Xears Thread (formerly TD III)
Nov 14, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #512 of 957

Quote:

I wouldn't call M2 a bright signature though. 
+1 for RE0

RE272 if you want an upgrade over RE-0. But these IEMs are good for certain genres (e.g. Post Rock). Not ideal for where the situation demands bass and sub bass rumble.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #513 of 957
WOWwwwwww

They arrived in about 4-5 days to Ontario, Canada from Germany! They were shipped out on Nov 8th I believe and weekend days do not count.

How do you tell what is left and right? One cable is shorter

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #519 of 957

Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't call M2 a bright signature though. 
+1 for RE0

RE272 if you want an upgrade over RE-0. But these IEMs are good for certain genres (e.g. Post Rock). Not ideal for where the situation demands bass and sub bass rumble.

yea. i did had the RE0 in a while ago. loved them! but broke easily. still, i'm may get them again. 
the B2 would have been an option, but i'm interested in the ath-ck10. the deep insertion just worries me a bit

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #521 of 957
Hi,

It has been a very long time since I'm back in head-fi due to stuttering issues on my PC with headfi (still is happening but not as bad now) and I'm here to offer my opinion on the earphones.

Its been quite a long time since i took out my Xears from last year. If Im not wrong it was during the period where some guy( I dont remember anymore) opened this thread talking about this wicked amazing wooden earphones from Xears and Playaz.

Being curious and all, I went straight ahead and bought, 6/7 pairs i think? For a grand total of 80 pounds ( Pretty good deal actually).

Its hard to recall what model i got actually. But i do have something like the TM1s, the TD100s , N3s, XE200s and other 2 others i didn't bother to open( tell you why in a moment).

My favourites out of the entire bunch were the TD100s and it looks like the TD series are still the setting the standard for Xears.

I didn't really like the XE200s and the N3s which were more recommended at that time though. Too much bass everywhere.

Now on to why I didn't open the rest of the Xears and didn't even try them. Xears at that time had really shoddy build quality. Everyone that I tried actually had driver flex. Nothing too serious except it would always crackle when fitting it in. Not a deal breaker but very annoying.

With the Xears, I had this very nagging feeling that the earphones probably all used the same standard drivers, just that the housings on the different earphones contributed to the different sound. At least that was how i feel.

The TD100s remain one of the earphones which blew me away the first time i heard it. For 20, they were really something special. At that time i failed to admit it because i was in denial as i didn't want to think i wasted my money on my Meelecs! But the TD100s are really something.

And i stopped using them after 2 weeks. The build quality was just terrible. I couldn't stand it. Passed them on to my sister and brother. Not sure where they are now.

So basically, the Xears TD series are fantastic, can even say its amazing ( though i faintly remember someone saying that it was better than the IE8... no way though) for its price point, at least for the price i got it at.But you really have to deal with the shoddy build quality, even now when they have upped their QC abit.

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #522 of 957
My XE200Pro, the replacement for my former Ultraphile that broke after just 4 days of use, arrived today. Unfortunately I can't really recall the sound quality of the Ultraphile but I have a feeling that the XE200Pro is a bit better. The bass is good but not overpowering, the soundstage is wide and very clear and I fail to notice a significant amount of bass bleed so the mids do seem quite refined. This is without burning and an iPhone 4 as source, so the characteristics might change over time. I just hope they last much longer than my Ultraphile.

On the negative side they are fairly large and thus stick out if you wear them. I normally like J-cords, but the short piece of the XE200Pro is really short. Since the the splitter is also relatively big it quite often gets stuck on my shirt just because of its positioning. I'm also a bit worried about the cord. The cloth structure seems to be durable but it scratches when worn directly on the skin which is quite mandatory when using a J-cord headphone. I hope this will change over time.

So much for my first impression.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #523 of 957

Quote:
My XE200Pro, the replacement for my former Ultraphile that broke after just 4 days of use, arrived today. Unfortunately I can't really recall the sound quality of the Ultraphile but I have a feeling that the XE200Pro is a bit better. The bass is good but not overpowering, the soundstage is wide and very clear and I fail to notice a significant amount of bass bleed so the mids do seem quite refined. This is without burning and an iPhone 4 as source, so the characteristics might change over time. I just hope they last much longer than my Ultraphile.

On the negative side they are fairly large and thus stick out if you wear them. I normally like J-cords, but the short piece of the XE200Pro is really short. Since the the splitter is also relatively big it quite often gets stuck on my shirt just because of its positioning. I'm also a bit worried about the cord. The cloth structure seems to be durable but it scratches when worn directly on the skin which is quite mandatory when using a J-cord headphone. I hope this will change over time.

So much for my first impression.

what happened to ur audiophiles.... did they 'just break' ??? Also, are the audiophiles a Y-split or J-split?

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #524 of 957
You mean the Ultraphiles? I think there was some issue with the soldering, the left earbud just stopped working after 5 days. The Ultraphile are Y-split.

But there sound is good, I think not as good as the XE200Pro or TDIII v2 but the gap is not that big.

Nov 18, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #525 of 957

Quote:
You mean the Ultraphiles? I think there was some issue with the soldering, the left earbud just stopped working after 5 days. The Ultraphile are Y-split.

But there sound is good, I think not as good as the XE200Pro or TDIII v2 but the gap is not that big.

Yes haha. I meant the ultraphiles. Also, which has the most supreme bass without lacking treble? I want to order the ultraphiles because they look nice, i love the flat cable, and i heard they are smaller than others. It seems the TD series is the most favored by the head-fi community BUT I'm not sure for what kind of music. If you think the ultraphiles will still fit my needs for supreme bass and quality trebles, please let me know. Thanks. (I'd rather order the A330Pro's BUT seeing that XSR330Pro are probably made at the same factory, I haven't heard as nice things about the xsr so i want to stay away from the a330. If anyone has input on those as well, please say so)

I listen to electro/house/hiphop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back