XENNS (previously known as Mangird) Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #91 of 914
I have iems with pretty light bass like the FDX1, so I didn't expect them to have a tone of bass right away, the things is the entire sub-bass section feels missing, thus it sounds shouty in the mids and very bright up top, I'm gonna change cables & tips, and burn in some more to see if that makes a difference.

Shouty mids and bright up top is what I heard, too. I normally can judge IEM pretty quickly, I sometimes like them more over time but my initial impressions tend to hold up but with these I hesitated because they sounded so different to what I expected based on the graphs and the few reviews, which are out there (messy sound, basically). I still think I posted my impressions on here a day or two too soon - should've been more enthusiastic, that's all. Hate to admit it, but burn in is a thing with these.

Looking forward to hearing what you make of them in a few days, I do hope things improve for you as they did for me.

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #92 of 914
Thanks for your impressions, 1TrickPony. I decided to wait a little longer and look more into other options. I listen to some of the stuff you named, such as DeG, Metallica, Meshuggah, Yes, Nina Simone... And that is something I have to look carefully.

Having the Tea as an alternative at the same price seems to be a good thing. And another source of frequency graph other than bggar would be nice, since yorosello here thought the bass to bleed on mids and treble to show more energy than B2, which bggar tells and shows us otherwise with his graph and comparative review.

Huh. look at that, I forgot HBB graphed it -- from that, that seems more reasonnable as a target graph and the bass emphasis lies in the sub bass so that might explain some impressions. The good ol flavor of this generation that LOVES 3K peaks is there.
Tip rolling might help.

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #93 of 914
Shouty mids and bright up top is what I heard, too. I normally can judge IEM pretty quickly, I sometimes like them more over time but my initial impressions tend to hold up but with these I hesitated because they sounded so different to what I expected based on the graphs and the few reviews, which are out there (messy sound, basically). I still think I posted my impressions on here a day or two too soon - should've been more enthusiastic, that's all. Hate to admit it, but burn in is a thing with these.

Looking forward to hearing what you make of them in a few days, I do hope things improve for you as they did for me.
Sooo....I might actually have gotten a faulty cable, I dug out a pure copper mmcx cable and used it with a 2 pin adapter, and noticed more bass pretty instantly. And I'm using foam tips right now, they help to tame the brightness as well. Will burn in for a few more days and hopefully hear a bit more bass.

Edit: I tried to EQ the bass, and after adding about 5-6 dbs in the bass region, I think I got the sound that I like. So the dd driver is capable of pretty good and textured bass, just need to wait for it to come out I guess. I will burn in some more and report back for more sonic changes.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #94 of 914
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the bass from the dynamic driver improves after breaking in the driver.

You guys are getting them pretty quick. I’m sure I’m gonna regret getting them from Drop instead of Linsoul, with free express shipping. It’s just that if something goes wrong, I’d rather deal with Drop.
I don’t think you will. Here’s what I’ve been looking at for days:
21CCCD42-EA60-46CB-B280-737DC054E807.jpeg

Jun 23, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #95 of 914
I don’t think you will. Here’s what I’ve been looking at for days:
21CCCD42-EA60-46CB-B280-737DC054E807.jpeg

Mine with iBasso DX160 and L3 looks exactly the same, including date of purchase, so we're not alone.

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #96 of 914
Mine with iBasso DX160 and L3 looks exactly the same, including date of purchase, so we're not alone.
FWIW, when I purchased the L3 a couple of months ago, Linsoul stated that they had it ready for DHL pickup for a while, but it took forever for DHL to get going with it. Once I got a tracking number from DHL, it arrived in less than a week (less than what was estimated).

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #97 of 914
FWIW, when I purchased the L3 a couple of months ago, Linsoul stated that they had it ready for DHL pickup for a while, but it took forever for DHL to get going with it. Once I got a tracking number from DHL, it arrived in less than a week (less than what was estimated).
I have a tracking number. Or is that different than what’s on that page?

Jun 23, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #98 of 914
I'm back to sharing some impressions & tips after couple days of burn in.
First of all, I would recommend getting a pure copper cable, as they did add to the bass, and so did the burning in process. After 2 days, there is now some subbass, though still not a very large quantity, they are definitely present now. I'm pretty sure it is not brain burn in because I have only been checking in with them once in a while. Since I EQed the bass, and when the bass gets too boomy for my taste, I adjusted the EQ gradually, and now I am only turning the bass up by about 2dbs, so I think burning in helped out a lot.
Second, while they are not hard to drive in terms of the volume, they do like power, what I mean is when I plugged these into my rme 2 dac's iem output, as I do with all my iems, these sounded thin and very bright, but when I tried these on the headphone output (at a lower volume), there is suddenly much more bass presence, and depth to the sound. Then I tried using the balanced output on my zx300, same thing, I'm getting a richer sound from balanced vs single ended. So try to use a balance output with these, should enhance the listening experience significantly.
As for tips, I recommend the stock tips as well, not only due to sound and fit, but also because other tips fall off the stem quite easily, like the spiral dots and the sony hybrids. Foam tips from dekoni are also good fits, and they add a bit of warmth to the sound.
After burning in, I would say the Mangird Tea has a linear and balanced sound, since the bass is not overpowering, and the mids are quite forward and very detailed, they are probably really good for monitoring.

Jun 23, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #99 of 914
I have a tracking number. Or is that different than what’s on that page?
With my order, I didn’t get any tracking information for a long time, then suddenly I received a text from DHL. Honestly, it’s so difficult to tell b/c there are so many variables, including the honesty of the seller regarding when it actually was sent, delays in DHL picking it up, delays with customs, etc. I guess that’s the one good thing with Drop, I’m not waiting around tracking anything. I just assume it will be at least a couple of months.

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #100 of 914
With my order, I didn’t get any tracking information for a long time, then suddenly I received a text from DHL. Honestly, it’s so difficult to tell b/c there are so many variables, including the honesty of the seller regarding when it actually was sent, delays in DHL picking it up, delays with customs, etc. I guess that’s the one good thing with Drop, I’m not waiting around tracking anything. I just assume it will be at least a couple of months.
How long is “a long time”?

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #101 of 914
How long is “a long time”?
For me, it was approx. 3.5 weeks. Just over a month in total from date ordered to date of arrival. But it’s completely unpredictable, so hopefully you won’t have to wait that long.

Jun 24, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #102 of 914
For me, it was approx. 3.5 weeks. Just over a month in total from date ordered to date of arrival. But it’s completely unpredictable, so hopefully you won’t have to wait that long.

I guess there is a reason why Aliexpress likes to show delivery to be taking between 20-40 days. It's not AE, granted, but I think this is the timeframe to expect when ordering anything from China. If something arrives faster it's a bonus (my Mangirds arrived faster, I think it was around 10 days, I ordered them just before the deals started and they got out before the rush started). And so the wait continues.

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #103 of 914
Jun 24, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #104 of 914
Jun 24, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #105 of 914

Users who are viewing this thread

Back