XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Sep 5, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #466 of 2,100
Of course. But don't expect a day/night sound improvement with this. Just a little bit better. The question is: will it be better enough to justify the 50 Eur this mod cost? will see ...

i know i know. for this reason i´m interested
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #467 of 2,100

Some toxic substances here... Photo courtesy of a friend in Japan.

DIP8 tube amps....

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #468 of 2,100
 I can hear some roll off in the upper treble region.

There are measurably more treble roll-off in filters 2 & 4 compared to filters 1 & 3.
Might be worth trying out all 4
gs1000.gif
if you haven't yet

Sep 6, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #469 of 2,100
Just curiosity: did anyone here play a dxd file with this amp? I think is the maximum resolution format xd-05 admits. Is there much better than dsd or flac in sound terms? I tried to find a free dxd file to play on the web with no success..

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #470 of 2,100
Just curiosity: did anyone here play a dxd file with this amp? I think is the maximum resolution format xd-05 admits. Is there much better than dsd or flac in sound terms? I tried to find a free dxd file to play on the web with no success..

No. I don't have any dxd files.

However, I don't think you will be able to hear any significant differences. From my experience, you need much better equipment to hear the differences between flac and dsd. The XD-05, whilst capable of playing the formats, is not good enough to discern between flac and dsd.

I can only assume that it will be a similar story with dxd files.

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #471 of 2,100

XD-05 isn't a multi-bit DAC, so you are listening to DSD format anyways. DXD is a high resolution, high sampling rate PCM format (352K/24bit). DXD is converted to DSD in real-time when being played.

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #473 of 2,100
i'd like a dsd flac24 and flac16 files from the same recording source to compare them in the xduoo xd-05. Yes there'd not be appreciative diferences I guess but just for trying it..

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #474 of 2,100
  XD-05 isn't a multi-bit DAC, so you are listening to DSD format anyways. DXD is a high resolution, high sampling rate PCM format (352K/24bit). DXD is converted to DSD in real-time when being played.

I find the first part of this statement a little confusing.
Are you trying to point out that the Delta-Sigma DAC used is 1 bit, and DSD's are also 1 bit?
confused_face_2.gif

However, I don't quite follow why this means that it is that you are always listening to DSD format
confused_face_2.gif

Is this an analogy to explain how a DS DAC works? or do you actually mean that everything is converted to DSD internally before being fed to the DAC?

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #475 of 2,100

There are measurably more treble roll-off in filters 2 & 4 compared to filters 1 & 3.
Might be worth trying out all 4
gs1000.gif
if you haven't yet

Oh??? Will give them a shot then. I've been using filter 2 all this while on a friend's recommendation.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #476 of 2,100
I've been trying to decide between this and the TEAC HA-P50, which I am currently auditioning. The sound and power of the TEAC are to my liking, but I notice a quirk on Android that bothers me. If you attach an Android phone to the USB A port the DAC charges your phone, which decreases the run-time of the DAC. Conversely, if you attach the same phone to the USB Micro port (via OTG) the phone charges the DAC. Technically, this is an issue with Android and not the DAC (this behavior is not exhibited on iOS). Some devices, like the JDS Labs C5D, have a switch to disable this. On that device the USB port is used for data or charging, but not both. Does anyone know how the XD-05 behaves in this regard? All I want is for the phone and the DAC to run independently on their own power. I would have thought that this would be easy but, at least on Android, it appears not.

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #477 of 2,100

I find the first part of this statement a little confusing.
Are you trying to point out that the Delta-Sigma DAC used is 1 bit, and DSD's are also 1 bit?
confused_face_2.gif

However, I don't quite follow why this means that it is that you are always listening to DSD format
confused_face_2.gif

Is this an analogy to explain how a DS DAC works? or do you actually mean that everything is converted to DSD internally before being fed to the DAC?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. DSD is a trademark used by Sony, which is just another name for delta sigma modulated signal. XD-05 uses a delta sigma DAC chip. All these chips convert PCM to delta sigma modulated signal internally, when PCM is supplied. The conversion is done by the DAC chip itself. If the input is DSD, the DAC chip automatically skips the delta sigma modulator stage.

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #478 of 2,100
  I've been trying to decide between this and the TEAC HA-P50, which I am currently auditioning. The sound and power of the TEAC are to my liking, but I notice a quirk on Android that bothers me. If you attach an Android phone to the USB A port the DAC charges your phone, which decreases the run-time of the DAC. Conversely, if you attach the same phone to the USB Micro port (via OTG) the phone charges the DAC. Technically, this is an issue with Android and not the DAC (this behavior is not exhibited on iOS). Some devices, like the JDS Labs C5D, have a switch to disable this. On that device the USB port is used for data or charging, but not both. Does anyone know how the XD-05 behaves in this regard? All I want is for the phone and the DAC to run independently on their own power. I would have thought that this would be easy but, at least on Android, it appears not.

XD-05 has a separate charging port. Its data port does not draw power from phone. And I don't think XD-05 can charge cellphones, at least not that I'm aware of.

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #479 of 2,100
XD-05 has a separate charging port. Its data port does not draw power from phone. And I don't think XD-05 can charge cellphones, at least not that I'm aware of.

Yea, I just tried it with a short otg cable, confirmed that it doesn't charge the phone. I'm using a Sony Z3.

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #480 of 2,100

I had this problem before. In China (a magic place), I bought a "audiophile" otg USB cable, which made of OCC copper and the two pins for charging are disabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back