Xears Thread (formerly TD III)
Feb 16, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #678 of 957
As a past owner of the XSR330PRO, I must say, they were horrible.

First of all, I must mention got a defective set - the left earphone was much quieter than the right one, along with a major driver flex on the right ear. Figuring it would get fixed by time - I was wrong. After 10 hours of burn-in I got nothing - while I waited for a response from Thomas, I headed on to try them for their SQ, not minding the volume differences.

The sound was very distant and unclear; It seemed like there were no highs and mids at all - only mid-bass. The sound was terribly boomy and muddy, I really did not expect this from a 30euro earphones, let alone 120euro ones.
Using an equalizer and boosting up the 4KHz bands (as a member suggested here about the Ultraphiles - which are the same as the XSR330PRO except for minor changes in the design) and adding some treble on my amp made listening to the XSR330PRO possible, however, when I switched off to my ViSang R02 they sounded SO MUCH better (with the EQ turned off of course).

Few hours later the metal grill-thing fell off and the left earphone ceased to work. Thomas then told me to destroy them and take a picture of it, did so. After reading a bit around this forum, I requested the XE200PRO as a replacement - I really hope they will sound good (at least better than my ViSangs) after going through all of this trouble.

*As I mentioned earlier - the set was defective, therefore the SQ might have been not the same as intended, however this is my short review of the earphone I received.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #679 of 957

Quote:
Few hours later the metal grill-thing fell off and the left earphone ceased to work. Thomas then told me to destroy them and take a picture of it, did so. After reading a bit around this forum, I requested the XE200PRO as a replacement - I really hope they will sound good (at least better than my ViSangs) after going through all of this trouble.

*As I mentioned earlier - the set was defective, therefore the SQ might have been not the same as intended, however this is my short review of the earphone I received.

Would be good to get a comparison of the ViSangs and the XE200PRO! Partly so I know whether I made the right choice in getting the XE200PRO. Heh.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #680 of 957
They better be, or else I'm asking for a refund.
Also, the direct opponent of any XE200PRO (or any other Xears earphone that falls under the coupon) should be the ViSang R03, they are both priced at ~60$.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #681 of 957

Quote:
As a past owner of the XSR330PRO, I must say, they were horrible.

First of all, I must mention got a defective set - the left earphone was much quieter than the right one, along with a major driver flex on the right ear. Figuring it would get fixed by time - I was wrong. After 10 hours of burn-in I got nothing - while I waited for a response from Thomas, I headed on to try them for their SQ, not minding the volume differences.

The sound was very distant and unclear; It seemed like there were no highs and mids at all - only mid-bass. The sound was terribly boomy and muddy, I really did not expect this from a 30euro earphones, let alone 120euro ones.

TD4 or XE200PRO or more laid back ultraphiles, everything else will leave you disappointed. I am considering to order ebony wood edition and TD4.

I have the same issue with XE200PRO, low volume in left channel and it nearly breaks the listening pleasure. But the quality of sound is astounding for the price 30 euro.

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #684 of 957

Quote:
I've delayed writing a review due to a cold but to me its a wider sound, more airy and clear.

N3i
Darker more compressed sound
Vocals aren't as crisp and are more sibilant 
Bass is more present and more boomy
Midrange is slightly more recessed

TD4
Vast difference in bass, not as powerfull but has a punch and extends deep. It doesn't intrude into the other frequencies and is present where needed. I guess its how it should be, very similar to memory of the Coppers bass. On other Xears models, the strain reliefs acted as vents but with a thicker cable there is less ventilation so less bass.
More forward midrange, more detail better clarity
Still a bit sibilant but hardly noticeable to me.

The cable and build are fantastic, have a really nice weight to them and dont tangle easily but no cable cinch. There is also less driver flex and seem like a well put together IEM. 

Overall i prefer the openness of the TD4 as a basshead its a nice change. Although i prefer the bass to knock me of my seat there is enough to keep me happy. Its a matter of taste here, those who want bass monsters, look elsewhere but those who want a punchy and clear pair with fantastic build, these are ideal.

Hopefully I can add more comments about the copper this week, my friend who owns them is coming down to see me.

Just got the TD4's and would have to agree. I haven't got the N3i's yet so can't compare them. I haven't burned them in yet, but they sound fantastic out the box.

They blow the SoundMAGIC PL21's away in every respect (not that they're bad just these are much better). The PL21's are certainly much nicer to listen to than Senn CX-300ii, and would probably make a better pair of monitors than the TD4's (a lot like the ex-700s with less powerful drivers).

The TD4's middle and highs are around the same as ex-700 but probably a bit more defined with a very slightly wider soundstage. The bass is more pronounced than ex-700 without any distortion, and sounds just right to my ears.

The Radiopaq Jazz are actually quite fun with the right eq if you want a cheaper option (£10 on amazon). 

The only negatives with the TD4's are that there is A LOT of cord noise if you don't wear them over the ears (which reduces this issue greatly). I also find that they have a limited "sweet spot" where they sound as they should; I should probably play with some of the other earbuds though! They also only have the left channel marked on the buds, which is lightly etched into the wood and can be tricky to see.

Overall though if you get the 30 euros deal they are an absolute steal, and even at full price I think they're good value.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #685 of 957

Quote:

The only negatives with the TD4's are that there is A LOT of cord noise if you don't wear them over the ears (which reduces this issue greatly). I also find that they have a limited "sweet spot" where they sound as they should; I should probably play with some of the other earbuds though! They also only have the left channel marked on the buds, which is lightly etched into the wood and can be tricky to see.

Interesting, mine aren't etched into the wood at all. Both L and R are etched into the strain reliefs on mine. Did we wind up with different models?

Another thing to note is that I'm actually struggling to wear mine behind the ears because the cable is too stiff. It keeps coming off my ear. It IS gradually conforming to the curve of my ear though. I also find that the provided tips don't give me a comfortable/decent seal, so I've scavenged old tips from my Nuforce NE-6 and Crossroads Mylarone X3i, and finally managed to get a good seal.

So far with about 20-ish hours of burn in, I'm pretty pleased with the TD4's! The mids and treble are definitely clearer than my NE-6. They are especially good on songs with a lot of vocals. Bass wise they are definitely a lot lighter than the NE-6 (famed for its bass), but are much tighter and have better speed. The soundstage is also wider than the NE-6, but less than the X3i (from memory). I do miss the amazing soundstage on the X3i, wonder if there are any budget options similar to it?

Anyway overall the TD4's are plenty worth their price!

Edit: With more burn-in time (and possibly also due to tips that fit), the sound stage has been getting noticeably larger, which I'm really pleased with!

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #686 of 957
I'm surprised there isn't more hype for these earphones, the TD4 is really turning out to be a fantastic buy for me! Build quality looks solid (but we'll see in 6 months' time), and sound is really good! I'd love to read more reviews from other people who have bought these! In the mean time, here's a song that sounds SO much better on my TD4's than my Nuforce Ne-6! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR94NDIfGmA&list=PL2FCE4EAED0A3000B&index=1&feature=plcp

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #688 of 957
I've got my first xears 200pro walnut and will compare them to my sunrise xcape imp. ed.
just will burn in them for about 50 hours first.. then will post my impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back