XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Jan 1, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #766 of 2,100
Hi, I just turned XD-05 on with highest gain and max volume. No headphone connected. I can't hear any leaking sound that you described.  I tried different songs.

What kind of leaking sound did you hear? The audio you played?

Do you have silver one? Maybe yours are not problematic but it is a low chance if it is silver.

I tried metal which was -10db. And the leak was obvious.

Can you generate pink noise with audacity and do the same method?

You can try this song (I played this from rb cd not at vimeo. I am not sure if it has same loudness) : (nsfw)

https://vimeo.com/141882321

Do not forget that you need to be at a quite place and put your ear up to 5cm to main body.

Be sure that input is USB and firstly connect a headphone to see if it really plays.

Besides; you may have bad ears or I may have broken one. If first thing is the reason, try the method I said at previous post tomorrow.

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #767 of 2,100
Do you have silver one? Maybe yours are not problematic but it is a low chance if it is silver.

You can try this song (I played this from rb cd not at vimeo. I am not sure if it has same loudness) : (nsfw)

Do not forget that you need to be at a quite place and put your ear up to 5cm to main body.

Be sure that input is USB and firstly connect a headphone to see if it really plays.

Besides; you may have bad ears or I may have broken one. If first thing is the reason, try the method I said at previous post tomorrow.

I have a black one.

Tried your video. It plays with headphone. But I can't hear any leaking sound without headphone. I put my ear very close on the device, no audio sound. I believe I have good listening.

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #768 of 2,100
I have a black one.

Tried your video. It plays with headphone. But I can't hear any leaking sound without headphone. I put my ear very close on the device, no audio sound. I believe I have good listening.

As holysan pointed out,some (or all) black xd-05 is not affected from ground issues as all of connected areas are scraped already.

I think that you have an unaffected one like his :)

But it may leak just like mine after mod. Look at my previous posts. I pointed that I could hear some if I eq to clipping and put my ear next to the case for example.

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #769 of 2,100
I have problems to understand your description of the leaking, sorry. When you hear something with your ear near the unit then it is coil-whine, modulated by the audio, from the internal power suppy. And that will not go away when grounding the housing. It's a mechanical problem that might have changed because you opened/closed the unit, or touched those coils on the PCB.

If I understod you correctly...

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #770 of 2,100
I have problems to understand your description of the leaking, sorry. When you hear something with your ear near the unit then it is coil-whine, modulated by the audio, from the internal power suppy. And that will not go away when grounding the housing. It's a mechanical problem that might have changed because you opened/closed the unit, or touched those coils on the PCB.

If I understod you correctly...

Hmm ı have heard coil whine coming from graphic card and it was pure noise.

If they are modulated by audio, they become like real sound? As I said I could use it like a real speaker but its magnitude was low.

I dont know the technical details. But I am sure that it got fixed after ground scrape (opening it and scraping then closing). I mean I can not say that the exact reason is scraping only. But I can not say that the reason is chang of anything beside (eg doing another thing) either.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #771 of 2,100
Yes, the high frequency switching happening in these coils (not hearable) can be modulated by power consumption = audio level, turning the small coils into small loudspeakers. Anyway, thanks for your info, I will open the unit later to check this and some other stuff.

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #772 of 2,100

I have my ear touching different part of the case and could not hear any such leak.   May be we need to start comparing serial numbers.    If grounding was the issue, Xduoo might have fixed it quietly so that those made more recently don't have this issue.

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #773 of 2,100
I opened the unit and can confirm fuzun's findings. The black body case had removed colour for the downward gold pin to make contact. Front and back were completely anodized and therefore did not have contact via their respective gold pin. In my unit they still were on ground, because the contact with the body via the 4 screws was enough for that. I removed the anodizing on front and back plate to optimize ground contact and make it a more reliable/stable connection.

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #774 of 2,100
  Thanks for the reply, however it doesn't really answer my question... will I (HEAR) an improvement? cause I tried to switch between my friends FiiO E12 and my FiiO E10K, and I did like the E10K more, it sounded more warm and more bright than the E12, but I didn't notice any difference in the quality itself, so that's my question exactly.. will I notice a quality difference if I buy this xDuoo?

In terms of detail, the XD-05 has more than the E10k. However, it doesn't always sound better with every headphone.

My Status CB-1s are much better on the XD-05 than the E10k.

I'm not sure my SHP9500s really see an improvement. There's more detail but... they're a bit cold on the Xduoo. The warmer e10k actually pairs pretty well with them.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #776 of 2,100
I am having some issues with the XD05. Was working just fine plugged into my mac and now its not working well. 

I thought it wasnt playing any sound but I had to max out my laptop volume and the volume knob to hear anything out of the unit. Was not like this last night while using it with the HD600. Using it with the SRH840 and macbook. I have the laptop volume up as well, wondering if I pressed any buttons on the device to cause this?

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #777 of 2,100
  I am having some issues with the XD05. Was working just fine plugged into my mac and now its not working well. 

I thought it wasnt playing any sound but I had to max out my laptop volume and the volume knob to hear anything out of the unit. Was not like this last night while using it with the HD600. Using it with the SRH840 and macbook. I have the laptop volume up as well, wondering if I pressed any buttons on the device to cause this?

Are you listening to DSD? When playing DSD, the USB input/ouput must be at max level. Otherwise there is no sound.

For wav, flac, it should be fine.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #778 of 2,100
  Anyone been able to successfully use this with a PS4, either via USB or optical in?

I'm using it with optical out of the PS4 as I type this watching Netflix. It will not work with USB. Make sure you have the audio output set to optical out and Linear PCM and it should work just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back