XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Mar 16, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #1,006 of 2,100

Thanks for the update nplateau. I'll reach out to Burson on this.

The strange thing is that I got a pair of the V5i and both units were behaving the same way. Initially it might play on high gain and then the amp would drop signal to the phones. Other times, it would not start at high gain--not that I'd normally start an amp that way. Again, this would be for either of the V5i.

That said, the sound from the low and medium setting with the V5i is very engaging. Right now I'll have to swap back to other opamps.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #1,007 of 2,100

Thanks for the update nplateau. I'll reach out to Burson on this.

The strange thing is that I got a pair of the V5i and both units were behaving the same way. Initially it might play on high gain and then the amp would drop signal to the phones. Other times, it would not start at high gain--not that I'd normally start an amp that way. Again, this would be for either of the V5i.

That said, the sound from the low and medium setting with the V5i is very engaging. Right now I'll have to swap back to other opamps.

No problem, glad I could help.  Basically you are having the same problems that I was having.  My new V5i just arrived but I haven't had the opportunity to install it yet, but I will let you know if it works this time around.  

I had one peculiar issue, that you might want to check out as well, too.  The cutouts I noticed were usually happening when the battery was at or near full.  However, once the battery dipped to around half or below, I was usually able to run it at high gain with the V5i.  See if yours behaves similarly.  

Even if it doesn't work this time, I'm not going to stress it too much.  It's already been a bit of a hassle shipping it back overseas (expensive!) and waiting for another one to arrive.  The people at Burson are super helpful, though, so their customer support is pretty good.  I am glad, however, that you are going to report the issue with them.  The more instances of this issue they are made aware of, the better chances are we will get to the root cause of occurrence and whether it's an issue with the V5i or with the Xd-05.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #1,008 of 2,100
First. Why does my xduoo xd-05 shows constantly 192khz when connect thru USB OTG when connected to OnePlus One (bacon) with the latest CyanogenOS 13.1 and my Nexus 7 v2013 with its latest Marshmallow update. 
I'm not talking about any special player like PowerAmp v3 alpha but the "normal" USB DAC sound setting android uses, its allways on 192khz. At first i tought it was CyanogenOS 13.1 that was altered on the OneplusOne to function on 192khz but then ive tried on my Nexus 7 v2013 and its the same. Why does this happen? Can i change it any way?

AFAIK, this has already been discussed here.

This is a problem with Android. It upsamles everything to 192kHz. Normally it should not affect quality (it doesn't with windows for example) but faulty driver implementation is causing sound quality issues.

It is therefore recommended to use apps like onkyo hf player, Usb Audio Player Pro, Neutron etc to send original digital signal to DAC.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #1,010 of 2,100

I had one peculiar issue, that you might want to check out as well, too.  The cutouts I noticed were usually happening when the battery was at or near full.  However, once the battery dipped to around half or below, I was usually able to run it at high gain with the V5i.  See if yours behaves similarly.  

Half way charged, near fully and fully charged, and with power feeding in...still have drop outs.

I also tried varying the source output (e.g., iPhone volume via lightning, PC volume > USB) to the Xduoo. That still had similar issues.

I do notice that the V5i provides more amplification ("loudness" -- not sure on the correct term, so please pardon) than say a dual LME49990 or a MUSES01. On the same knob position at a given gain the V5i appears to be louder than some opamps.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #1,011 of 2,100

Half way charged, near fully and fully charged, and with power feeding in...still have drop outs.

I also tried varying the source output (e.g., iPhone volume via lightning, PC volume > USB) to the Xduoo. That still had similar issues.

I do notice that the V5i provides more amplification ("loudness" -- not sure on the correct term, so please pardon) than say a dual LME49990 or a MUSES01. On the same knob position at a given gain the V5i appears to be louder than some opamps.

I've definitely noticed that the V5i is significantly louder, too.  Stock, the settings to my knowledge are +6, +9 and +15db, but when I had my original V5i in, at the middle gain setting with the volume knob turned close to maximum it sounded as if I was getting pretty close to the +15 of the high gain with the opa1612.  Of course those levels are getting close to eardrum piercing with most of my gear, save maybe for the Fostex T50rp Mk3, which still gets pretty loud.  Basically I bought the Xd-05 to really drive those to begin with, so I suppose I can live with it even if the replacement shows the same symptoms. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #1,013 of 2,100

Thanks, but i wanted the original drivers, not those..

original from who?
you have the mini-cd in the package with drivers.
i installed first this drivers but the xd-05 was limited on supported resolution.
after i installed the tusb package 

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #1,014 of 2,100
i sold the xd-05 so i´m free to post my final impressions.
i compared the duoo with jotunheim with internal dac, jotunheim with mojo like dac and mojo alone.
i put in the same place the duoo and jotunheim with internal dac. two different ways of offering the music. depending on the track, sometimes i prefere one sometimes the other.
mojo alone and jot with mojo are superior in clarity, microdetail and impact. honestly i think that is normal due to the different type of d/a implementation. 
but the different is not giant. you considere that duoo is a chinese product and really cheap and for my ears sounds really good.the mjo costs around 500€ and jot with mojo around 1100€
i liked a lot the mid presentation, the flexibility(only amp, only dac, dac/amp)and the package and the solidity of the xd-05

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #1,015 of 2,100
AFAIK, this has already been discussed here.

This is a problem with Android. It upsamles everything to 192kHz. Normally it should not affect quality (it doesn't with windows for example) but faulty driver implementation is causing sound quality issues.

It is therefore recommended to use apps like onkyo hf player, Usb Audio Player Pro, Neutron etc to send original digital signal to DAC.

Thanks, i'll look onto those apps then.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #1,016 of 2,100
  original from who?
you have the mini-cd in the package with drivers.
i installed first this drivers but the xd-05 was limited on supported resolution.
after i installed the tusb package 

Thanks.
Just noticied that the drivers that are on xduoo chinese website are the same but previous versions. 

About the cd, i dont know cause i dont have access to any disk drive that i can use to read this disk. Can you please publish them on the cloud so i and others like me can download them?

Thanks.

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #1,017 of 2,100
About the cd, i dont know cause i dont have access to any disk drive that i can use to read this disk. Can you please publish them on the cloud so i and others like me can download them?

I just compared and the drivers on the CD that came with my XD-05 and the drivers on the Japanese website are the same bit by bit. Here is the link again:

http://www.xduoo.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/TUSB_v3340.zip

Please don't ask again. These are what you call "original" drivers. They are signed and work well on my Windows 10.

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #1,018 of 2,100
  Thanks.
Just noticied that the drivers that are on xduoo chinese website are the same but previous versions. 

Thanks.

sorry but the amplifier is in the package ready to ship

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #1,019 of 2,100
@bitsnbytes  Hey so I just got around to installing my replacement V5i, and unfortunately the same problem persists.  This time around, however, instead of cutting out after about 5-8 seconds on high gain, it cuts out almost right away.  So I'm not sure what the issue is.  I'm probably not going to seek a solution for this as I have no clue what more to do.  If you can though, do keep me informed with your experiences with Burson and with your replacement V5i.  I hope you have better luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back