XENNS (previously known as Mangird) Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #767 of 914
EX800ST with tape mod slams harder.

I just got the Sony mdr ex800st, after tape mod and changing tips with better fit they seem alright. Nice rumbling. The annoying thing is they have sibilance with tracks whose treble is high. (Not all tracks, just occasionally, but it's still annoying.)

There is no bass with tracks that have little bass. I had to eq them so that I heard more bass from my cheapass Cowon Plenue D2.

While the focus edm are really affordable, and have no sibilance issues. Don't need much power. I prefer the focus edm with the 300 USD 8 core silver+copper aftermarket cable.

I would not get aftermarket cables from AliExpress or TaoBao, because the quality is really bad.

Attachments

• 20221124_122003.jpg
    20221124_122003.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221124_122243.jpg
    20221124_122243.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #768 of 914
I just got the Sony mdr ex800st, after tape mod and changing tips with better fit they seem alright. Nice rumbling. The annoying thing is they have sibilance with tracks whose treble is high. (Not all tracks, just occasionally, but it's still annoying.)

There is no bass with tracks that have little bass. I had to eq them so that I heard more bass from my cheapass Cowon Plenue D2.

While the focus edm are really affordable, and have no sibilance issues. Don't need much power. I prefer the focus edm with the 300 USD 8 core silver+copper aftermarket cable.

I would not get aftermarket cables from AliExpress or TaoBao, because the quality is really bad.
Did you poke a small hole in the tape? Did you remove the filter?

If you hear no bass, sounds like that's a classic fit issue. You might have to get bigger tips. Also, for some ears, they are more bassy when they're not all the way inserted

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #769 of 914
Did you poke a small hole in the tape? Did you remove the filter?

If you hear no bass, sounds like that's a classic fit issue. You might have to get bigger tips. Also, for some ears, they are more bassy when they're not all the way inserted

Yes, I switched from small to medium tips. Much more bass and isolation. I poked a small hole on both tape mods. Removed the inner filter choke plastic, but reinserted the foam to prevent dirt and earwax buildup.

I recommend getting women's pimple/blackhead facial tweezers to remove the inner filter choke plastic, because the foam is stuck to them. Need the tweezers to reinsert the foam back.

They sound quite nice now, but a minor issue that remains is on a few tracks there's some sibiliance.

Attachments

• 20221125_103659.jpg
    20221125_103659.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #770 of 914
Yes, I switched from small to medium tips. Much more bass and isolation. I poked a small hole on both tape mods. Removed the inner filter choke plastic, but reinserted the foam to prevent dirt and earwax buildup.

I recommend getting women's pimple/blackhead facial tweezers to remove the inner filter choke plastic, because the foam is stuck to them. Need the tweezers to reinsert the foam back.

They sound quite nice now, but a minor issue that remains is on a few tracks there's some sibiliance.
Try larger tips. Also try a tube or r2r amp like cayin n3pro. Imho, they sound even better with a warm source.

Also, try other brands of tips and switch the cable. There's adapters out there to switch the cable

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #771 of 914
Try larger tips. Also try a tube or r2r amp like cayin n3pro. Imho, they sound even better with a warm source.

Also, try other brands of tips and switch the cable. There's adapters out there to switch the cable

I changed my tips from small JVC Spiral dot ++ to medium small, but still was not a good seal and the silicone had a allergic uncomfortableness.

Just got the SpinFit CP100+ (Medium) for 12USD ( half price of the JVC Spiral dots++) and boy do the Sony Mdr ex800st finally have tremendous bass and sparkly treble. And the SpinFits are medical grade silicone. Just beware of which SpinFit model to buy because some are short nozzle and long nozzle, the long nozzle one is for the Sony Mdr ex800st (in the pics below, you can see the SpinFit model and measurement specfications).

Also got an adapter to use my 300 usd aftermarket 8 core silver (treble n vocals) + 8 core copper (bass) cables. The adapter I bought is "Exk" (male) to 0.78 2pin (female). "Exk" male is for Sony Mdr ex800st and Sony Mdr ex1000. 0.78 2 pin is better quality than mmcx, unless you already have a great mmcx cable to use.

Thank you very much ljnew!

Attachments

• 20221209_225807.jpg
    20221209_225807.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221209_230756.jpg
    20221209_230756.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #772 of 914
If anyone is interested, I just picked up Bravado mkii. The Xenns Up definitely has better resolution and treble sparkle/splash (note that I do EQ). Xenns up also has great syunergy with the R5 gen 2.

Dec 9, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #773 of 914
I changed my tips from small JVC Spiral dot ++ to medium small, but still was not a good seal and the silicone had a allergic uncomfortableness.

Just got the SpinFit CP100+ (Medium) for 12USD ( half price of the JVC Spiral dots++) and boy do the Sony Mdr ex800st finally have tremendous bass and sparkly treble. And the SpinFits are medical grade silicone. Just beware of which SpinFit model to buy because some are short nozzle and long nozzle, the long nozzle one is for the Sony Mdr ex800st (in the pics below, you can see the SpinFit model and measurement specfications).

Also got an adapter to use my 300 usd aftermarket 8 core silver (treble n vocals) + 8 core copper (bass) cables. The adapter I bought is "Exk" (male) to 0.78 2pin (female). "Exk" male is for Sony Mdr ex800st and Sony Mdr ex1000. 0.78 2 pin is better quality than mmcx, unless you already have a great mmcx cable to use.

Thank you very much ljnew!
Yes those are the tips i use. I also use the large

SYMBIO W Memory Foam & Silicone Hybrid Ear Tips​

If you want more bass. That's copy and paste that's why it's bold.

Dec 9, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #774 of 914
If anyone is interested, I just picked up Bravado mkii. The Xenns Up definitely has better resolution and treble sparkle/splash (note that I do EQ). Xenns up also has great syunergy with the R5 gen 2.
I picked up the tea 2. Nice but upper mids way too fatiguing imho. Doesn't sound natural at all. I prefer the sony ex800st > xenns up > tangzun wu > tea 2.

Dec 9, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #775 of 914
I'm curious if you'd like the variations. I need to do more A/B with these 2. I liked the blessing, but Variations are better, and Blessing is supposed to be superior to Tea.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #776 of 914
Yes those are the tips i use. I also use the large

SYMBIO W Memory Foam & Silicone Hybrid Ear Tips​

If you want more bass. That's copy and paste that's why it's bold.

Unfortunately, I purchased the Symbio W Memory Foam & Silicone Hybrid Ear Tips at (Medium Size), because I got the CP100+ at (Medium Size).

After consulting the store keeper, she said they were too big.

Too bad, due to hygiene reasons, there's a no return policy. So I had no choice but to get the Symbio W Memory Foam & Silicone Hybrid Ear Tips at (Small Size).

The $148 is in Hong Kong Dollars, which is like $19 USD.

The CP100+ (Medium Size) have way better fit and seal than the Symbio W Memory Foam & Silicone Hybrid Ear Tips (Medium or Small).

Thanks for the advice though.

Attachments

• 20221213_210440~2.jpg
    20221213_210440~2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #777 of 914
I'm curious if you'd like the variations. I need to do more A/B with these 2. I liked the blessing, but Variations are better, and Blessing is supposed to be superior to Tea.
As a private owner of all mentioned, I disagree that blessing is superior to Tea part. They are tuned to two different spectrum, B2/Dusk/Variations are vocal-neutral (diffusion field neutral), meanwhile Tea is instrument timbre monitor-neutral. Tea has better density and lower distort in mid range than B2s and actually most of IEMs around with sonion 2600 x 4 backing up the mid. Tea spent 90% of their cost in Midrange (knowles is 15% of the cost of Sonion in general, and DD is generally not that cost intensive as well)

BB3A4661-2C67-4A37-8D25-225D7F67530B.jpeg
DC83B17C-C64B-4793-BC5C-F1891717BDAB.jpeg

Dec 13, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #778 of 914
As a private owner of all mentioned, I disagree that blessing is superior to Tea part. They are tuned to two different spectrum, B2/Dusk/Variations are vocal-neutral (diffusion field neutral), meanwhile Tea is instrument timbre monitor-neutral. Tea has better density and lower distort in mid range than B2s and actually most of IEMs around with sonion 2600 x 4 backing up the mid. Tea spent 90% of their cost in Midrange (knowles is 15% of the cost of Sonion in general, and DD is generally not that cost intensive as well)

BB3A4661-2C67-4A37-8D25-225D7F67530B.jpegDC83B17C-C64B-4793-BC5C-F1891717BDAB.jpeg
What does "recaptured value" mean? Does that mean you feel the $79 iem sounds as good as a $1275 iem? If so, which $1275 iem? Our hobby, in general, is just so subjective. Having just sold my Variations for example, I think the Xenns Up are the superior iem. Overall, they have better resolution and clarity. That said, the Variations subbass is superior. If I could take the subbass from the variations and add it to the Xenns up, that would be pretty ideal. I also don't love the aesthetics of the Xenns Up. The red is a bit much for me. They are very solid iems though. I have Legend X coming, but I think I will hold onto my Xenns Up, regardless.

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #779 of 914
What does "recaptured value" mean? Does that mean you feel the $79 iem sounds as good as a $1275 iem? If so, which $1275 iem? Our hobby, in general, is just so subjective. Having just sold my Variations for example, I think the Xenns Up are the superior iem. Overall, they have better resolution and clarity. That said, the Variations subbass is superior. If I could take the subbass from the variations and add it to the Xenns up, that would be pretty ideal. I also don't love the aesthetics of the Xenns Up. The red is a bit much for me. They are very solid iems though. I have Legend X coming, but I think I will hold onto my Xenns Up, regardless.
Recap value is subjective figure of course. Setting $1500 for 100/100 score and start from there for high-end segment. There are over priced IEM, and undervalued ones, so setting $1,500 as max score is just a benchmarking, easier than score 2.1 or sth.

I can see Xenns Up being more resolving from the tuning, so yea if you value resolution over anything, that’s a good indicator.

Oh, yea and that Truthear HEXA, is something extraordinary… it’s 85% performance of Variations, with a fraction of the cost. Same ODM of Blessing /Variations, HeyGear’s private brand product. They basically swapped Sonion EST on Variations with Knowles WBFK, and refined the curve to a more sophisticated one.

I’m just providing my perspective and showing a disagreement over blessing > mangird tea over there.

Under my evaluations those two are equally good IEMs both hit 84/100. With different pros/cons.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #780 of 914
Recap value is subjective figure of course. Setting $1500 for 100/100 score and start from there for high-end segment. There are over priced IEM, and undervalued ones, so setting $1,500 as max score is just a benchmarking, easier than score 2.1 or sth.

I can see Xenns Up being more resolving from the tuning, so yea if you value resolution over anything, that’s a good indicator.

Oh, yea and that Truthear HEXA, is something extraordinary… it’s 85% performance of Variations, with a fraction of the cost. Same ODM of Blessing /Variations, HeyGear’s private brand product. They basically swapped Sonion EST on Variations with Knowles WBFK, and refined the curve to a more sophisticated one.

I’m just providing my perspective and showing a disagreement over blessing > mangird tea over there.

Under my evaluations those two are equally good IEMs both hit 84/100. With different pros/cons.
Cool. I get it. I have not heard the Tea myself, but read several forums that suggested blessing was superior. I don't have a stake either way. While I liked the blessing, I would go with Variations every time. But, I would go with Xenns over Variations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back