Xears Thread (formerly TD III)
Sep 7, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #871 of 957
+1@Sandro
also have both, M4 and xe200
if you want just one IEM, I would choose M4. better allrounder
Much more detail and brightness, but also with decent bass.
And you´ll know what "dark & deep" means once you tried xe200 :wink:

edit:
what do you mean M4 are discounted?
at amazon.com for $50 (vs $70)?
Sometimes mp4nation has much better deals (got mine for $28)
Maybe try the new M5? 

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #872 of 957
Sandro and AuxIn, thanks both for your help!

Quote:
I don't know about the different materials of the xears but owing both the m4 and the xe200pro I can tell you they're like day and night. Completely different sound signatures. What sound do you prefer? oh and i actually find the xears very comfortable but I can assume that to people with small ears it could be a problem

Being small is not my main concern, but I see that the shell is much wider than most right after the tip, so I guess it cannot be pushed right to the brain  
rolleyes.gif
 (you know what I mean). But if that is not a real problem, it's ok to me.
You say m4 are very different from xe200pro? I thought (from what I read) that they were similar ('V' shape but not excessivly).
I like a lot of genres, from jazz to metal and from pop to irish folk music.

Quote:
+1@Sandro
also have both, M4 and xe200
if you want just one IEM, I would choose M4. better allrounder
Much more detail and brightness, but also with decent bass.
And you´ll know what "dark & deep" means once you tried xe200 :wink:

edit:
what do you mean M4 are discounted?
at amazon.com for $50 (vs $70)?
Sometimes mp4nation has much better deals (got mine for $28)
Maybe try the new M5? 

So you're pushing the m4... uhmmm... I'm soooo attracted by the wood shell, but I think you may be right.
M4 are discounted on amazon-UK @22.5£ (28€ - 36$), well below the 35€ of the xe200pro but I don't mind the difference. I live in europe, as you may guess (Italy as a matter of facts).

Now I am curious more than before.... what is that "dark & deep" sound? 
blink.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #873 of 957
the xe200pro v-shaped? I don't think so! They're mid centric...well lower-mids/bass centric! For dark sound we mean that it has an emphasis on those frequencies but I must say it is not a bad thing (and I am sucker for airy open sounds :D) in fact there's no bleed in the mids so there's no rumble instead it is very accurate making everything intimate, but yeah the vocals could sound muffled and dark at times but my ears learned to "interpret" that as "rich and full" vocals rather than dark, which I had the displeasure to hear from other earphones.

I don't the like m4 at all. I personally don't accept that sound signature. The mids and vocal are SOO recessed (DEEP v-shape) that makes 80% of my tracks sound odd and sometimes flat/dull. Yes they have great quality in the highs and good bass presence but they're not good for all kind of music IMHO.

As you can see we're advising the opposite :D

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #875 of 957
The M4 and XE200pro are much much much better than the cx300. They're from a different league, the cx300 is an entry level overrated IEM while the m4 and xe200pro are I would say mid-fi products, if not "more".
If you like the sound signature of the cx300 then you should consider the xe200pro for sure.

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #876 of 957
I recently bought a pair of XE200PRO. Highly recommend these. Bass is not to heavy, but tight and punchy. No bleeding observed when playing "Wishful Thinking" by China Crisis. Mids and Highs are just right. A whole heap better than CX300.
They are about one of the better IEMs I have seen so far. 
Sandro said it right, the XE2--PRO is at least mid-fi range, if not higher. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #878 of 957
Sorry to say that but... wallet won over heart! I ordered the M4.
No no actually money played a very small role in my decision: fear of discomfort of the bulky XE200 was too high. I read again all the literature about the two iems and eventually I decided to play it safe.
Thanks to Sandro and Justlovemusic for your kind advices. I really wanted the XE200, and maybe in the future I'll get a pair of them even if I'm not a collector of iems such as many on this forum.
Thanks to AuxIn: I really wanted the XE200... but you gave your opinion and opinions are very important in audio equipment. Both must be good iems, one preferred by some and the other preferred by others for their sound signatures. So I chose on practical facts, and M4 should be more comfortable.
Ok, the choice is made, and ideal or not I'm pretty sure that I'll be happy with my new iem. Thanks to all the forum, you are great!

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #880 of 957
right decision 
beerchug.gif

It´s nice listening to an acient tube-radio ... sometimes,
but I couldn´t live without clarity, detail and clean brightness.
I.e. for folk with acoustic guitar, accordion or violins (?) I really wouldn´t choose the xe200

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #881 of 957
Head-Fi...ers? First post here, and I need some help so that I can actually spend time doing something else today. To make things clear, I've spent a solid 5 hours at this point trying to make up my mind here, and I'm one of those people that will take a week to make such a decision on "just headphones" if left to my own devices for too long.

Anywho, I'm looking for a pair of IEMs to pair primarily with my phone. However, I'll also be using them with my bedside cd-player/stereo occasionally (which has no EQ control). With that said, I care a whole lot more about how it sounds out of my phone, which effectively doubles as my MP3/FLAC/OGG player on-the-go. Also, I'll have EQ controls there (at least 5-band, but potentially more depending on what software I decide to use) to correct any small issues with sound.

My problem with finding headphones that I like has always been my wide array of music tastes. I listen to alternative (pretty much all branches of it), classical, and jazz about just as often as I listen to hip-hop, pop, rap, and R&B. With that said, I also listen to rock, electronica, symphony, and house music. It would be easiest to say, everything that's not country music, opera, or dubstep I listen to. Even then... I don't mind a little dubstep in some songs.

From what I can tell with all of the reading I've done, in the price range I'm looking at (~$50), it seems like the XE200Pro or TD4 are the ones to look at. Presently, even after reading Joker's review of them, I can't really quite grasp where their strengths/weaknesses moreso lie.  So hopefully, someone else can help me out here. Without being too specific:

1. I enjoy a deep, wide soundstage.
  2. When music is intended to exhibit ambiance, I enjoy that "lost in a jungle of sound" feeling one gets from a device having good timbre.
  3. I like a nice, low bass with enough boom to get the point across and then some but I want it to have character when it does and not be just a muddy "boom."
  4. ...With that said, I don't want all the sparkle taken out of my highs as a result of too much low-end grunt. I can, even now, hear a few kHz above "normal," so if something is supposed to be heard in the higher ranges, I want to distinctly hear it.
  1. If I had to have a preference, a little bleed-through of bass into the mids would be preferred to a sharp cut-off between lows and highs. Though from what I can tell, neither of the two I mentioned have such a problem to begin with.
  2. To somewhat summarize all those points... when a sound is intended to blend a bit, I want it to do just that. At the same time, when the sounds are supposed to be distinct and separated, I want my IEMs to be up to the challenge

The TL;DR version would be, between the XE200Pro and TD4, which would you choose and why? If you've tried both, a comparative analysis of both would be greatly appreciated, as I suspect they're probably somewhat close.

From what I've read, the discontinued XR120Pro II was probably the closest thing to what I'm looking for (seems to have offered my preferred balance of "airy" vs. "intimate" and being able to swing between "types" of bass) , but there doesn't seem to be any information at all regarding the XR120Pro III, so I'm not sure whether or not to bother with that one or not =/

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #883 of 957
xpa2pro are brand new, available for 2-3 days now, I doubt someone own them already.
Looking interesting, but the plug looks big and heavy ... will they fit comfortably, will the plug stay 
or get loose after a while, and last not least, will you get a replacement cable when needed?
seems there is none even now :wink:

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #884 of 957
I got my hands on some A330M look a likes 

http://www.priceangels.com/AWEI-ES800M-Fashion-Noodle-Metal-In-Ear-Headphone-Earphone-s583678.html

They sound amazing and are imo a good upgrade for those who liked the XKDUN CK-700 (I kinda prefer these over my Brainwavz M1). Very clear and full sound packed with stunning detail retrieval in this price range and some decent soundstage. They are my go to use and abuse IEM since they are so cheap. 

Sent Dsnuts a pm to look into these and he is going to do a review of these soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back