XENNS (previously known as Mangird) Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #181 of 919
Just got my Mangird Tea! Very early impressions are excellent. I think I like medium to deep insertion, but so far, this has been the worst driver flex I‘ve had on any IEM. The vents don’t look blocked either.
How long did it take? A big surprise that it didn't get lost/stolen during the very long shipping time lol.

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #182 of 919
Just got my Mangird Tea! Very early impressions are excellent. I think I like medium to deep insertion, but so far, this has been the worst driver flex I‘ve had on any IEM. The vents don’t look blocked either.

Congrats on your Tea! I’m surprised to read you’re having a driver flex issue it being a vented design.

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #183 of 919
Just bought a new Tea. I’ve been meaning to do so since I want to write a review on it.

Question ... did anyone have any issues with the vents being accidentally sealed by too much glue? I had this QC problem with the Legacy 9, and since it looks like the two share the same red/blue venting and nozzle, I was just wondering.
no issue for my unit

never encountered driver flex with my unit. worst i had was it01

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #184 of 919
I’ll need to inspect the vents much closer when I have a chance. Overall, the sound is so well balanced, with great instrument separation. I may try foam tips to help prevent driver flex, but I’m afraid of what it will do to the overall sound balance. Don’t have time for much experimentation today.

How long did it take? A big surprise that it didn't get lost/stolen during the very long shipping time lol.
It took a long time, with delay, for Drop to get it. Drop shipped it to me quickly via Fed Ex.

Aug 6, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #185 of 919
I’ll need to inspect the vents much closer when I have a chance. Overall, the sound is so well balanced, with great instrument separation. I may try foam tips to help prevent driver flex, but I’m afraid of what it will do to the overall sound balance. Don’t have time for much experimentation today.

It took a long time, with delay, for Drop to get it. Drop shipped it to me quickly via Fed Ex.

I’ll be interested in your inspection regarding the vents. The other thing you can do is cover the vents with your fingers while listening to hear if there is a difference between fingers on and fingers off. Good luck, I hope the flex issue is just finding the right tips.

My Tea arrives Saturday, so I’ll report on mine then ...

Aug 7, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #186 of 919
Holy holographic imaging and instrument separation Batman!

So far, no driver flex with foam tips, but it damps the treble a little more than I like. Imaging remains very good though. Much more experimentation left to do.

I couldn’t hear and difference in sound when covering the vents with my fingers, while listening.

Aug 7, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #187 of 919

So far, no driver flex with foam tips, but it damps the treble a little more than I like. Imaging remains very good though. Much more experimentation left to do.

I couldn’t hear and difference in sound when covering the vents with my fingers, while listening.
Covering the vents flattens the sub bass rise. Basically makes the bass a flat line, retains the extension but less rumble. It's fairly subtle though.

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #188 of 919

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the Tea, and that the driver flex issue can be overcome with different tips. 👍

Aug 7, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #189 of 919
I checked the vents with a jeweler’s loupe. No film covering the grill. I get driver flex with all silicone tips, unless I insert them shallow and very slowly, but I like the sound better with deep insertion. As a trade off, I cut the foam tips almost in half, so they don’t extend much past the end of the nozzle. It helps minimize the attenuation of the upper treble.

With full foam tips, and deep insertion, the isolation is incredibly good. Easily as good or better than most CIEMs. These are also very comfortable, and fit really well.

Aug 8, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #190 of 919
I checked the vents with a jeweler’s loupe. No film covering the grill. I get driver flex with all silicone tips, unless I insert them shallow and very slowly, but I like the sound better with deep insertion. As a trade off, I cut the foam tips almost in half, so they don’t extend much past the end of the nozzle. It helps minimize the attenuation of the upper treble.

With full foam tips, and deep insertion, the isolation is incredibly good. Easily as good or better than most CIEMs. These are also very comfortable, and fit really well.

How does the bass integrate with the rest of the range?

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #191 of 919
How does the bass integrate with the rest of the range?
Very well IMO. It is very tastefully tuned, with a sub bass bias. If you want a lot of slam, this is not the ideal IEM, but it has great extension, rumble, and just enough mid bass “thump” to be complete, w/o having any muddying of the midrange. The mids are definitely the star of the show, though all aspects are excellent. I really like that it has a really mild pinna gain, and the overall tuning sounds very natural to me. Male and female voices are equally accentuated and beautiful sounding, there is no shoutiness, and yet upper midrange and treble clarity is exceptional. It is not warm sounding, but is “full“ sounding, if that makes any sense. Just so you know my preferences, I also really like the tuning of the Shure se846, so I’m not a big fan of a lot of pinna gain and upper midrange peaks. There is a lot of resolution, but no harshness that I have found. It doesn’t have OCD detail, which is probably largely due to it’s overall tuning rather then the driver‘s capabilities, but it has plenty of detail. It’s still the honeymoon period for me, but I haven‘t found a music genre that doesn’t sound at least good on the Tea (of course there are much better options out there for specific genres).

Aug 8, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #192 of 919
I just received my Tea! With the largest of the opaque silicon tips, no driver flex. The initial sound is quite promising, but I’m going to burn-in the Tea for at least 100 hours before I comment on its capabilities.

The shells seem smaller than my Fearless S6 Rui which is a 6 ba design. Comfort on the Tea is really good, and the 8 core spc cable is a nice inclusion. The one thing with the cable, though, is there isn’t a cinch, so I’ll have to make one.

Aug 8, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #193 of 919
I forgot to mention I’m using my HiBy R5 to drive the Tea balanced, I have the 4.4mm termination.

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #194 of 919
Just out of curiosity, where are the vents located on your Mangird Tea shells? Mine are located towards the front, rather than centered on the top.

25ECCDB4-23FE-41EF-98C7-EBBF2A05AEDE.jpeg

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #195 of 919
Just out of curiosity, where are the vents located on your Mangird Tea shells? Mine are located towards the front, rather than centered on the top.

25ECCDB4-23FE-41EF-98C7-EBBF2A05AEDE.jpeg

Mine are located in the same place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back