XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Jun 13, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #271 of 2,100
it has separate input for charging and does not charge itself when connected to PC vida data USB input - only when you use that separate input. and since it needs driver to work under windows I think it is asynchronous transfer (which is better). 

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #272 of 2,100
  Thanks for the reply, however it doesn't really answer my question... will I (HEAR) an improvement? cause I tried to switch between my friends FiiO E12 and my FiiO E10K, and I did like the E10K more, it sounded more warm and more bright than the E12, but I didn't notice any difference in the quality itself, so that's my question exactly.. will I notice a quality difference if I buy this xDuoo?

Yep you will. And no offense but I've never had any idea why people could like Fiio products or stick with them for so long. Sure I know a lot of people would say "best value for the price" and "sound as good as amps/DACs many times the price" but that's practically what people'd say on any product review right now. 
To me it's simple like this (YMMV)
Fiio E10K, E12, anything < Modi 2 Magni 2 < O2 ODAC
O2 ODAC < xDuuo xd05

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #273 of 2,100

My wallet will be lighter soon thanks to you... :wink: :)

I've been eyeing the HA-2, particularly because it's been said to be an excellent pairing with the PM-3 I just got, and because it doesn't need that pesky Apple CCK adapter to use as DAC/amp for iOS device...

But sound is king!  I may have to quell my lust for the looks and convenience of the HA-2 in order to get better portable sound.... and it does have its own kind of cool look, anyway, I must say.  Love that OLED display.

It might be that you may use a cable similar to the Lightning - USB A included in the HA2 to connect the xDuoo and ios device. I've not used the HA2 for a long time so I can't remember exactly.
In terms of look yep I think the Oppo will beats any mobile amp/DAC on the market, even expensive choices like the Chord Mojo. But in terms of sound, it's not even on the same level with the C5D, which I like a lot but still a bit less than the xduoo.

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #274 of 2,100
  Yep you will. And no offense but I've never had any idea why people could like Fiio products or stick with them for so long. Sure I know a lot of people would say "best value for the price" and "sound as good as amps/DACs many times the price" but that's practically what people'd say on any product review right now. 
To me it's simple like this (YMMV)
Fiio E10K, E12, anything < Modi 2 Magni 2 < O2 ODAC
O2 ODAC < xDuuo xd05

t​he only reason I went with the fiio e10k is because I didn't know xDuoo existed back then and after listening to my friends xDuoo TA-01, I immediately regret my purchase of two FiiO products, which will also be my last. even the xDuoo X3 has a better dac and amp than the FiiO e10k and they are so close in price, you get so much more with the xDuoo X3 and its just a DAP and not even supposed to be a desktop amp and still.. better than the e10k, so you proved your point. I must say though, apart from the crappy micro usb connection on the back, the build quality with FiiO is solid. I'm going to the army in 40 days and I might still buy the xDuoo xd-05 lol.

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #275 of 2,100
I bought the Fiio E5 back when it made waves. Well I believed amazon reviews and it was one of my first "audiophile buyer regrets", though thankfully it didn't cost much. I've been avoiding Fiio ever since but couldn't persuade my friends to do the same. E7, E9, E10, E11k, X5 was all around me and if even they works  the sound was lousy (in comparison to the O2 ODAC which I eventually talked my friends into buying). The E7 stopped working for no reason, the E11k suddenly had static noise which I suppose was because of loose components, though to be fair that one owner doesn't give a darn about his gears.

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #276 of 2,100
I'm short on cash and I regret my decision of buying two FiiO products deeply, the fact that I could've bought something much better for the same price of them combined if I only researched more or was just more patient is killing me now.

Oh well, at least I know now. Not trying to bash FiiO but I am deeply disappointed after trying the xDuoo TA-01. which would've costed 30$ more than a FiiO E10K (for me).

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #277 of 2,100
Yep I think xDuoo will be popular soon. I was pleasantly surprised when I compared this unit to the HA2 and the JDS C5D. Sure it had some caveats but still the xd05 is everything that I will ask from a $250 unit.

Jun 15, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #280 of 2,100
Has anyone heard this with the hd650? Enough driving power? Would the MOJO with the 650 sound substantially better? I travel a lot so portability is important. Hugs.

Enough power but the XD05 is far from truly portable, even though it has an internal battery. It's quite heavy and you won't be able to put it inside your pant pockets (the C5D, oppo ha2 or ibasso dzero will do that easily). If you carry a shoulder bag or a backpack then it's another matter entirely.
IMO the XD05 should be best used as a desktop dac. 
  Talking about xDuoo, how does the xDuoo TA-01 has 2100mw at 32 ohm? that's like the strongest amp I've seen, and specially for 160$.

I haven't tried any xDuoo discrete amps. But as xDuoo DAPs and DACs blew me away I expect nothing less of their amps, especially the ta02 which use my fav kind of tube

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #281 of 2,100
It's actually an amp/dac combo, not just an amp. but it could basically drive any headphones and have more than enough power leftover to give, even for the hardest to drive headphones out there, which is why I don't understand how it's so underrated, it's so cheap for what you get it's unbelievable.They even have their own version of the fiio e10k which blows the fiio e10k out of the water, my wallet is gonna be empty soon :frowning2:.

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #283 of 2,100

Yes it is, but not portable enough to be on the go setup. Is heavy 
Mojo is better for sure, but theres a price too

Enough power but the XD05 is far from truly portable, even though it has an internal battery. It's quite heavy and you won't be able to put it inside your pant pockets (the C5D, oppo ha2 or ibasso dzero will do that easily). If you carry a shoulder bag or a backpack then it's another matter entirely. IMO the XD05 should be best used as a desktop dac. 

Still then, it's something for me to consider. I meant that my career brings me to a different place every year or so, so something like a full desktop rig is a little inconvenient, this is more like what I need. If I can get a decent second hand HD650 next month in Europe I'll get this one as well *if* they make a very exciting match. @Diggymen, do you like what you hear? Can you elaborate on the the sound? Have you also matched the 650 with the Mojo? Thanks a lot, opinions really help me decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back