Xears PB120 "Powerball" -- review
Feb 4, 2011 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

caimanjosh

New Head-Fier
Greetings head-fi'ers -- I've been browsing the site off and on for some time now, and I've come to consider it really the best place to try and learn about IEM's before purchasing...since as far as I know, there's no way to actually try them without purchasing them.  I've read a lot of reviews on here for many different headphones, and since I haven't seen any for the PB120, I thought I'd write up a quick little review, since I've recently purchased a pair.

First a bit of background on my listening experience -- I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile.  Til now, I've done most of my listening on a pair of Creative EP-630's (which I liked overall, though the bass did seem to crowd out the mids more than I'd prefer), some Soundmagic PL11's (which believe it or not, I found a bit 'boring', but not bad), Soundmagic PL30's (amazing soundstage, but just not enough bass for metal, which is what I listen to 90% of the time), and recently some Sennheiser CX281 (which I overall like). 

So, about the PB120's... 

Accessories/Build Quality:  They came packaged fairly simply, and the kit includes the 'phones themselves, the usual 3 pairs of S/M/L tips, some biflanges, some foam tips, and a pouch to hold the headphones. I haven't used the tips much, because as soon as I put them in, I found that they seemed to sort of "fold" inside my ear and fail to form a good seal.  As such, I immediately swapped them out with some Soundmagic tips, which worked much better.  Some users on here have noted the poor quality of the Xears tips, so I wasn't surprised.  (As I sort of doubt that there's anyone on head-fi who doesn't have multiple spare pairs of tips, I doubt this is a big deal, but for anyone who doesn't have some spares around, beware.)  The phones themselves seem to be of roughly average build quality - the wires are perhaps a bit thinner than those of other canalphones I've owned.  They don't include a shirtclip, which disappointed me, so I had to steal one from one of my inactive pairs of headphones.  Happily, I haven't had major issues with cable tangles so far - hopefully that will hold. 

Comfort:  I find them quite comfortable, with my Soundmagic tips in place at least.  As they are small, you can insert them fairly deeply if you do desire.  The cable is a 'Y' cable, not one of those irritating 'J' cables, and the cable length is about right to use them with your mp3 player in your pants pocket. 

Isolation:  Isolation is definitely less than with many other pairs of canalphones I've used.  Checking the outside of the housings, I believe I see why.  There appears to be a small hole on the outside of each.  I suspect that this may be in order to facilitate more of a soundstage (more on that later).  In terms of isolation, I think they may be similar to my Soundmagic PL30's. 

Sound:  Now to the heart of the matter.  The Powerballs unquestionably have a bass-heavy sound.  As this is what I was looking for when I bought them, I'm not complaining.  The bass is quite prominent and might possibly even be larger in quantity than my EP-630's (as I recall them...they died on me a couple of months ago, RIP).  However, I was pleased to discover that the mid-range is also fairly prominent.  Vocals in general sound good and cut right through the thick layer of bass that permeates these earphones.  Treble, though, I found to be a bit lacking.  To be sure, it's there, but it seems rather muted to my ears.  In short, the PB120's are definitely more for those looking for some serious bass. 
That brings me to what I found to be perhaps the most interesting characteristic of these headphones, which is the soundstage.  To my surprise, they have what feels like a pretty large soundstage.  In my experience, the only ones that could match them on this would be the famous Soundmagic PL30's.  In a way, though, the soundstage here feels even "bigger" - not wider, but just bigger, owing I suspect to the substantial bass presence.  Despite the fact that these canalphones are very small, they have about the "biggest" sound of any earphones I've tried.  This "big" sound is assisted by the very high sensitivity which these sport, 125 db.  With these 2 factors combined, the resulting listening experience is unquestionably a powerful one, though one that I'm not sure will appeal to a lot of people on head-fi. 

Conclusions:  I'm not sure exactly who these will appeal to most.  I would think anyone who likes various types of electronica/dance would probably like these quite a bit, with their impactful bass and clear mids.  Acoustic guitar sounds very nice as well.  For rock/metal (which is what I bought them for), they're maybe something of a mixed bag - the mids are decent, the bass is powerful (almost too much so), but the treble a bit lacking.  But for ~$23, I'm fairly happy with them, and I'm even more intrigued to try out the famous (well, on head-fi) Xears TD100's or whatever their current iteration is.  I'd be curious to see comments from anyone else who has a pair of these and what they think about them or my review of them.

Pros:
- plenty of bass
- decent mids
- surprisingly big soundstage
- budget-oriented

Cons:
- recessed treble
- too much bass for some
- poor stock tips

I hope this is helpful to a few people at some point.  Happy listening! 

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 12
Well, I have both the PB120 (original black one) and TD100-II.  The TD100-II are far, far superior.  Not that the PBs are bad.  They're decent, but they're not as good as, say, the XB120Pro from Xears, which I think is their best deal currently--unless you can grab the TD100's around 20 euros like I did 
etysmile.gif

My impression of the power balls is very similar to yours.  Except I didn't find the stock tips that bad, the double flange is surprisingly nice compared to the ones that came with the TD100-II.  The sound is pretty "snappy", remind me of the PL21, perhaps a tad superior.  However, I don't know if it's the case for you, but my pair has totally crazy driver flex. The TD's have some (it's bad enough that it bothers me when I wear them outside to shovel), but the PB120s are just flexing all the time... though just from the right earphone.

Overall, a relatively good earphone, but I found the PL21 to have somewhat similar sound for roughly the same price, but better accessories and build quality.  So it's not really a "steal" when compared to the other Xears earphones I have.  Though I must say they were the least troublesome fit of the three.  But the others have way, way better sound, even the relatively cheap XB120Pro.

By the way thanks for your review.  I've been meaning to do one of those earphones myself, but, well, it's been a busy last couple of months...

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the response.  I rather suspected that the TD-100's were a big step up (or whatever their successors are...I think the latest generation is named the TD-III -- I wonder how they've changed?) .  I suppose I'll just have to keep a lookout for a price drop on those, as they're rather expensive at the moment.  I've noticed a bit of driver flex on my PB120's, but it's only noticeable when I'm not listening to music.  That being the case, it doesn't really bother me.

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 12
Update on these:  recently I figured out a way to install an equalizer on my mp3 device (Nokia N800).  With that in hand, I bumped up the treble some and slightly decreased the dominating mid-bass.  Result:  they sound a lot more lively.  In fact, with their nice soundstage, I think they sound pretty good with these little tweaks.  With these changes, I'm quite happy with these for < $25.  I just wish they isolated more - isolation is fairly minimal with these, perhaps less than with any other canalphones I've owned. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 12
@sunspot,

Can you comment on the sound stage of PB120 vs TD100-II? I think these are the vented ones similar to the old Playaz line-up. I've been curious to get my hands on one, but only if the SQ is at least comparable to TD. Don't know if a model which sounds similar to Playaz N1/N3 exists now.

@caimanjosh,

Forget isolation! In my short experience, lack of isolation and 'big, open sound stage' go hand in hand :wink:

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
@sunspot,

Can you comment on the sound stage of PB120 vs TD100-II? I think these are the vented ones similar to the old Playaz line-up. I've been curious to get my hands on one, but only if the SQ is at least comparable to TD. Don't know if a model which sounds similar to Playaz N1/N3 exists now.

@caimanjosh,

Forget isolation! In my short experience, lack of isolation and 'big, open sound stage' go hand in hand :wink:

Hmm... I'm just a newbie in the audio field, so I'm not sure how to evaluate soundstage properly... Any song suggestion for that?  I mostly listen to electronic music which present all the parts more or less at similar distance...

It's been a while since I've used them (my wife has them for now), but I recall they sounded pretty similar to the SoundMagic PL-21, maybe a bit "quicker" on fast track.  But comparing them to the TD100-II or even the XB120Pro they sounded much less clear.  I'll have to try EQ-ing them a bit and see if it helps clear it up.  In the Xears I've bought, this was the only one I felt a bit disappointed with.

Saw a big Xears vs Brainwavz thread on techenclave (IIRC it was yours, actually), and was somewhat surprised because I expected the XT120Pro to be the N3 successor due to the housing shape looking similar.  But apparently not.

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Saw a big Xears vs Brainwavz thread on techenclave (IIRC it was yours, actually), and was somewhat surprised because I expected the XT120Pro to be the N3 successor due to the housing shape looking similar.  But apparently not.

Yep! That very long comparison is mine. Actually that's the "condensed version"
redface.gif

For measuring sound stage, it would be easier to pick out when you have sound effects moving from extreme left to extreme right.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Yep! That very long comparison is mine. Actually that's the "condensed version"
redface.gif

For measuring sound stage, it would be easier to pick out when you have sound effects moving from extreme left to extreme right.

Heh, I'm curious if you have the non-condensed version somewhere 
etysmile.gif
 I actually just acquired the Brainwavz M1 during the 18$ sale, and I must say they're quite enjoyable (and so comfortable), so it looks like we are following parallel paths...

Back to the PB120... Well, I have more respect for them now listening to some different tracks.  They're not half-bad!  Possibly because my wife has used them some and that burned them in, I find them a lot more decent.  I've got to unpack my PL-21 later and try comparing them again.  Unfortunately I don't have the bullets with me this

Soundstage-wise, as far as I can tell, they're pretty good, slightly more open (they sound a bit more out of the head, though both are very well separated) than the TD100-II.  Not surprising since they're vented. I tried a couple of tracks you suggested as well as some stuff from ORIGA's Era of Queens album.

I still like the TD100 better because of clarity and it turns out I like intimate soundstages.  Anyway, testing this was fun and made me discover yet one more thing!

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Yes, I had rather suspected this, once I thought about how my Soundmagic PL30's had the same setup - great soundstage, not that much isolation.  I suppose any earphone that keeps the sound contained deep within your ear - and thus also keeps exterior noise out - is going to have an intimate soundstage. 

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #11 of 12

Yes, I had rather suspected this, once I thought about how my Soundmagic PL30's had the same setup - great soundstage, not that much isolation.  I suppose any earphone that keeps the sound contained deep within your ear - and thus also keeps exterior noise out - is going to have an intimate soundstage. 

As far as I understand it, you need either a huge housing (i.e., Turbine-like, or like the old Playaz N3) or an open design.

I believe the same considerations apply to full-size headphones as well, although of course even closed housings are quite big by default!

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #12 of 12
Well, I got a pair of Xears TD-II's, and to my surprise, the soundstage is just as good as the Powerballs'.  It might actually be better.  Especially impressive given the closed design.  So now I have both spacious soundstage and isolation.  Looks like my PB120's will now be my backup 'phones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back