XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Dec 28, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #736 of 2,100
I just received my Xduoo XD-05 and want to make sure I purchase the right version of the v5i to install into it. I think I only need to buy 1 piece of the Dual v5i opamp, which they are selling for $39.99.

Is this correct?

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #737 of 2,100
  I just received my Xduoo XD-05 and want to make sure I purchase the right version of the v5i to install into it. I think I only need to buy 1 piece of the Dual v5i opamp, which they are selling for $39.99.

Is this correct?

That is correct.

1x V5i Dual

That is all you need for the XD-05 to upgrade the OP AMP.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #739 of 2,100
I have a strange problem with xd-05.

Sometimes a hear a kind of distorted mid oriented audio like cat meow that lasts about 1.2 seconds. It is more prominent on right side.

I hear it random. Generally 1-2 times in 3 minutes. I am not sure but I dont think I heard these in my initial tests.

Some of them is 0.2-0.4 seconds not 1.5 seconds. They do not sound like cat meow.

Do you have these problems? It is only generated in active mode. If you are using windows, set default playback device to xd05 and wait silently (I could not notice it in asio music playback. Maybe it is a bug of windows?) . If there is a problem you will hear it.

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #740 of 2,100
How noticeable is the upgrade? A little or very? Will it greatly add to my hd6xx experience?

I have found the upgrade fairly significant.  You definitely don't have to strain your ears trying to figure out the difference.  The range, clarity, and spaciousness was noticeably better on my XD-05 and LD I+ right from the start.

I don't have nor ever used the HD 6xx so I really can't comment on that.  There was an improvement for all of my headphones though.

FYI - Be aware the upgrade only affects the headphone out and not the line out.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #742 of 2,100
  Is the DAC so good in this device that it's worth buying if you aren't planning on using the amp section?

I use it for what it was meant to do when I am traveling or on the road; efficiently power my higher-end headphones in a portable fashion.

When I am at home, I use the line out as a source for my LD I+ or LD MK III.  The DAC in this unit is much better that most PCs and almost all phones.  Not to mention, it has a good SNR and can run most amps louder and cleaner than PCs and phones as well.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #744 of 2,100
I would agree with this statement if there weren't the problems/bugs reported in my post # 729, and which are not related to the amp section at all.

Did you get a response from Xduoo on the filter issues?   According to this link there should be 5 filters including a super slow, wonder why the XD-05 does not have it.   Also according to the Teac team, the slow roll off ones are for original sound, super slow for "natural" sound whatever that means and the sharp ones are enhanced bass and "powerful" sound.   If that is the correct interpretation then it is good that at least your measurements show that we do have the slow ones, albeit with short delay.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #746 of 2,100

Exactly what I wrote. What is the intent of your comment?

I didn't say so. I wrote that the missing two filters, Short and Sharp, get only activated for a brief moment when changing the PCM mode via the button. Then the wrong mode becomes active again, so one ends up with only two different filters available instead of four when using USB. With SPDIF it is only one. And obviously a DSO shows the impulse response in real-time so it is easy to see that the filters get activated and then changed again.

Based on the available documentation filters 3 and 4 are the intended ones, 1 and 2 are wrong in USB, and filters 1/2/4 wrong in SPDIF mode. The manual versus reality:

Mode USB
Display      Manual                   Reality
PCM 1       Sharp                     Short Delay Sharp   
PCM 2       Slow                      Short Delay Slow     
PCM 3       Short Delay Sharp    Short Delay Sharp
PCM 4       Short Delay Slow      Short Delay Slow

I feel like PC3 is the best choice for my listening preferences. Which one of the 4 filters do you think would be best?

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #747 of 2,100
  No response from them. Yes, the fifth filter is another oversight by Xduoo. It would be nice to have, as it is the one with the best impulse response of them all. Near perfect.

Thanks, I am going to email them about it too.   By the way, in your post#734:

From an audio perspective the best filter from these four is Sharp, as it has reduced pre- and post ringing, perfect frequency response, and no phase shift within the audio band. And excactly that filter is advertized but not available due to a control bug in the unit.

Was "sharp" a typo?   From what I read, slow is the one that has reduced pre and post ringing.  Sharp is the worse in terms of pre and post ringing.

https://www.ayre.com/pdf/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #749 of 2,100
Has anyone tried it with Nexus 5X as an external DAC? Or any other modern Android device with Android 7.1.1? Or any Android phone with USB-C (there are not many ones)? If it worked what cable did you use?

I am having troubles with another DAC (OPPO HA-2SE) that is "Android compatible" and my Nexus 5X. The issues are weird and too lengthy to describe them here. I am wondering if I will be better off with this DAC/amp and my Nexus 5X.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #750 of 2,100
  Has anyone tried it with Nexus 5X as an external DAC? Or any other modern Android device with Android 7.1.1? Or any Android phone with USB-C (there are not many ones)? If it worked what cable did you use?

I am having troubles with another DAC (OPPO HA-2SE) that is "Android compatible" and my Nexus 5X. The issues are weird and too lengthy to describe them here. I am wondering if I will be better off with this DAC/amp and my Nexus 5X.

I tried it with the 6P, worked well and sounded good.   For some reason, the XD-05 would always display 192 kHz when the N6P is connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back