Xiaomi In-Ear Headphones Pro HD (2 +1 Hybrid)
May 27, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #646 of 888
That's called driver flex. Technically it's a manufacturing defect, and is reported to reduce the life of the driver slightly. A few of my earphones have flex in 1 ear. It's never really caused a problem other than the annoying krinkly aluminum foil sound when inserting.

Thanks for all the info! I'll be trying some of the music I have here, never felt the need to get more FLAC or high quality files before. (Although I have a few)

The sound it makes when inserting is a bit annoying, but I found out removing at an angle and helps not making the odd noise.

Cheers!

May 27, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #647 of 888
Thanks for all the info! I'll be trying some of the music I have here, never felt the need to get more FLAC or high quality files before. (Although I have a few)

The sound it makes when inserting is a bit annoying, but I found out removing at an angle and helps not making the odd noise.

Cheers!

Yeah, with mine I have never noticed a sound degradation on the side with driver flex, nor have I ever had any have a reduced life (usually cables go long before the driver). So really it's just an annoyance thing, which can be overcome by fiddling with it upon insertion or removal as you pointed out.

May 27, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #648 of 888
Good that you found a good fit. The Pro HDs work for me as well when it's fitted properly, unfortunately being normal IEMs with the wire worn down, it can move when you're walking about and would need readjusting otherwise the bass is affected.
An alternative way to make sure it always works is to do the port mod. Have a search in this thread, plenty of tutorials and pictures on how to do that.

As for soundstage, indeed the Pro HDs have a very spacious and airy soundstage that I rarely find in IEMs, very impressive.
I just used a sort of removable mounting putty to block the ports (like blue tack but stronger and more adhesive) and it's turned the Pro HDs into bass monsters. It seems to have affected the seal as well although I'm not sure how that's possible. The fact I got out of the shower about 20 minutes ago might have something to do with it (moist inner ear?) but since I blocked the ports the seal is so good sometimes that it creates a vacuum and blocks the sound completely. When I get them in the right place and I can hear, the bass is thunderous!

May 28, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #649 of 888
I just used a sort of removable mounting putty to block the ports (like blue tack but stronger and more adhesive) and it's turned the Pro HDs into bass monsters. It seems to have affected the seal as well although I'm not sure how that's possible. The fact I got out of the shower about 20 minutes ago might have something to do with it (moist inner ear?) but since I blocked the ports the seal is so good sometimes that it creates a vacuum and blocks the sound completely. When I get them in the right place and I can hear, the bass is thunderous!

Yeah, Blue Tac would work too.

You're right though - sealing off the front vent hole does affect the seal, as the area in front of the driver becomes a sealed chamber. But as you found, when you get them sealed just right by fiddling with them, they sound unbelievable.

May 28, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #650 of 888
For best fitment and sound, switch the R & L sides (ie wear R on left side and L on right side) and point them straight UP, running the cable over and behind the ear.

Makes a huge difference, because it allows a deep insertion and better comfort.

Try this without swapping L and R. It seems counterintuitive due to the angles but still fits into my ears fine

I have a few items with angled tips that I can still wear over ear like this email e.g. **** dt2+

May 28, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #651 of 888
Try this without swapping L and R. It seems counterintuitive due to the angles but still fits into my ears fine

I have a few items with angled tips that I can still wear over ear like this email e.g. **** dt2+

I'll have to try that out again. I initially tried it that way and it seemed to not fit at all (due to the angles going the wrong way as you said). Swapping the L & R fits like a glove, but maybe I was too hasty and missed something.

Thanks for the tip!

Jun 4, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #653 of 888
Finally got my pair! My girl visited her parents at home in China and brought me back a pair, my god are they beautiful and hands down the best Xiaomi earphones yet!

As a bonus, mine don't have any driver flex either. So happy with these.

Jun 9, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #654 of 888
If anyone wondered: this is how the tape mod affects the FR of the Pro HD. The vent was blocked with black electrical tape. Click here for measurement comparisons and here for my full German review of the Pro HD.

Tape-Mod-vs-No-Mod-web2.png

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #656 of 888
If anyone wondered: this is how the tape mod affects the FR of the Pro HD. The vent was blocked with black electrical tape. Click here for measurement comparisons and here for my full German review of the Pro HD.

In your review you mention that it is not possible to wear the Pro HD over the ear. This is not true. You must swap R and L side, wearing the R side in the L ear, and the L side in the R ear. Then the Pro HD can be worn over the ears just fine.

Jun 13, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #660 of 888
Finally got these after some skepticism because of the first hybrid. I have to say, they're much much better than I thought.

However my pair seems to have a amnufacturing defect straight out of the box -- a channel imbalance on the left side. It seems the wiring of a driver in the left earpiece either went out or there is a different problem entirely.

Any fixes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back