Xiaomi Piston 3 (2015)
Jun 7, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #123 of 169
The main disappointment I have with them is their soundstage and the treble texture. Of course these boil down to personal preference but I found the treble and upper mids a bit too metallic, even though it is a relatively broad peak and overall the mids and highs are very balanced. The highs actually extend pretty well, but it lacks a sense of crispness or sharpness. The soundstage is a bit congested as well - they are not aggressive but sometimes it seems like everything is at the same level and too much is going on. It's still fairly wide (slightly above average) but I don't think it's worth the trade-off in isolation. They are also quite unforgiving of low bitrates, even though I normally I find the difference between 128kbps and 320kbps tracks to be subtle (I'm stuck with 128s for some leaked/unreleased songs).

These impressions are based on both Audio-Technica and Phillips SHE3590 eartips, both of which I found more comfortable than the stock tips and give a slightly larger soundstage. The Phillips tips are a bit harder than the AT tips but in this case I didn't find much of difference, maybe slightly thicker treble on the Phillips tips...

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #124 of 169
anyone know amazon seller who carry legit ones. i cant order anything outside of amazon

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #126 of 169
IS the remote compatible with the lg and alcatel phones?

I'm using my new piston 3 set with an LG G pro 2 and the inline remote works as it should.

This is actually my first post here, though my intention was to use the piston 3 a bit longer with original tips and others in my collection before posting my impression.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #127 of 169
I took a chance and ordered on eBay directly from China.  I got the real thing and I've very pleased, it's great to be able to get something so well built with passable sound for so cheap.  Yes, the soundstage is lacking something, but these are fairly balanced for a cheap IEM.  The sub woofer stands out, and while the treble isn't lovely and airy, it's adequate, very decent, just not sparkly, though not harsh either.

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #130 of 169
  I hate the new headset controls. It's near impossible to find the buttons without looking (which is awkward to do when it is so close to your face).

I agree I always have to feel for the buttons, and sometimes there's like a 30-second delay (it might just be my phone as its headphone jack is messed but works fine with the Piston 3)

Jun 28, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #131 of 169
Hi
My Piston 3 was delivered last week from Geekbuying.
I wanna order small/medium double or triple flanges eartips from amazon.

i've found some for Monster Beats and Sennheiser but I'm not sure if they would fit with P3? which set matches with P3?

Thanks

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #132 of 169
Great controlled bass and fine tuned mids/highs in the new 3.0 pistons. Dinamic sound with punchi and a bit refined signature. I have bot 2.1 and 3.0- Both great deals. 2.0 Definitive more basshead

the Mic and control remote works flawless with lumia 620. PIston 2.1 and 3.0 as well.

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #133 of 169
Has anyone tried taking off the filters of the Piston 3? How different is the sound?

EDIT: I just went ahead and took them off... It adds a bit of edge to the highs, but doesn't really improve the lack of sharpness or precision but I will give it some time. The central and lowermids are a bit lacking with only the very uppermost midrange being a bit sharp.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #135 of 169
Bumping this for another link for replacement tips. The Sony hybrid knockoffs linked above are sold out, unfortunately. :cry:

For $16, these are really nice. They'll be my new iems for the gym.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back