XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #1,846 of 2,100
I had high hopes for the XD05 BAL. But the inclusion of a mini-AES input is truly puzzling, especially considering that it has a (combo) optical/coaxial digital input. What a waste of real estate on the back of the portable unit on an input that will be used by a relative few.

Without a 4.0V 4.4mm balanced line out and greater power from the balanced headphone out, this unit will be a pass for me.

I agree. This is pathetic. Xduoo has some balls to slap a 4.4mm pentaconn jack on a device that doesn't have a balanced amplification circuit. It crosses the line into fraudulent business practices.

Looks like I'll be buying an iFi xCan to pair with my LG phone despite my concerns with the fragile 2.5mm SMT jack on the xCan. But at least the iFi product has a true balanced topology and headphone output. Their xCan amplification circuit is a thing of beauty with it's uncluttered symmetry.

The example of xDuoo and the recent Topping L30 debacle is a reminder to all of us that we should avoid ChiFi products whenever possible.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,848 of 2,100
Worse things could be said about "Western" HiFi if you look at the likes of CFA or IMR/Trinity Audio.
XD05+ is still great product with its price.

Never heard of those brands. With Chinese companies poor topology designs and build quality are the rule, not the exception. Another downside of buying from a Chinese company is that the after sale support is nearly non-existent. Those Shenzhen outfits expect American customers to ship their bricked DACs or broken amps back to mainland China. Good luck with that.

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #1,850 of 2,100
Never heard of those brands. With Chinese companies poor topology designs and build quality are the rule, not the exception. Another downside of buying from a Chinese company is that the after sale support is nearly non-existent. Those Shenzhen outfits expect American customers to ship their bricked DACs or broken amps back to mainland China. Good luck with that.
Never heard of Campfire Audio?

This is the joys of buying directly from shop lcoated on different continent. BTW, the rest of the word also needs to ship to China for RMA and similar, not only Americans, you are not special in any way. This is how it works and always has been. If I buy something in US shop, like I bought UM MEST from MusicTeck I am expected to ship it back from EU to US. Do I moan about it? Nope - I knew what I'm getting into.
I would recommend that you stick to your local brick and mortar shops, you won't have to ship returns at all.

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #1,852 of 2,100
I've had better luck quality wise with Fiio and Xduoo than with Schiit. Made in the US is most certainly not a sign of quality in my experience.

FiiO is a reputable company with technical expertise. xDuoo is bottom barrel outfit that peddles in dishonesty. Schiit targets the budget market segment. That has to be taken into consideration. Nonetheless their cheapest products run laps around anything xDuoo makes.

With regards to protable and transportable audio gear there is nothing available that can approach the sound quality of a basic entry level Modi/Magni stack. The performance gap between desktop and portable audio is significant and possiblity of it closing anytime soon is remote.

In light of this reality I have decided to transition back to a desktop setup. Sinking money into portables that deliver substandard D/A performance, have weak amplification, suffer high failure rates, have short warranties, little after sales support, and batteries that are difficult to replace are all reasons to avoid this segment. Do the bulk of your listening through a desktop rig and the remainder through Bluetooth cans are the car stereo when on the go.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #1,853 of 2,100
FiiO is a reputable company with technical expertise. xDuoo is bottom barrel outfit that peddles in dishonesty. Schiit targets the budget market segment. That has to be taken into consideration. Nonetheless their cheapest products run laps around anything xDuoo makes.

With regards to protable and transportable audio gear there is nothing available that can approach the sound quality of a basic entry level Modi/Magni stack. The performance gap between desktop and portable audio is significant and possiblity of it closing anytime soon is remote.

In light of this reality I have decided to transition back to a desktop setup. Sinking money into portables that deliver substandard D/A performance, have weak amplification, suffer high failure rates, have short warranties, little after sales support, and batteries that are difficult to replace are all reasons to avoid this segment. Do the bulk of your listening through a desktop rig and the remainder through Bluetooth cans are the car stereo when on the go.
What a pile of nonsense.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #1,854 of 2,100

Hmmmm. This is BS.
Granted that Chinese products have had a bad rep when it comes to quality but Xduoo certainly makes good equipment. I've never had a problem with their stuff; quality or sound.
The idea that schiit gear "runs laps", oh please.

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #1,855 of 2,100
Hmmmm. This is BS.
Granted that Chinese products have had a bad rep when it comes to quality but Xduoo certainly makes good equipment. I've never had a problem with their stuff; quality or sound.
The idea that schiit gear "runs laps", oh please.
Fun fact - he hasn't heard the XD-05+, just decided to come here to troll.

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #1,859 of 2,100
Ther
Fun fact - he hasn't heard the XD-05+, just decided to come here to troll.

I came here to inform and warn regarding the Xduoo's new XD-05-BAL product. They are fraudulently marketing it as a "balanced amplifier". If you want to carry water for sketchy Chinese company that peddles in dishonesty then knock yourself out.

Regarding their XD05+ I can't say the design inspires confidence in the Xduoo's engineering competency.

download.jpeg

Looks like it a diy project with cobbled together scrap parts using outdated early 2000s schematics.

Compare that concoction to a modern portable dac/amp design from iFi, the xDSD...

718ifi.ins.jpg

ChiFi vs Western engineering. TThephotos speak for themselves 👨‍⚖️

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #1,860 of 2,100
Ther

I came here to inform and warn regarding the Xduoo's new XD-05-BAL product troll. They are fraudulently marketing it as a "balanced amplifier". If you want to carry water for sketchy Chinese company that peddles in dishonesty then knock yourself out.
(...) blah blah blah (...)

ChiFi vs Western engineering. TThephotos speak for themselves 👨‍⚖️
And again you are trolling with some bs racist arguments.
Have you heard xDSD or again you are talking about hardware which you havent even touched yet?

Edit: obviously you dont have a clue what you are talking about. xDSD has about 4 times less power than XD05+. Judging hardware's sound performance after seeing PCB photos on the internet, you are lolz sir.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back