XDUoo XD05PRO
Sep 3, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #586 of 2,308
Hello forum. I am new to this site, and welcome the opportunity to participate when my comments may be useful. I am no longer a youngster and my audio days go back to Linn, Threshold, Spectral, and Magnapan stuff of the 1980s. I am trying to gracefully move to the present.

I recently purchased HiFiman 1000se headphones and the Xduoo 05 Bal2 which I like, but I suspect can be improved. I will be streaming Quboz. Unfortunately, the screws were installed so tight on the Bal2 that the supplied screwdriver would not open the front panel (and likely striped the screw heads), so I have been unable to try out Burson V15 modules. Duoo is working with me on an adjustment. I will instead probably use the Bal2 unit in my car, and am considering the XDuoo 05 Pro for use at home. Other posts suggest that the newer "flagship" model is an improvement, and hopefully gaining access to swap components will be less difficult. How easy is it to install Burson Opamps in the Pro model? Is there an alternative Doc/Amp that I should consider over the XDuoo Pro model? I appreciate any input.
I think you should try v5i in bal2. The change in relation to the factory opamps is very large. I also tested muses02 with bal2 and bursons go much better with bal2. I think some service will handle these screws. The V5i greatly elevates the sound class of the bal2. I am convinced that the sound signature of the bal2 is close to the pro, although I have not tested it yet. Xduoo is a sound based on weight and mass, and only then the rest, i.e. the stage and detail, is tuned to it. It's tight and strong, thoughtful and well designed, not technical at the expense of overall balance. I'd say it's a mature signature.

Sep 3, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #587 of 2,308
They may have revolutionized a portable device with these unique perks but I think a few other brands may adopt similar concept and input ideas of their own packaging for a flagship eventually or soon.

But I can wait even if a Pro v2 takes a year or so..
I purchased the bal2 not knowing the Pros were being released at a similar time frame. The Pros could have been THE device but I'm pretty content with the bal2.
Yes, bal2 is really good in terms of sound and features. Still, I'm wondering whether to try the pro, although it's much more expensive than the bal, especially if we take into account the cost of the sparkos opamps. But if I confirm that it sounds better than bal2, well... If they added a bass boost or a decent android app I probably wouldn't wait. And so I consider the pro to be a breakthrough in the world of dacs/amps.

Sep 3, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #588 of 2,308
Maybe in couple years there will be something to improve...but now, in my opinion, it is the best and the only device within the market of portable dac/amps, without competition in its unique category. There is no other device on the market that can compete with XD05PRO in its unique category of user choise based optional DAC and OP-AMP modules in one device. No other companies ever made any products offering to users so much options to choose from in one portable device.

They may have revolutionized a portable device with these unique perks but I think a few other brands may adopt simi concept and input idea of their own packaging for a flagship eventually or soon.

T
Yes, bal2 is really good in terms of sound and features. Still, I'm wondering whether to try the pro, although it's much more expensive than the bal, especially if we take into account the cost of the sparkos opamps. But if I confirm that it sounds better than bal2, well... If they added a bass boost or a decent android app I probably wouldn't wait. And so I consider the pro to be a breakthrough in the world of dacs/amps.

I used to use the bass boost on the original XD05 plus
but eventually come to the conclusion thqt it distorted my sense of hearing and now prefer just more details over the added boost in bass.

I like a pure listening experience free of EQ and bass boost.

Sep 3, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #589 of 2,308
I think you should try v5i in bal2. The change in relation to the factory opamps is very large. I also tested muses02 with bal2 and bursons go much better with bal2. I think some service will handle these screws. The V5i greatly elevates the sound class of the bal2. I am convinced that the sound signature of the bal2 is close to the pro, although I have not tested it yet. Xduoo is a sound based on weight and mass, and only then the rest, i.e. the stage and detail, is tuned to it. It's tight and strong, thoughtful and well designed, not technical at the expense of overall balance. I'd say it's a mature signature.
Thank you Quaddac for the suggestion. I suppose I could take my Bal2 somewhere to see if the screws can be removed. However, I am warming to the idea of buying the Pro and keeping the Bal2 in my car at all times so I can listen to music using AUX in. I tried it and the overall sound was significantly improved for a car system. I would still want a portable DAC/Amp for listening to headphones (Hifiman 1000se) at home, as I tend to alternate rooms when enjoying music. Fortunately, the Bal2 fits nicely in the console compartment where it is out of view. I will decide over the next few days. Does anyone else use a portable DAC in their vehicle?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #590 of 2,308
💸 https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipower-elite

https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipowerx

https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipower2

Ifi_Table_V2-Hires_2.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #591 of 2,308
This is what I’ve been using since I got the XD05Pro.

I chose the 12v/3a switching power supply. The XD05Pro only pulls full 2A when it is in Charge mode when you charge it and using it at the same time.

While in Ext mode it pulls only 400mA-600mA depending on my gain mode and my volume level.
what about noise?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #592 of 2,308
Thank you Quaddac for the suggestion. I suppose I could take my Bal2 somewhere to see if the screws can be removed. However, I am warming to the idea of buying the Pro and keeping the Bal2 in my car at all times so I can listen to music using AUX in. I tried it and the overall sound was significantly improved for a car system. I would still want a portable DAC/Amp for listening to headphones (Hifiman 1000se) at home, as I tend to alternate rooms when enjoying music. Fortunately, the Bal2 fits nicely in the console compartment where it is out of view. I will decide over the next few days. Does anyone else use a portable DAC in their vehicle?
You know I was thinking about figuring out where the opamp slots are precisely and machine cut into the shell where they are located to make room for the burson v6.

And have customized square rubber grommets made to secure those v6 blocks and not have them wiggle around.
🤔

It could work

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #593 of 2,308
They may have revolutionized a portable device with these unique perks but I think a few other brands may adopt similar concept and input idea of their own packaging for a flagship eventually or soon.
I don't think that other companies will make something same, because many have their "expensive" flagship models to promote and
You know I was thinking about figuring out where the opamp slots are precisely and machine cut into the shell where they are located to make room for the burson v6.

And have customized square rubber grommets made to secure those v6 blocks and not have them wiggle around.
🤔

It could work
There is no room for V6 inside the case of XD05PRO... 🤔

Sep 4, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #594 of 2,308
I don't think that other companies will make something same, because many have their "expensive" flagship models to promote and
There is no room for V6 inside the case of XD05PRO... 🤔
Yeah...not in the XD05 PRO since the module is under the device.

But the XD05 Bal2, it's a crazy idea but I think making clearance from cutting into the shell can give us enough space to fit the v6s.

It's doable.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #595 of 2,308
Yeah...not in the XD05 PRO since the module is under the device.

But the XD05 Bal2, it's a crazy idea but I think making clearance from cutting into the shell can give us enough space to fit the v6s.

It's doable.
I did a short test with Burson V6 Classis and Vivid in bal1 (not bal2). It didn't make much of an impression on me. I don't think it's worth it. Classic resembled v5i but sounded too warm and vivid was similar to muses02. This can be checked without modifying the case. More about bal1 and bal2 in my post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/xduoo-xd05-bal2-vs-bal1.968780/

Attachments

• 1 (19).jpg
    1 (19).jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1 (24).jpg
    1 (24).jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 4, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #596 of 2,308
I did a short test with Burson V6 Classis and Vivid in bal1 (not bal2). It didn't make much of an impression on me. I don't think it's worth it. Classic resembled v5i but sounded too warm and vivid was similar to muses02. This can be checked without modifying the case. More about bal1 and bal2 in my post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/xduoo-xd05-bal2-vs-bal1.968780/
Thanks for your feedback back!
I will have my sights on the PRO now 😊

Sep 4, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #597 of 2,308
Thanks for your feedback back!
I will have my sights on the PRO now 😊

This is quite important: the tests were short, because there were disturbing noises and I gave up a longer analysis. Maybe it was related to the wrong voltage, it's hard to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back