Xears Thread (formerly TD III)
Feb 1, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #661 of 957
I want to get something from Xears because I'm really tight on money and the KLANGFUZZIS code brings almost everything down to 30 euros, so what would someone recommend? There are two versions of the XE200PRO which everyone seems to recommend, so which of those should I go with? The Walnut Edition or the XE200PRO Ebony? Has anyone tried the Supreme Reference XSR330PRO yet?

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #662 of 957
^^Go with the tried and tested, XE200PRO or TD-IV (no reviews yet but replaced TD-III V2 as per Thomas from Xears) .

personally I prefer walnut edition for the looks, never got to compare them with Blackwood version. Ebony wood version looks better than both, tempted to order one for me. Plus it doesn't have cloth sheathed J cord. But the description says otherwise.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #663 of 957
XE200 it is! Thanks for the quick reply, I was worried I might have to wait a while. I'm used to pretty cheap headphones (I don't think I've used anything much higher than $40), but I'm helplessly addicted to music and it pains me having to fall back on stock ones whenever mine break! I'll give my impressions when I get them later this month. :D

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #664 of 957
I have had the TD4's for a few days now and they sound good. I am impressed with the cable and the build quality of these too. To me there is less driver flex and the housings seem pretty solid (same as the TDIII). Compared to the N3i, there is less bass but its tighter with shorter decay. Sparkling highs, wider soundstage and the vocals are clearer and there is more clarity. Full review to come when my hybrid tips come and with more burn in (currently only have 20hours).

From memory they sound like the Turbine Coppers...

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #665 of 957

Quote:
I have had the TD4's for a few days now and they sound good. I am impressed with the cable and the build quality of these too. To me there is less driver flex and the housings seem pretty solid (same as the TDIII). Compared to the N3i, there is less bass but its tighter with shorter decay. Sparkling highs, wider soundstage and the vocals are clearer and there is more clarity. Full review to come when my hybrid tips come and with more burn in (currently only have 20hours).

From memory they sound like the Turbine Coppers...

Did you say _wider_ soundstage? And I thought the N3I and the xe200pro won everything else in the Xears' lineup in terms of soundstage and separation (and air too). I own the TDIII, and from what I understand, the TD4's are the TDIII successors right? If what you say is true then I suppose Xears really nailed this one.

To my ears, the TDIII sounds like a dulled down version of the N3I, in both bass and treble; more specifically the TDIII have the extreme ends of its frequency response (below 50hz and above ~13500hz) rolled-off. The N3I also has a slight bit of bass roll-off, at the very bottom, around 30hz to 20hz, but that'd be fixed with a little bit of EQ.

I'll be gladly waiting on your review of the TD4, especially because the coupon stopped working AND because the TD4 costs <30 euros by default.

Fyi, I'm using the N3I (with comply tips) a lot ever since I got it and it's been my favourite out of everything I've tried so far (apart from the JVC ha-fx1x for its bottomless bass). The only qualm I have with it is it gets sibilant (rather easily imo) with poorly mixed recordings. Without comply tips however, I can't stand it at all (I'm not primarily a basshead, just can't stand overly bright sound sigs), so it'd be nice if you could comment on the graininess/harshness of the treble/upper-mids if there are any.

edit: Last I checked the Xears Nature XN2 was at 19 Euros or so, and now suddenly it jumped to 69 Euros? I mean what the hell? Is Thomas randomly pricing his stuff?

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #667 of 957
Woah it really does work again. The last time I checked was after new years so I thought Thomas must've finally disabled the coupon for good and then I stopped checking afterwards. Thanks for the heads-up.

So I guess I don't need that TD4 review as much now.. *goes off to order more Xears N3Is*.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #668 of 957
Getting the TD4 and the N3I - will let you know my 1st impressions
Currently on SoundMAGIC PL21 - TV/GaMes/PC  Radiopaq Jazz - Mp3 (w995)

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #669 of 957
Anyone knows how long shipping takes to get to Asia? I ordered a TD4 and a XE200Pro 5 days ago, and have not gotten any notice about it being shipped. Thomas also did not reply to a couple of emails requesting for the tracking number. The status when I log in say order "Complete" though.

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #672 of 957
I've delayed writing a review due to a cold but to me its a wider sound, more airy and clear.

N3i
Darker more compressed sound
Vocals aren't as crisp and are more sibilant 
Bass is more present and more boomy
Midrange is slightly more recessed

TD4
Vast difference in bass, not as powerfull but has a punch and extends deep. It doesn't intrude into the other frequencies and is present where needed. I guess its how it should be, very similar to memory of the Coppers bass. On other Xears models, the strain reliefs acted as vents but with a thicker cable there is less ventilation so less bass.
More forward midrange, more detail better clarity
Still a bit sibilant but hardly noticeable to me.

The cable and build are fantastic, have a really nice weight to them and dont tangle easily but no cable cinch. There is also less driver flex and seem like a well put together IEM. 

Overall i prefer the openness of the TD4 as a basshead its a nice change. Although i prefer the bass to knock me of my seat there is enough to keep me happy. Its a matter of taste here, those who want bass monsters, look elsewhere but those who want a punchy and clear pair with fantastic build, these are ideal.

Hopefully I can add more comments about the copper this week, my friend who owns them is coming down to see me.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #674 of 957
Yeap they seem to be gone. My TD4's and XE200Pro's just arrived half an hour ago! In the process of burning in the TD4's now. (the XE200Pro belong to the gf so she gets the privilege of opening them). A few minutes of 1st impressions (compared to my Nuforce NE-6's) showed them to be comparatively light on bass and more forward sounding. Not exactly an audiophile, so I can't give a detailed review, but will make some layman's comparisons later on if possible.

The bass did seem to increase noticeably even as I listened to the same song 2 or 3 times, so perhaps there's a rapid burn-in at the start (or I could just be imagining it).

Edit: Forgot about build quality - Feels good to me, cable is really thick and feels strong. In fact it's so thick that the cable becomes so stiff it doesn't wrap around my ear well, but I guess it will soften up soon. Also, the Left and Right markings are really small and quite hidden (on the inside part of the strain relief), which is different from the TD II pictures that I see. I might make some kind of more obvious marking for my own convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back