XENNS (previously known as Mangird) Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #196 of 919
Just out of curiosity, where are the vents located on your Mangird Tea shells? Mine are located towards the front, rather than centered on the top.

Mine a few mm more away from the cable, basically at the centre of that side of the shell.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #197 of 919
Anyone have Tea and mofasest Trio together? So which one is better in technicalities and to tonality? Have decent weight on notes (definitely not thin) and great imaging / separation?
Put aside the price aspect.

I think @dabaiyan have both. Anyone else have experience with both?

Aug 10, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #198 of 919
Anyone have Tea and mofasest Trio together? So which one is better in technicalities and to tonality? Have decent weight on notes (definitely not thin) and great imaging / separation?

I sold the Tea as I found it redundent for me, I have the DK3001 pro which is also a very good hybrid IEM, with better build than the Tea imo.
Currently I prefer the Trio's sound signature, but it may just be the honeymoon period. From memory, I think the mids on the Tea is better than the Trio, with a lot of fine texture and details.

Aug 10, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #199 of 919

I've heard both extensively, if you're looking for note weight definitely the tea over the trio. Tea has better integration of the DD and the DD helps fill in the lower mids. The trio DD is almost entirely confined to lower bass and doesn't really add body to the mids, resulting in thin lower mids. Both have the overly fast decay BA timbre through the mids, but it's to my ears significantly worse of the trio due to the thinner lower mids. On the tea the fuller presentation masks the BA tone decently, though not completely. The tea sounds more natural and proper with it's weightier presentation, with the trio sounding slightly ungrounded through the mids in comparison. But due to the the thinner presentation the trio does give the perception of better technicalities. In actuality, I feel while the trio is technically better in most areas, the tea gets about 80% of the way there and doesn't trade off tone and timbre to do it. In terms of layering specifically the I actually find the tea to do a better job then the trio, which has a flatter presentation.

Both are good but it really depends on where your priorities lie. If note weight is important, then my vote definitely goes with the tea, especially with it being even better value than the already good value trio. Also read your comment in the trio thread and fwiw I don't think the trio is an upgrade to the M7, more a side grade, with the trio having marginally better technicalities due to the est, but the M7 having more natural timbre through the mids and better overall coherence. Also, M7 and tea overlap significantly in terms of overall signature and strengths, the only reason I see to get the tea if you already have the M7 is if you really want DD bass, but then you'll have to decide whether that's worth the technical tradeoffs from the M7. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #200 of 919
I sold the Tea as I found it redundent for me, I have the DK3001 pro which is also a very good hybrid IEM, with better build than the Tea imo.
Currently I prefer the Trio's sound signature, but it may just be the honeymoon period. From memory, I think the mids on the Tea is better than the Trio, with a lot of fine texture and details.
I've heard both extensively, if you're looking for note weight definitely the tea over the trio. Tea has better integration of the DD and the DD helps fill in the lower mids. The trio DD is almost entirely confined to lower bass and doesn't really add body to the mids, resulting in thin lower mids. Both have the overly fast decay BA timbre through the mids, but it's to my ears significantly worse of the trio due to the thinner lower mids. On the tea the fuller presentation masks the BA tone decently, though not completely. The tea sounds more natural and proper with it's weightier presentation, with the trio sounding slightly ungrounded through the mids in comparison. But due to the the thinner presentation the trio does give the perception of better technicalities. In actuality, I feel while the trio is technically better in most areas, the tea gets about 80% of the way there and doesn't trade off tone and timbre to do it. In terms of layering specifically the I actually find the tea to do a better job then the trio, which has a flatter presentation.

Both are good but it really depends on where your priorities lie. If note weight is important, then my vote definitely goes with the tea, especially with it being even better value than the already good value trio. Also read your comment in the trio thread and fwiw I don't think the trio is an upgrade to the M7, more a side grade, with the trio having marginally better technicalities due to the est, but the M7 having more natural timbre through the mids and better overall coherence. Also, M7 and tea overlap significantly in terms of overall signature and strengths, the only reason I see to get the tea if you already have the M7 is if you really want DD bass, but then you'll have to decide whether that's worth the technical tradeoffs from the M7. Hope this helps.

Thank you both of you for your detailed answers. Seems like they have their own strength with tea having fast, decent weight notes and details on mids, and trio having great technicalities overall. But seems both having some part overlapping with my M7 and both are not an upgrade. Actually i dont looking for an upgrade to my M7 as they also punch above their price range,
I just happen that recently i found my modded H40 is really good, and have no urge to buy another IEM currently but looking the graph, they have similarities that i like and close to my preferences which are
-sub bass focus instead of mid bass
-clean mid bass that doesnt interfere with mids
-thicker mids (as slight slope from 200hz up north than 1khz, avoiding thin mids)
-pinna gain that no more than +8db on upper mids (very important one for me to avoid shoutiness)
-a little dip on 5-6khz
-a little boost and dip from 3khz above to have crispness, or emphasize on details
And multidriver to guarantee their technicalities but still coherent.
Its not easy to find ideal tune like these. My very close ideal tuning is fearless dawn crinacle actually but they way over my budget once again.
Maybe i just save my money and get a TOTL one day and enjoy. I was hoping that i can find midfi that have TOTL taste. I thought they are close.
Again thank you very mucj for your time with detailed answer. Really appreciate it. Cheers!

Aug 10, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #201 of 919
My Tea is definitely improving in sound with additional playtime. Out of the box, there was this harshness in the upper midrange and the bass was light sounding. After 30 hours or so, the bass is fuller and the harshness for the most part is gone. I’ve got another 3 days to go, but I think I have a winner here. 😁

Aug 10, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #202 of 919
My Tea is definitely improving in sound with additional playtime. Out of the box, there was this harshness in the upper midrange and the bass was light sounding. After 30 hours or so, the bass is fuller and the harshness for the most part is gone. I’ve got another 3 days to go, but I think I have a winner here. 😁
Good chance, its a brain burn in :)

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #203 of 919
Good chance, its a brain burn in :)

Burn-in is a real phenomenon in my extensive experience working in high end audio for 26 years. The dynamic driver’s suspension will loosen with play time, and the dielectric on the cable needs to form so that there isn’t a smearing of transients. I do believe the notion that we grow accustomed to a new sound plays a role as well.

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #204 of 919
The Tea is the second Chinese made IEM I’ve purchased that didn’t include a cable cinch, the other being the Moondrop S8. I’m not sure why this is since outdoor use requires a cinch in order to maintain a good seal due to all the movement, for me at least. No matter, I used a white velcro strip that came with my final A8000, so it looks good with the spc cable.

FB3A35DB-53D9-4931-9A9B-2952B647CE47.jpeg

Aug 10, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #205 of 919
The other giveaway that the Tea is likely sourced from the same maker as ThieAudio besides the same nozzle and venting is the supplied case which is the same one that comes with the Voyager 14.

Aug 10, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #206 of 919
@DynamicEars

Regarding the Tea IMHO,

-sub bass focus instead of mid bass - check, but not a LOT of bass. Very tasteful and musical (and I’m a bass head).

-clean mid bass that doesnt interfere with mids - check, very clean.

-thicker mids (as slight slope from 200hz up north than 1khz, avoiding thin mids) - check, no bias towards female vocals. Full, but not warm sounding.

-pinna gain that no more than +8db on upper mids (very important one for me to avoid shoutiness) - check, not shouty at all.

-a little dip on 5-6khz - check, very pleasing and non-offensive tuning, at the cost of a little detail.

-a little boost and dip from 3khz above to have crispness, or emphasize on details - not sure? Sound is crisp, and detail retrieval is really good, but it is not an OCD detailed IEM. About average for a good BA IEM, I think.

- And multidriver to guarantee their technicalities but still coherent. - very coherent to me. I find the timbral accuracy really good, and natural, but I’m not as sensitive to BA sound as some others.

So far, with the limited time that I’ve had the Mangird Tea, I’ve been most impressed with the imaging. It is very holographic sounding, and the best I’ve heard thus far, though I haven’t heard a lot of TOTL/Summit-Fi IEMs. I pretty much always want to listen with my eyes closed. All this being said, it would probably be considered a side grade as a whole for you, though perhaps a worthwhile one. I think it‘s quite unique.

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #208 of 919
Well, I’m done with burn-in having put well over 100 hours in, and I’m completely satisfied with the Tea’s sound. Really excellent for the price, and unique compared to others in my collection. I should have my review up by the end of the month.

Aug 15, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #209 of 919
It is a quite bothersome to me that I can’t use silicone ear tips on my Tea, due to ALWAYS causing driver flex. While the driver flex doesn’t sound bad, I really don’t like risking damaging the DD. Now I pretty much need to use foam tips that are cut short (minimizes negative impact on upper treble). I really can‘t hear any difference when covering the vents with my fingers, but there is nothing blocking the vents externally.

However, with full length foam tips and deep insertion, the isolation is amazing, and easily rivals Etymotics, at least with upper frequencies. Multi flange tips seem to provide much better full-spectrum isolation vs foam.

Aug 15, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #210 of 919
It is a quite bothersome to me that I can’t use silicone ear tips on my Tea, due to ALWAYS causing driver flex. While the driver flex doesn’t sound bad, I really don’t like risking damaging the DD. Now I pretty much need to use foam tips that are cut short (minimizes negative impact on upper treble). I really can‘t hear any difference when covering the vents with my fingers, but there is nothing blocking the vents externally.

However, with full length foam tips and deep insertion, the isolation is amazing, and easily rivals Etymotics, at least with upper frequencies. Multi flange tips seem to provide much better full-spectrum isolation vs foam.
try this : pull your ear behind, open your mouth&jaw, then insert the iem to your ear. after that release your ear, close your mouth clench your teeth.
this works for me in inserting my iem without creating air pressure/vacuum pressure inside the ear.
i learn this from next big thing audio channel on youtube when he discuss about dunu iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back