Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #466 of 992
I purchased my Piston 3's from Tinydeal for 14.17€ with tracking ("PostNL" = Swiss Post), it's the simplified package and often on discount.
Right now the price is 26.85€ or 29.53$, not that cheap! I'd say keep an eye on it, sooner or later it will drop on discount again.
The Tinydeal product page link is in the first post of this thread.

As for shipping time, I am from Finland and I got the shipped email on 29th of July evening my time. And the package has arrived to Finland today 10th of August. I expect to have it in my hands ~ wednesday probably.
Swiss Post tracking page only had "mailed" and "arrival/departure from border point of origin country" dated monday 3rd of August.
So not including shipping date, 8 working days to arrive to my country. Pretty decent if you ask me. 10-15 working days said on Tinydeal being rather accurate.

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #469 of 992
Got my Piston 3's from Tinydeals with the simplified package.

I was disappointed. They sounded a bit muddy, and definitely not as good as the Monoprice hi-fi reflective earphones w/ mic (a rebrand of NuForce NE-600X based on what I read).  The cheap $10 Monoprice hi-fi reflective earphones sounded more bassy, and the voice sounded more clear.

I made back to back calls with the P3 and the Monoprice hi-fi, and people said I sounded much clearer on the Monoprice hi-fi.

The mircophonics on the P3 is also disappointing. A lot of cable noise, more than I expected.

All in all, an ok buy at $16 or so that I paid. I would not pay any more than that, and would probably spend the $10 on the Monoprice hi-fi instead.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #470 of 992
  Got my Piston 3's from Tinydeals with the simplified package.

I was disappointed. They sounded a bit muddy, and definitely not as good as the Monoprice hi-fi reflective earphones w/ mic (a rebrand of NuForce NE-600X based on what I read).  The cheap $10 Monoprice hi-fi reflective earphones sounded more bassy, and the voice sounded more clear.

I made back to back calls with the P3 and the Monoprice hi-fi, and people said I sounded much clearer on the Monoprice hi-fi.

The mircophonics on the P3 is also disappointing. A lot of cable noise, more than I expected.

All in all, an ok buy at $16 or so that I paid. I would not pay any more than that, and would probably spend the $10 on the Monoprice hi-fi instead.

It's odd how everyone with the simplified package is disliking the sound. It's as if Xiaomi dropped the ball manufacturing this batch, or it's a fake (doubtful though).

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #471 of 992
Who's everyone? Where can I find all of these peoples posts who've disliked the sound of the "simplified package" P3's? In this thread alone there's less than a dozen posts combined with either simple or simplified (/simplified package) search terms. Only portaear's post.
Whole forum search wasn't much fruitful either. Are you sure you're not mistaking for the youth edition? Which has been mentioned heck of a lot of times and from those I've gotten the impression that they're not as good. At least build wise, all plastic but apparently same driver.

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #472 of 992
  Who's everyone? Where can I find all of these peoples posts who've disliked the sound of the "simplified package" P3's? In this thread alone there's less than a dozen posts combined with either simple or simplified (/simplified package) search terms. Only portaear's post.
Whole forum search wasn't much fruitful either. Are you sure you're not mistaking for the youth edition? Which has been mentioned heck of a lot of times and from those I've gotten the impression that they're not as good. At least build wise, all plastic but apparently same driver.

I got Piston 3 YE which came in simple package from geekbuying. I checked up their QR code and it is genuine. These sounds pretty good for mere US$8 i had paid for them (has totally different sound sig to its predecessor, though).

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #473 of 992

On the original Slickdeals thread there are a lot of people who are unhappy with the way these sound compared to the hype they read /heard.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7972229-xiaomi-piston-3-in-ear-headphones-w-inline-controls-mic-16-free-shipping?page=14

The ones I received are metal, the build looks good. It's the sound that disappoints.  I'm no audiophile and even to my non-expert ears these things do not sound crisp, clear, or concise.  Very disappointing. 

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #474 of 992
To be honest, not sure what the fuss is about. I got my pair from geekbuying and I think they're pretty average. Nothing phenomenal. Sure, they're good for the money, but not stellar or mind blowing. TTpod or Havis are exemplary for the price, but not so sure about the Pistons. I got a pair of Klipsch S3i at a deal for 12 dollars and they're better than the Pistons in my opinion. 

Another budget worth looking at in my opinion are the Brainwavz Delta. Got a pair for free and I like them quite a lot. 

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #475 of 992
  my thoughts and what not.

also the peeps that i was dealing with for them, seems to be the cheapest place around for them.  tbh so cheap if it had been my own money id have been suspicious they might be fakes but no, they just stupid, stupid cheap.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/775172/xiaomi-piston-3-review-by-mark2410

My Piston 3 from GearBest arrived yesterday (Yep, they were legit P3s). I'm just lovin' it!. It took just over 2 weeks to get here on flat-rate shipping which is still pretty quick.

I still can't believe what a bargain this was. As you said "they just stupid cheap" :D

Thanks a lot Mark

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #476 of 992
On the original Slickdeals thread there are a lot of people who are unhappy with the way these sound compared to the hype they read /heard.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7972229-xiaomi-piston-3-in-ear-headphones-w-inline-controls-mic-16-free-shipping?page=14

The ones I received are metal, the build looks good. It's the sound that disappoints.  I'm no audiophile and even to my non-expert ears these things do not sound crisp, clear, or concise.  Very disappointing. 

Yup, that was the thread I was referring to wherein buyers oddly seem to be disappointed by the simplified packaging Pistons whereas the majority had been impressed by the regular packaging.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #477 of 992
Quote:

Thanks for the link.

Yup, that was the thread I was referring to wherein buyers oddly seem to be disappointed by the simplified packaging Pistons whereas the majority had been impressed by the regular packaging.

Maybe it's just between their ears. Fancy package = awesome, simple package = not good.

To be honest, not sure what the fuss is about. I got my pair from geekbuying and I think they're pretty average. Nothing phenomenal. Sure, they're good for the money, but not stellar or mind blowing. TTpod or Havis are exemplary for the price, but not so sure about the Pistons. I got a pair of Klipsch S3i at a deal for 12 dollars and they're better than the Pistons in my opinion. 

Another budget worth looking at in my opinion are the Brainwavz Delta. Got a pair for free and I like them quite a lot. 

Picked up my "simplified package" ones from TD today. So that's 10 working days to Finland not including ordering date.

First impressions..
I like them. The tips are nice and soft. They stay in my ears well and the overall fit is good. The cable material could be something else/better as there's some cablephonics or microphonics or whatever you call it. Not that bad after all.
The bass isn't over the top. Quite civil I might say, well behaved. Clear female vocals, nice presence. They seemed a tad bright though but that could be just my source*, I haven't plugged them in to my computer yet and have a really good listen yet with my go-to test tracks.
And I like brightness when I'm listening to music, I want it clear and not even a hint of muddiness or anything. I found myself turning the volume down as with certain tracks higher notes seemed like hurting or something like that. Sibilant the term I'm searching for here?

Overall 14€ well spent and I can recommend these based on this short listening session. Of course if you're looking for rumbling heavy bass, look elsewhere, although that should be quite obvious already from all the reviews of these that are out there.
Not sure I could go and dance around outside yelling eureka best earphones under whatever sum of money I could think of. A bit overhyped these are I guess. For the money? Really great.

And in my head I'm referencing these to how my Superlux HD-330's (w/ pleather AKG pads) sound, which I like.

*From a Galaxy S4 loaner, my One M7 is in repair right now.

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #478 of 992
  My Piston 3 from GearBest arrived yesterday (Yep, they were legit P3s). I'm just lovin' it!. It took just over 2 weeks to get here on flat-rate shipping which is still pretty quick.

I still can't believe what a bargain this was. As you said "they just stupid cheap" :D

Thanks a lot Mark

why thank you good sir, you are indeed most welcome.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #479 of 992

Thanks for the link.

Maybe it's just between their ears. Fancy package = awesome, simple package = not good.

Picked up my "simplified package" ones from TD today. So that's 10 working days to Finland not including ordering date.

First impressions..
I like them. The tips are nice and soft. They stay in my ears well and the overall fit is good. The cable material could be something else/better as there's some cablephonics or microphonics or whatever you call it. Not that bad after all.
The bass isn't over the top. Quite civil I might say, well behaved. Clear female vocals, nice presence. They seemed a tad bright though but that could be just my source*, I haven't plugged them in to my computer yet and have a really good listen yet with my go-to test tracks.
And I like brightness when I'm listening to music, I want it clear and not even a hint of muddiness or anything. I found myself turning the volume down as with certain tracks higher notes seemed like hurting or something like that. Sibilant the term I'm searching for here?

Overall 14€ well spent and I can recommend these based on this short listening session. Of course if you're looking for rumbling heavy bass, look elsewhere, although that should be quite obvious already from all the reviews of these that are out there.
Not sure I could go and dance around outside yelling eureka best earphones under whatever sum of money I could think of. A bit overhyped these are I guess. For the money? Really great.

And in my head I'm referencing these to how my Superlux HD-330's (w/ pleather AKG pads) sound, which I like.

*From a Galaxy S4 loaner, my One M7 is in repair right now.

I seriously wonder if my P3 are counterfeits, although the discussion in the SD thread do not seem to indicate such.  I listened to them again a few times since my post, and they really do not sound as good as my other cheapie $10 IEMs.  I am very disappointed in mine so far.  I'll try burning them in to see if things change, but they definitely are a huge disappointment.

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #480 of 992
Did you try the QR codes? 

I think the sound signature may be not of your taste. I'm used to more fun-sounding and "detailed" IEMs and found these to be a bit dull and congested in the highs, but I can see why some people think of them as being balanced or smooth and not sibilant, though the bass is a bit bloated. I didn't find the P3 sibilant until I removed the filters to which they became too bright, and this didn't make the highs any clearer, just the uppermost midrange where sibilance occurs.

I agree that the cable noise is pretty bad as well, it's mainly the in-line remote touching my shirt that increases microphonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back