XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Jan 17, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #811 of 2,100
Heals, a couple of things:
1. How's the sound stage and separation?
2. Does the bass boost push the sub bass well?

Other than those two, not much I can think of. Just a matter of hearing it and making sure it's "right".

Also, I got to check the Aurem Fidelity templates that airwyn mentioned. I'll go to their meet this weekend to check it out.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #812 of 2,100
Heals, a couple of things:
1. How's the sound stage and separation?
2. Does the bass boost push the sub bass well?

Other than those two, not much I can think of. Just a matter of hearing it and making sure it's "right".

Also, I got to check the Aurem Fidelity templates that airwyn mentioned. I'll go to their meet this weekend to check it out.

The separation and detail is better than some $400 portable players. 

I like the bass boost. It push the sub bass smoothly by +6dB, and not bleed into the mid. OK, maybe 6dB is not much for some bass-heads.

source:
https://headphoniaks.com/blog/en/xduoo-xd-05-analisis-review/

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #813 of 2,100

The separation and detail is better than some $400 portable players. 

I like the bass boost. It push the sub bass smoothly by +6dB, and not bleed into the mid. OK, maybe 6dB is not much for some bass-heads.

source:
https://headphoniaks.com/blog/en/xduoo-xd-05-analisis-review/

I agree with that statement 100%. Probably the size and lack of complexity relative to a fully fledged dap allows for an easier and cleaner build. Could be just preference but I felt that the Fiio X3ii+XD05 stack sounded better than a Cayin i5 on its own. Not greatly so but I liked the SQ and separation of the stack just that bit more.

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #814 of 2,100
Does anyone find relatively high stereo crosstalk bothersome ? Two different sources (headphoniaks and reference audio analyser) are reporting ather high crosstalk.

Could it be related to grounding issues reported previously? Can anyone who has corrected ground connections report new RMAA results to see if there is any improvement afterwards?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #815 of 2,100
The crosstalk in this unit is basically a design error. Both PCB and circuitry cause high bleeding, mostly dependent on the position of the volume knob. Highest bleeding is at the 2 o'clock position. Technically that is another proof that this is a cheap unit desgned by people who just jam together a few chips but don't really know what they are doing (see my other posts about the filters not working correctly, and the sample rate converter distorting audio). In real-world the separation is still better than FM radio and you won't notice the crosstalk.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #817 of 2,100
I received the Burson amps from China today.
Now I am confused. I ordered one and the package says "single," but there are two pieces in the case. I thought the mod only required one piece?

You need one dual (two opAmps in one package) - V5i D

Looks like you have ordered two single opAmps. They won't work.

Check the opAmps if they have "D" on top

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #819 of 2,100
You need one dual (two opAmps in one package) - V5i D

Looks like you have ordered two single opAmps. They won't work.

Check the opAmps if they have "D" on top

My husband placed this order.  
mad.gif
  The items we received have an "S" on them.  Someone is going to be sleeping on the couch tonight! 
wink.gif

Thanks for the info!

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #820 of 2,100
Enjoying mine with the hd6xx now. Already sounds fantastic so it certainly makes me curious to how the senns sound with better amping. There's definitely some hiss at higher volumes and a bit of grain at times, though quite a bit of that can be due to the recordings as I listen to older acoustic stuff. I find the highs to be a little too piercing at times, but the Burson would solve that? I'm a little hesitant to put another 60usd in it unless it's really another clearly noticeable step up.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #821 of 2,100
Someone knows if the line out is fixed or variable?
thank you

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #823 of 2,100
I got a love/hate relationship with the xd05. It made my TFZ Series 5 sound less congested and made imaging much better, but it sucked the sub bass out of my LZ A4 and made the treble a bit too sibilant.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #824 of 2,100
i have shockwave 3 earphone and want to buy amp/dac but i am stuck between this and oppo HA2 not the s/e one. there isn't much of a price difference since i am getting oppo ha 2 on sale but mind it it is not the SE one.. so price aside which one is better and do not hiss. because hissing is a huge problem for me. and which of these has good bass..
thanks in advance..

p.s i am taking about stock xd-05 not the modded one. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #825 of 2,100
  i have shockwave 3 earphone and want to buy amp/dac but i am stuck between this and oppo HA2 not the s/e one. there isn't much of a price difference since i am getting oppo ha 2 on sale but mind it it is not the SE one.. so price aside which one is better and do not hiss. because hissing is a huge problem for me. and which of these has good bass..
thanks in advance..

p.s i am taking about stock xd-05 not the modded one. 

I'm not sure about hissing, but the xd-05 definitely has more bass
basshead.gif

I did a comparison a while back which might be of some interest:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/789886/xduoo-xd-05-portable-dac-amp-introduction-impressions/570#post_12954239

Users who are viewing this thread

Back