE 500s might take their place in that drawer since their cable is garbage, just like people said. Oh well. =/[/COLOR]

Makes me wonder what Viper4Android would do, but I guess there's no root for my phone yet. 

I will have to try it. THX
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noozxoidelabs.eizo.rewirepro&hl=en

Apr 19, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #808 of 992

Death Symbolic

Cruel Hand Lock and Key

Guns Up! Outlive

Blind Melon Blind Melon

Deftones Around the Fur

Merauder Master Killer

Real Estate Atlas

Bush Sixteen Stone

Royal Blood Royal Blood

Dr. Dre 2001

NERO Welcome Reality

Minus The Bear OMNI

I actually got out of bed at this late hour just to make this post. I can't believe how much better they sound and it's making me lose sleep while I listen to them. They've been in a drawer for a while, but that's gonna change. UE 500s might take their place in that drawer since their cable is garbage, just like people said. Oh well. =/

Noozxoide EIZO-rewire PRO is great,THX.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #809 of 992
i just received my Piston 3 yesterday, and boy, what a earphone!!, i have here the Superlux HD581 which i EQ it to get the silibance down and the bass a bit lower, it sounded magnific, but this earphone is INCREBILY, it doesn't need any EQ in the Computer, i've a Zenfone 5, and comparing with the original earphones of it(which iss PRETTY good) it simply DESTROYs them, in quality, separation of instruments, and so on, and when i installed the Noozxoide EIZO, GOD, how this earphone it's just 25$??

EDIT: I hear basically anything in the Progressive Music Spectrum: Jazz Fusion, Cantebury, Zeuhl, Avant-Prog, Krautrock, Symphonic, Ecletic. and this earphone Rules in all of these.

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #810 of 992
After 120+ hrs burn in,I can say they definitely improved in soundstage and mids. Bass seems a little less pronounced than OOTB , but still tight.
Highs are a little improved in clarity.

Anyway impressed by the great value for money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back