Xiaomi In-Ear Headphones Pro HD (2 +1 Hybrid)
Dec 4, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #121 of 888
relax, you probably bought the HD's, but as @fonkepala said, people who bought them from gearbest seems to be the not so impressed ones. But thry scanning the QR code with vpn set to chine. The mi lights also only work with location set to china

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #124 of 888
  The naming convention is just terrible. added to the fact that on the chinese website these are just called "Pro"..

Their marketing team really needs to come up with some original names!

Agreed. Let's just stick to calling them the Generation 5 mi hybrids here for now eh :)

The gen 4 earbud housing are also more angular, as you can see from the picture the main body is a cylinder that goes into a disc with a sharp corner at the junction.  The gen 5s are also cylinder + disc but it's smooth and rounded at the transition point.  The remote buttons are different as mentioned, and the gen 4s still have the braided cable between the plug and the Y junction, while gen 5s the whole wire is TPU (plastic).

Ahh yes, good point. The point where the earpiece's 'main' body meets the 'disc' is indeed more rounded & smoothed out on the new gen 5 mi hybrid, whereas on gen 4 the same joint is more abrupt & angular as you pointed out.

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #125 of 888

Agreed. Let's just stick to calling them the Generation 5 mi hybrids here for now eh :)

Ahh yes, good point. The point where the earpiece's 'main' body meets the 'disc' is indeed more rounded & smoothed out on the new gen 5 mi hybrid, whereas on gen 4 the same joint is more abrupt & angular as you pointed out.

Aren't they the 2nd generation of hybrids?

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #127 of 888
  yes they are, but they are the 5th generation of xiaomi's earphones

Thanks for clarifying.

An update on how mine sounds with KZ 'starline' silicone tips. They're bearable to listen to now, in fact they're quite ok sounding, perhaps even borderline good. Of course not TOTL by any stretch of the imagination. I listen to them primarily via Fiio Q1 using Spotify set to extreme on my iMac. This might be brain burn in...so YMMV. 

One thing to note is that these Gen 5 hybrids is quite insensitive, in the sense that I have to crank the volume on my Q1 all the way to 6 on the pot, whereas with my other Chi-Fi IEM's like the Ostry KC06A and Tennmak Pro I barely have to go beyond 4 on the pot to get to a good listening volume. Impedance as listed on the box is 32ohms while sensitivity is 98dB.

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #129 of 888
Background

Hey, guys I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. So I've owned pistons 3 and the first gen4 hybrids and I typically listen go hip hop/RnB/rap. Was really impressed with the gen 4 hybrids for its value and so I was excited to get the new gen 5. I listen to music through my smartphone which is the HTC 10 (currently one of the best phones for audio as it has 24bit hi-res DAC and AMP) and I also leave the "boomsound" mode on which does software sound adjustments such as added bass.

Earphone testing

However, I have to say I was a little disappointed when I put them on as firstly the highs and MIDs sounded great best I've heard but the bass/ low ends were pretty weak even with "boomsound" on compared to the previous gen4 pros. After a few days of usage, the bass was still pretty weak for my liking but the better surround and better highs made it still enjoyable to listen too (this was in my bedroom with no environmental noise).

Yesterday I went to my local shopping centre and needed to take the bus, so I thought it'll be a perfect chance to see how good the noise isolation is... and I have to say I was pretty disappointed it was horrible. I was around at 70% volume on my phone which was the loudest I could listen to comfortably and I still could easily hear the bus engine noise and IDK if it's related but the bass seemed even weaker like if it's not even there.

Summary

Im not the best person for audio reviews and i am basing my review on someone who just gets an earphone and expects good sound especially in the genre i listen to (hip-hop/ rap/ RnB) and i don't think i have ever been so disappointed in earphones considering its price as the older gen4s were cheaper and still had better bass and sound isolation.

I hardly write reviews so im not sure if i have covered everything and feel free to ask me questions and hope that the review was useful.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #132 of 888
Dec 5, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #135 of 888

Users who are viewing this thread

Back