XDUoo XD05PRO
Dec 31, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #1,217 of 2,347
IMG_4695.jpg

I replaced the capacitors on the op amp board to a shorter model. Specifically, I replaced the original Panasonic 16SEPC100MW with 16SEPC100M. They have the same capacitance and voltage specs but different ESRs. I thought maybe it's no big deal. The obvious advantage is excellent clearance for discrete op amps like the Sparkos. I can't tell if there is any difference in terms of sound. Now it's possible to try even bigger op amps, such as the SA200 from LIEEWHO.

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #1,218 of 2,347
My unit is going back to constantly entering Protection Mode and getting quite frustrated, doesn't matter the DAC or source or file being played. Quite frustrated with my unit.

Dec 31, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #1,219 of 2,347
Seems i got a defective extension cable with mine. Not working with IOS or Android devices. No lights come up.
The short ones work fine. Others with the same problem?

Dec 31, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #1,220 of 2,347
IMG_4695.jpg
I replaced the capacitors on the op amp board to a shorter model. Specifically, I replaced the original Panasonic 16SEPC100MW with 16SEPC100M. They have the same capacitance and voltage specs but different ESRs. I thought maybe it's no big deal. The obvious advantage is excellent clearance for discrete op amps like the Sparkos. I can't tell if there is any difference in terms of sound. Now it's possible to try even bigger op amps, such as the SA200 from LIEEWHO.

From what I read,

16SEPC100MW has 10mohm ESR

while

16SEPC100M has 24mohm ESR

Capacitors with lower ESR are usually better, because they are able to respond better to fast transients of power demand, and therefore (essentially) perform their power supply filtering function better.

If then, in the specific case, what and how much difference this could make, I really don't know how to judge.

Dec 31, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #1,221 of 2,347
Here is my XD-05 Pro setup using a pricely cheap player (Ruizu D29) via Bluetooth and have the XD-05 Pro doing the DAC and AMP work. For the Amps I have installed the Sparkos SS3602. In the box I have (from left to right: Lieewho EQ200, Oracle III 02 with headsinks, in gold the AkLIAM VV8, Oracle II 02 and the stock opamps (which I have not tested yet).
My favorite DAC Module is the ROHM (makes the sound complete, as I want to have on how music should sound). the default IEMs ThieAudio Prestige LTD.

short summary on opamps (in liking of the sound):
- Lieewho EQ200 (physically slightly bigger then the sparkos and you can fiddle them into the XD-05 Pro)
- Sparkos SS3602
- Oracle III 02
- AkLIAM VV8, Oracle II 02
I will do more listening and combining DAC Modules with different opamps and make a more detailed review (on what I like regarding on the sound not the technical curves etc).

Would I buy those opamps again. yes, because it gives me to freedom in switching and mixing and being wondered on how the music will sound.
Thanks very much. Looking forward to your take on things.

Jan 2, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #1,222 of 2,347
From what I read,

16SEPC100MW has 10mohm ESR

while

16SEPC100M has 24mohm ESR

Capacitors with lower ESR are usually better, because they are able to respond better to fast transients of power demand, and therefore (essentially) perform their power supply filtering function better.

If then, in the specific case, what and how much difference this could make, I really don't know how to judge.
I actually sent an email to Xduoo and asked if they sell the op-amp board as a spare part. Like people tried this earlier, I believe the message was completely ignored. I think 24mohm is a pretty low resistance value to start with. The reduction of height is really alluring. Maybe the filtering ability is lowered. I have an oscilloscope but didn't bother to test the result. The capacitors are probably filtering the high-frequency signals going back to the power supply, not the DC power per se. I really can't tell a difference by listening. But obviously I can't do A/B tests easily.

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #1,223 of 2,347
I actually sent an email to Xduoo and asked if they sell the op-amp board as a spare part. Like people tried this earlier, I believe the message was completely ignored. I think 24mohm is a pretty low resistance value to start with. The reduction of height is really alluring. Maybe the filtering ability is lowered. I have an oscilloscope but didn't bother to test the result. The capacitors are probably filtering the high-frequency signals going back to the power supply, not the DC power per se. I really can't tell a difference by listening. But obviously I can't do A/B tests easily.
Agree, an additional Op-Amp board would be very useful thing if we could purchase it separately 👍 and with the reverse contacts it would be even better, to make an option to extend for a bigger op-amps to fit in.

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #1,224 of 2,347
Just filter that list with DIP8 and look for Dual op-amps.
Would the Sparkos Labs SS3602 Dual Discrete OPA DIP8 work within the confines of the xDuoo XD05PRO?

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #1,225 of 2,347
Jan 3, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #1,226 of 2,347
Jan 4, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #1,229 of 2,347
Would the Sparkos Labs SS3602 Dual Discrete OPA DIP8 work within the confines of the xDuoo XD05PRO?

If you don’t want to mess around with the op-amp board, make sure to buy 2 DIP-8 risers as well. This way the Sparkos will fit in without any modifications. I have them in my XD05Pro, sounds amazing with a clean background.

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #1,230 of 2,347
If you don’t want to mess around with the op-amp board, make sure to buy 2 DIP-8 risers as well. This way the Sparkos will fit in without any modifications. I have them in my XD05Pro, sounds amazing with a clean background.
Excellent, thanks Nioh for the quick tip. I'm considering buying this "portable amp" because I'd heard really good things about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back