XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Oct 6, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #541 of 2,100
  should i buy this or a fiio amp/dac?

Which headphones do you plan on using?
E17K or E18? I am assuming that at this price point you are not looking at the Q1...
gs1000.gif

The feature list of all these are easily available, so I am assuming that you are asking in terms of the sound.
tongue_smile.gif

The only Fiio products I have heard/owned are the E07, E17K, and X5 1st gen. Some people say that the E18 is not as good as the X5...

Most of my listening comparisons were done on a HD800 and Denon D7000.
I find the E17K sound to be too fun to be used for any kind of critical listening, it has the kind of sound that jumps out as you which at first listen might sound very engaging.
Depending on what you want to achieve, it might be "good enough". For the record, the X5 does sound "better" overall, darker background, more detail, etc...I find the signature to be very slightly on the dark side which might make it sound "uninteresting".

The XD-05 (stock), sounds about the same level as the X5. The FR is probably a little different, with a slightly brighter signature. Which one you prefer will depend on your personal preference on sound signature. The thing I like about the XD-05, is the op-amp upgrade, with the v5i it is better sounding than the X5 particularity in areas of detail and control.

Also why stop at Fiio? The Oppo HA-2 is also a very popular choice around this price
L3000.gif

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #543 of 2,100
  i am using hd 598, I will a dap like fiio x3 or x5 but i want a portable dac amp. I heard fiio q1 and e17k are good. But if this is better? and ya i have shortlisted oppo also

Last time I heard the 598, it was actually through the E17k
bigsmile_face.gif
I personally found the sound to be very warm, and found the fit quite comfortable.

Yes, I think the XD-05 sounds better than the E17K (in the same ballpark as the 1st gen X5), and the modded XD-05 sounds better than the X5.

I would say it's either the oppo or this
bigsmile_face.gif
These are more mid-range portable stuff, whereas the Fiio are more entry-level.
Nothing wrong with good entry level stuff like the Fiio, but something mid-ranged would likely serve you better in the long run. Otherwise, there's a good chance that you'll have to also upgrade the amp/dac next time you upgrade your headphones.
You can also use the X3 and X5 as a DAC when connected to the PC if that's what you want to do
gs1000.gif

I choose the XD-05 over the oppo because the XD-05 had more digital input options
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #545 of 2,100

Last time I heard the 598, it was actually through the E17k
bigsmile_face.gif
I personally found the sound to be very warm, and found the fit quite comfortable.

Yes, I think the XD-05 sounds better than the E17K (in the same ballpark as the 1st gen X5), and the modded XD-05 sounds better than the X5.

I would say it's either the oppo or this
bigsmile_face.gif
These are more mid-range portable stuff, whereas the Fiio are more entry-level.
Nothing wrong with good entry level stuff like the Fiio, but something mid-ranged would likely serve you better in the long run. Otherwise, there's a good chance that you'll have to also upgrade the amp/dac next time you upgrade your headphones.
You can also use the X3 and X5 as a DAC when connected to the PC if that's what you want to do
gs1000.gif

I choose the XD-05 over the oppo because the XD-05 had more digital input options
bigsmile_face.gif

Agree with most of your points, the sound of the XD-05 from X3ii is really good, be it from Line Out or Coax. I actually like it more than the $400-ish daps (Cayin i5 level). Of course the compromise is the huge size when stacked but the connectivity is great.

Also, the power on this thing is fantastic. It's actually a little too high, would like to modify it to reduce the gain at the 2 lower settings to get more travel on the pot.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #546 of 2,100
i

Agree with most of your points, the sound of the XD-05 from X3ii is really good, be it from Line Out or Coax. I actually like it more than the $400-ish daps (Cayin i5 level). Of course the compromise is the huge size when stacked but the connectivity is great.

Also, the power on this thing is fantastic. It's actually a little too high, would like to modify it to reduce the gain at the 2 lower settings to get more travel on the pot.

is it really huge coz it looks cool to me

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #549 of 2,100

Yes, the volume of the XD-05 is way too high
basshead.gif

I have never had it over 12 o'clock, even on lowest gain...

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #553 of 2,100
Let's see, does this work? Thought I'd post it here before I e-mail both XDUUO and Thesycon about this:

Step 1

Xmos? That is not the name of the product I purchased...

[size=20.007px]Step 2[/size]

I have to manually find the just installed driver package, and install drivers again. And wait... "eval kit"? Is this an evaluation version???

Step 3

This step is impossible to continue. You have to exit the wizard.

Step 4

xCORE? Again, that is not the name of the product I purchased...

STEP 5

More names... I bought the XD-05, not the XS1-U8!

STEP 6

Why a red T instead of a (for example) black X? Why does it say TUSBAUdio instead of XDUUO?

I had to launch two installers, quit out of a non-working wizard and encountered three different names of my product during this procedure. Compare that with, for example, the Meridian Explorer2 installation experience, which is one click install and done, and it says Meridian throughout...

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #555 of 2,100
eobet, I got the XD-05 last week and downloaded the driver from the manufacturer website (I didn't use the CD that came with it).  I have Windows 10.  The folder with all the driver and instructions was "XMOS-USB-Drive-V3.0.0."  After rebooting, my computer recognized the XD-05, and when you click on the red T it should show the XD-05 as a USB audio device. 

Not sure why the model doesn't match the product; maybe Xduoo is using another company's USB driver?

Installation went fine, except for the ASIOProxy install...... the installer would not run.  I downloaded a more recent ASIO component from the Foobar2000 components page.  After following the instructions that came with the XD-05 driver (other than installing ASIO Support 2.1.2 in lieu of ASIOProxy), I could play DSD as well.

I hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back