XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
May 23, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #1,441 of 2,100
That's great to hear before I buy the burson and waste $53 (beside its issue with high gain) as I have the hd6xx so the opa1612 is better synergy with the hd6xx as hd6xx is lacking of sub-bass but has mid bass...and I was interested of having OpAmp that has extra sub-bass
V5i-D isn't a waste that's for sure.

It is one of the most musical opamp I have heard.

But then again, if you know exactly the kind of tonality you want for the kind of synergy you are looking for then it makes sense to first try other IC opamps before going discrete.

May 23, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #1,442 of 2,100
I'd try it but it is not cheap beside I heard a lot of people complaining about the issues with high-gain and basically I want the OpAmp to support the high-gain as I feel the hd6xx sound escalates way better on high-gain with more bass/sub-bass and better sound full spectrum and details
High gain works.

Put on low gain, power on, wait for it to click, play music and check if you get sound output if yes then switch to high gain mode.

I have used it in high gain mode for quite a while.

May 23, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #1,443 of 2,100
V5i-D isn't a waste that's for sure.

It is one of the most musical opamp I have heard.

But then again, if you know exactly the kind of tonality you want for the kind of synergy you are looking for then it makes sense to first try other IC opamps before going discrete.

I've tried already the muses02 (eBay version not the genuine one) and the LME ones and neither liked any of it compared the stock

Well I might buy the v5i-d once it has an offer

May 24, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #1,444 of 2,100
I've tried already the muses02 (eBay version not the genuine one) and the LME ones and neither liked any of it compared the stock

Well I might buy the v5i-d once it has an offer
My recommendation would be OPA1692.

Sub bass is not huge, but the it's pretty hard hitting. Basically insane amount of attack. And highs are pretty nice extended too. This should pair well with the HD6xx

The only problem is that OPA1692 is a VSSOP-8 package, kinda tricky to solder without getting solder bridges.

May 24, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #1,446 of 2,100
Thanks Imran

So what's your recommendation for huge sub bass (big fan) with good soundstage and good details that would have a good synergy with the hd6xx better than the stock OpAmp ?
I think OPA1612 in that regard is superb.

OPA1692 is what I would recommend as an investment though they are not that expensive, they are just tricky to mount on VSSOP-8 to DIP adapters

May 25, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #1,447 of 2,100
I'd try it but it is not cheap beside I heard a lot of people complaining about the issues with high-gain and basically I want the OpAmp to support the high-gain as I feel the hd6xx sound escalates way better on high-gain with more bass/sub-bass and better sound full spectrum and details

The AD827SQ OP can support high-gain playback; after it is replaced, the individual feels its tri-band equalization, and the voice completion is not lost to the V5i-D, and the exquisiteness is even better than that.

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #1,452 of 2,100
So here's an awkward question...who's using the XD-05 with a cell phone and can you post pics of how your phone stacks with it? What are your thoughts on this?

I'm after something more powerful than my Q1 to use mostly with just my phone aside from laptop use. Most of my problem stems from my S8's crappy Snapdragon audio and weak amp...but a few of my headphones like the X2HR and m1060 mostly push the Q1/S8 combo to the brink; I just need a bit more than what's there. Again, with something like an LG V or G Series phone, I doubt I would have this issue...but I'm working with Comcast's Xfiniti Mobile which is basically Apple and Samsung products only right now.

I'm thinking that this is going to be just a bit too big to make sense...and don't want to drop $400 on an ifi xdsd, so come on and prove me wrong :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #1,453 of 2,100
So here's an awkward question...who's using the XD-05 with a cell phone and can you post pics of how your phone stacks with it? What are your thoughts on this?

I'm after something more powerful than my Q1 to use mostly with just my phone aside from laptop use. Most of my problem stems from my S8's crappy Snapdragon audio and weak amp...but a few of my headphones like the X2HR and m1060 mostly push the Q1/S8 combo to the brink; I just need a bit more than what's there. Again, with something like an LG V or G Series phone, I doubt I would have this issue...but I'm working with Comcast's Xfiniti Mobile which is basically Apple and Samsung products only right now.

I'm thinking that this is going to be just a bit too big to make sense...and don't want to drop $400 on an ifi xdsd, so come on and prove me wrong :beyersmile:

My 2 cents is that a cell phone doesn't stack well with the XD-05 -- it's far too big for that use case. I can take a picture, but it's longer and at least 4x the thickness of my phone in the case. Having said that, I do use my iPhone 8 Plus with my xDuoo at home, and it sounds great. But it is not all that portable unless you're carrying it in a bag or something. I wish they did make something portable...I've opened up the unit and it seems like there would be some way for them to make it smaller, but it is what it is.

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #1,454 of 2,100
My 2 cents is that a cell phone doesn't stack well with the XD-05 -- it's far too big for that use case. I can take a picture, but it's longer and at least 4x the thickness of my phone in the case. Having said that, I do use my iPhone 8 Plus with my xDuoo at home, and it sounds great. But it is not all that portable unless you're carrying it in a bag or something. I wish they did make something portable...I've opened up the unit and it seems like there would be some way for them to make it smaller, but it is what it is.
Pretty much what I figured. Call me crazy, but I think I'm going to try to dig up an old Fiio e18...but yeah, man do I ever wish Xduoo would toss a smaller version of the XD-05 together; maybe ditch the screen, have high and low gain only, and remove the filters to make it cheaper and differentiate it some. Anybody from Xduoo out there listening?

Jun 24, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #1,455 of 2,100
Pretty much what I figured. Call me crazy, but I think I'm going to try to dig up an old Fiio e18...but yeah, man do I ever wish Xduoo would toss a smaller version of the XD-05 together; maybe ditch the screen, have high and low gain only, and remove the filters to make it cheaper and differentiate it some. Anybody from Xduoo out there listening?
For what it's worth:

If I wanted to frequently use my phone with the XD05 I would buy a new case/cover for the phone and fix it onto the XD05 with 3M's lock strips (I can't remember the real name, it's 3M's better version of velcro).
That way the phone would remain in place on the amp when I wanted it like that and on the occasions when I didn't want it, I could just pop the phone out of its cover and into a separate one for more portability.

And before anyone asks, the locking tape is an absolute bugger to separate, that's why I would swap the phone covers, rather than just detach it from the amp!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back