XDUoo XD05PRO
Sep 3, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #571 of 2,308
"Desktop Mode the Sound is Calmer".

Hmm...don't love that.

I get that it's basically unavoidable. Portability is inherently a disadvantage. Desktop amps can go much further than any portable amp. But still--to pay $800 for the ultimate modular portable amp and then be told "by the way it sounds better plugged in" is just a bit of a let down. Oh well. I'm not buying this to be a desktop amp. I'm buying it so I'm not tethered to sitting at a desk and staying plugged into the wall. If it sounds better plugged in, so be it, but that's not my use case.

Sep 3, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #572 of 2,308

Hmm...don't love that.

I get that it's basically unavoidable. Portability is inherently a disadvantage. Desktop amps can go much further than any portable amp. But still--to pay $800 for the ultimate modular portable amp and then be told "by the way it sounds better plugged in" is just a bit of a let down. Oh well. I'm not buying this to be a desktop amp. I'm buying it so I'm not tethered to sitting at a desk and staying plugged into the wall. If it sounds better plugged in, so be it, but that's not my use case.

I guess I can wait for the pro v2 🥺

It looks like they've improved their previous lineup, introducing the more recent XD05 plus v2, and XD05 Bal2. So there's no question about further improvements on the XD05 pro

Sep 3, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #573 of 2,308

Hmm...don't love that.

every device will have greater potential plugged in, it's just an additional feature, every dap could have this but they don't, the ones that do are fiio m15s and m17, and those dc modes are merely the cherry on the top.

Sep 3, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #574 of 2,308
I guess I can wait for the pro v2 🥺

It looks like they've improved their previous lineup, introducing the more recent XD05 plus v2, and XD05 Bal2. So there's no question about further improvements on the XD05 pro
Maybe in couple years there will be something to improve...but now, in my opinion, it is the best and the only device within the market of portable dac/amps, without competition in its unique category. There is no other device on the market that can compete with XD05PRO in its unique category of user choise based optional DAC and OP-AMP modules in one device. No other companies ever made any products offering to users such an options to choose from one portable device.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #575 of 2,308

Hmm...don't love that.

It doesn't seem 'calm' to me in any way 😂

I don't quite understand what they mean by that sentence.
I do not wish they had meant another thing, and have mistranslated what they intended to communicate.

Sep 3, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #576 of 2,308
every device will have greater potential plugged in, it's just an additional feature, every dap could have this but they don't, the ones that do are fiio m15s and m17, and those dc modes are merely the cherry on the top.
I have sold my M17 two weeks ago and now I'm happy with XD05PRO :) no regrets :)

Sep 3, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #577 of 2,308
Maybe in couple years there will be something to improve...but now, in my opinion, it is the best and the only device within the market of portable dac/amps, without competition in its unique category. There is no other device on the market that can compete with XD05PRO in its unique category of user choise based optional DAC and OP-AMP modules in one device. No other companies ever made any products offering to users so much options to choose from in one portable device.

They may have revolutionized a portable device with these unique perks but I think a few other brands may adopt similar concept and input ideas of their own packaging for a flagship eventually or soon.

But I can wait even if a Pro v2 takes a year or so..
I purchased the bal2 not knowing the Pros were being released at a similar time frame. The Pros could have been THE device but I'm pretty content with the bal2.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #578 of 2,308
Maybe in couple years there will be something to improve...but now, in my opinion, it is the best and the only device within the market of portable dac/amps, without competition in its unique category. There is no other device on the market that can compete with XD05PRO in its unique category of user choise based optional DAC and OP-AMP modules in one device. No other companies ever made any products offering to users so much options to choose from in one portable device.

In addition to what you write, it mounts one of the best (if not the best ESS DAC) of the moment. And the standard OP-AMP (OPA-1612) is also a bomb.

Sep 3, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #579 of 2,308

Hmm...don't love that.

Well, you know, in truth, based on current technology, portable devices will never be consistently "better" than desktop ones, unless you power them with a power bank from a tesla car :wink:.

But as for the difference between the battery to my ears it does exist, but it is very, very marginal - it's like when you salt scrambled eggs you subtract 5 grains of salt from the whole pinch you normally season the dish with.

Of course it's your call - I've been waiting for this device since the beginning when xduoo announced it, for now I'm withholding a full review of the experience at least to listen to it for about 2 weeks but at this point it has exceeded my expectations (although I do regret that it wouldn't be very comfortable to take out on the streets with it).

Sep 3, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #580 of 2,308
In addition to what you write, it mounts one of the best (if not the best ESS DAC) of the moment. And the standard OP-AMP (OPA-1612) is also a bomb.
Yup, as to the opa-1612 i changed it to burson v5i and frankly speaking in some aspects it is better than burson (but overall a like the signature of burson more).

Sep 3, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #581 of 2,308
I have sold my M17 two weeks ago and now I'm happy with XD05PRO :) no regrets :)
awesome to hear, i may snag it or the r6p2, leaning towards the r6p2 though, don't need 2W of power since I only use iems and easy to drive headphones (mdr 1am2, soon mdr z1r), I'm guessing the dac section of the akm card will only have 1 ak4499ex

Sep 3, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #583 of 2,308
Can you specify which aspects you mean?
After the change I did not go back to opa 1612 so I will stipulate that this is the description as I remember it:

I got the impression that the stage was a little wider but with a little less microdetail relative to the v5i.

And maybe there was marginally better separation but the stage was more two-dimensional compared to the v5i, as if the sound was painted on a blackboard.

On the v5i the sound is a little more layered in space, but this is not a significant difference, as if, for example, the vocalist took a step forward in relation to the guitarists at his sides.

Sep 3, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #584 of 2,308
Hello forum. I am new to this site, and welcome the opportunity to participate when my comments may be useful. I am no longer a youngster and my audio days go back to Linn, Threshold, Spectral, and Magnapan stuff of the 1980s. I am trying to gracefully move to the present.

I recently purchased HiFiman 1000se headphones and the Xduoo 05 Bal2 which I like, but I suspect can be improved. I will be streaming Quboz. Unfortunately, the screws were installed so tight on the Bal2 that the supplied screwdriver would not open the front panel (and likely striped the screw heads), so I have been unable to try out Burson V15 modules. Duoo is working with me on an adjustment. I will instead probably use the Bal2 unit in my car, and am considering the XDuoo 05 Pro for use at home. Other posts suggest that the newer "flagship" model is an improvement, and hopefully gaining access to swap components will be less difficult. How easy is it to install Burson Opamps in the Pro model? Is there an alternative Doc/Amp that I should consider over the XDuoo Pro model? I appreciate any input.

Sep 3, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #585 of 2,308
Hello forum. I am new to this site, and welcome the opportunity to participate when my comments may be useful. I am no longer a youngster and my audio days go back to Linn, Threshold, Spectral, and Magnapan stuff of the 1980s. I am trying to gracefully move to the present.

I recently purchased HiFiman 1000se headphones and the Xduoo 05 Bal2 which I like, but I suspect can be improved. I will be streaming Quboz. Unfortunately, the screws were installed so tight on the Bal2 that the supplied screwdriver would not open the front panel (and likely striped the screw heads), so I have been unable to try out Burson V15 modules. Duoo is working with me on an adjustment. I will instead probably use the Bal2 unit in my car, and am considering the XDuoo 05 Pro for use at home. Other posts suggest that the newer "flagship" model is an improvement, and hopefully gaining access to swap components will be less difficult. How easy is it to install Burson Opamps in the Pro model? Is there an alternative Doc/Amp that I should consider over the XDuoo Pro model? I appreciate any input.

Alternative Op-Amps are pretty simple to install. Go back a few pages and there are quite a few illustrations and explanations about it.

I link you directly to mine (but there are others).

For now I try the V5iD.
Below are the various stages of assembly and disassembly of the components.

IMG_5746.jpegIMG_5745.jpegIMG_5747.jpegIMG_5748.jpegIMG_5749.jpegIMG_5756.jpegIMG_5758.jpegIMG_5759.jpegIMG_5760.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back