Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #766 of 992
Yes i know but there are couple of things which almost every one likes like wide sounstage,better detail and tight bass.Almost nobody like narrow soundstage,less detail and muddy bass.E10 is better in all these categories.

Don't know if you've got a defective pair, but I'd say the opposite. Had the E18s for a while and whilst i like them, I'm blown away by the piston 3s for their price (which is the same as i paid for the e18).

I own a few decent midrange phones which are a lot more expensive than the pistons and i feel they hold up to them really well.

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #770 of 992
great job!

In fact, xiaomi is not good at eraphones.

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #771 of 992

The great thing about the Piston 3 is the value. Obviously, you can pay more for better audio quality - or less for okay sound. But the Piston 3 has the whole package: excellent packaging, good sound, excellent value. And the earphones are a fine value, as long as you steer away from the fakes on eBay. 

Personally, I don't think there's much chance of a genuine pair for anything less than $16. If they're around $5, I can guarantee they're fakes. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #772 of 992
My Pistons just came in today. I agree with what a lot of others have said: there is a lot of value here. I also had a pair of the new Grado iGe's, and the sound is very comparable. The iGe's sound better, but they are also 4X the price of the pistons. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #773 of 992

The great thing about the Piston 3 is the value. Obviously, you can pay more for better audio quality - or less for okay sound. But the Piston 3 has the whole package: excellent packaging, good sound, excellent value. And the earphones are a fine value, as long as you steer away from the fakes on eBay. 

Personally, I don't think there's much chance of a genuine pair for anything less than $16. If they're around $5, I can guarantee they're fakes. 

Agree.

The price of Xiaomi Pistons is RMB99=$15.1569 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #774 of 992
I can't praise enough the Xiaomi piston 2, I have compared them with ALOT of in ear, like V-sonic V6, Shure Se 420, my custom westone, sennheiser Cx300, Audio technica ATH CS55, Etymotic HF3, Brainwavz R3, S1 and S0 and on and on.
I use them with shure memory foam and they are the number ONE in ear I use.
I paid less than 15$ for them and can't find any in-ear at less than 100$ that give me this type of well balanced V sound.
One advice: Be paranoid on Aliexpress because second pair I bought was false. Just by the look of the box I know it, even more so when I see the cheap scring and metal housing. Get refund tough.

Lately I fall on a MOD that make the sound even more spacious and detailed, it is quite easy but perhaps irreversible.

The MOD is simple and particularly appropriate for Shure memory foam that have a filter in them.

Inside the Xiaomi their a foam filter that is use to filter some type of frequencies, the MOD consist to put out the metal grill and the foam so their nothing to congest the sound. Once you do this, you'll hear a big difference in sound quality, high frequencies and bass extension are extended and mids are more foward wich make them more balanced. I was thinking the sound will be less punchy, but to my ears it is not.

Anyway, if you got 2 pairs or are curious like me, I really suggest you to try this mod.

If you take great care when you take out the grill, perhaps you can put it back after (I still have all the components in case I want to unmod them).

Cheers!

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #775 of 992
  I can't praise enough the Xiaomi piston 2, I have compared them with ALOT of in ear, like V-sonic V6, Shure Se 420, my custom westone, sennheiser Cx300, Audio technica ATH CS55, Etymotic HF3, Brainwavz R3, S1 and S0 and on and on.
I use them with shure memory foam and they are the number ONE in ear I use.
I paid less than 15$ for them and can't find any in-ear at less than 100$ that give me this type of well balanced V sound.
One advice: Be paranoid on Aliexpress because second pair I bought was false. Just by the look of the box I know it, even more so when I see the cheap scring and metal housing. Get refund tough.

Lately I fall on a MOD that make the sound even more spacious and detailed, it is quite easy but perhaps irreversible.

The MOD is simple and particularly appropriate for Shure memory foam that have a filter in them.

Inside the Xiaomi their a foam filter that is use to filter some type of frequencies, the MOD consist to put out the metal grill and the foam so their nothing to congest the sound. Once you do this, you'll hear a big difference in sound quality, high frequencies and bass extension are extended and mids are more foward wich make them more balanced. I was thinking the sound will be less punchy, but to my ears it is not.

Anyway, if you got 2 pairs or are curious like me, I really suggest you to try this mod.

If you take great care when you take out the grill, perhaps you can put it back after (I still have all the components in case I want to unmod them).

Cheers!

So I am not the only one preferring the 2s to the 3s....

I also did the mod and removed the metal grill...the foam I cut in half so only very little remains.

The Pistons 3 I simply do not like...

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #776 of 992
Where is a good place to order the youth edition with 3-button controls?

I've ordered 2x off Amazon and they kept sending me stupid 1-button controls.  Even when their pictures show otherwise.

Not super concerned with price or delivery time.

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #777 of 992
Where is a good place to order the youth edition with 3-button controls?

I've ordered 2x off Amazon and they kept sending me stupid 1-button controls.  Even when their pictures show otherwise.

Not super concerned with price or delivery time.

How about gearbest?......

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #778 of 992
How about gearbest?......

From the gearbest webpage:

"Original Xiaomi Youth Edition Piston Earphone 3 Reddot Design for iPhone Smartphone MP3 MP4 Laptops  -  BLACK"

Can anyone confirm if the volume buttons work on Android?   (I want them to behave like my other pistons- but i am learning to distrust retailers)

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #779 of 992

"Original Xiaomi Youth Edition Piston Earphone 3 Reddot Design for iPhone Smartphone MP3 MP4 Laptops  -  BLACK"

Can anyone confirm if the volume buttons work on Android?   (I want them to behave like my other pistons- but i am learning to distrust retailers)

I've got both (from Gearbest) youth and usual piston 3 edition, both work on android, however I don't believe the volume buttons work on iOS, that's to be tested by someone that actually owns an iOS device :>

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #780 of 992

The Pistons (at least 2 and 3 which I have) are designed for Android. They work with iDevices, just not fully. I suspect the Youth edition will be the same since Xiaomi makes Android devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back