XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Mar 19, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #2,311 of 5,194
fundamentally rockbox lets you use folders to add to playlists (specific named or 'current' aka dynamic) and maintains an internal DB of all tracks (aka database if you press ESC -> database).
to easily add your music from both cards- make a folder called music at the root of each card and move the albums/artists etc into the music folder.

can easily reshuffle the dynamic playlist
To use the database, you need to initialize it and update it

>Still would love to see a "map" of how the X3's controls work with this RB port. 

someone should probably make a pic saying what button does what in what view. and a list of use cases

Yikes, my head is swimming!  Gotta digest all that.  Regardless I do thank you for taking the time to try to educate me.

Seems if I nest all my album folders in one super folder called music, it will screw things up should I want to use the factory UI.  Maybe I'm mistaken.

And yeah, a X3 picture with nice labels would be OUTSTANDING!

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #2,312 of 5,194
Yikes, my head is swimming!  Gotta digest all that.  Regardless I do thank you for taking the time to try to educate me.

Seems if I nest all my album folders in one super folder called music, it will screw things up should I want to use the factory UI.  Maybe I'm mistaken.

np it's more than a reasonable question . happy to share .
Btw - database works by processing all the tags in the files in the folders it points to (/ includes both cards but you do need to init it )
that as usual brings up - if the tags are not consistent or correct - it won't show correctly in the database (not really rockbox specific). I've given up on meticulously re-tagging my library a while ago and just use folders though.

>Seems if I nest all my album folders in one super folder called music
yep parent music folder on each card in the root.

>it will screw things up should I want to use the factory UI. 

not sure how or why. that said i don't use the stock ui much.

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2,313 of 5,194
btw, looks like XVertex released an update for the .rockbox folder

http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/download.htm System updates: rockbox-update-e2765fb-160319.zip

not quite sure what the changes are (for example time + date settings seems to work fine now) but to install it (and you can dual boot it to stock to do this if you don't have a card reader)
http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/manual.htm
To install a system update of rockbox firmware please:

1) Turn OFF the player
2) Download new system update file (rockbox-update-xxx.zip);
3) Unpack rockbox-update-xxx.zip to the root of micro SD card, just overwrite old system files with new ones.
4) Install the memory car to the slot number 1;
5) Turn X3 ON

There is a dual-boot system in the X3 player now which allowed you to download either rockbox or original firmware by your choose. It is simply to made:

1) Turn the X3 OFF;
2) To start Rockbox, just push ON button. To start original firmware turn the HOLD switch ON;
3) Then push ON button;
4) After Xduoo LOGO appearance turn the HOLD switch OFF;
5) Bingo!

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #2,314 of 5,194

np it's more than a reasonable question . happy to share .

Found this in the Rockbox Sansa Clip + manual but I'll be #$%^ed if I can find where I can do this in XVortex's port
frown.gif

"By using the Main Menu
To create a playlist containing all music on your player, you can use the Create
Playlist command in the Playlists menu found in the Main Menu. The created
playlist will be named root.m3u8 and saved in the root of your player’s disk."

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #2,315 of 5,194
Well, after another 3 hours of music listening and in the same time experimenting with the rockbox ui, I realised my x3 did not get warm at all.
I can remember the device getting warm after a couple of hours of music alone, without any screen on time, with the stock ui.
My guess is that our x3 will have better battery life with rockbox.

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #2,316 of 5,194
Found this in the Rockbox Sansa Clip + manual but I'll be #$%^ed if I can find where I can do this in XVortex's port :frowning2:

"By using the Main Menu

To create a playlist containing all music on your player, you can use the Create

Playlist command in the Playlists menu found in the Main Menu. The created

playlist will be named root.m3u8 and saved in the root of your player’s disk."

Bob A (SD)
there's kind of no playlists main menu anymore. just Playlists in context menu (hold play pause) or Playlist catalogue in the main menu. I'm confused about the manual referring to options that may have moved (I doubt it's build specific)
you can still navigate to a folder e.g. above music and add it to either the dynamic playlist (aka current playlist), or to a new named playlist. (or to an existing named playlist ) (instead of add to current playlist go into playlist catalogue)
guess the functionality was renamed/reshuffled but hope the elaboration makes sense

Well, after another 3 hours of music listening and in the same time experimenting with the rockbox ui, I realised my x3 did not get warm at all.
I can remember the device getting warm after a couple of hours of music alone, without any screen on time, with the stock ui.
My guess is that our x3 will have better battery life with rockbox.

mine still gets warm but I have Equalizer on. is yours on? (or any other similar settings)

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #2,317 of 5,194
guess the functionality was renamed/reshuffled but hope the elaboration makes sense

It didn't but I finally "broke the code!"  I highlighted the card name above the music folder list and pressed (I honestly don't know which... but probably the play/pause) button and held it.  I was prompted with whether I wanted to add to the playlist.  Figured why not and said yes.  Well damned if all my folders from both cards didn't get made into a humungous playlist.  I found the shuffle option and activiated it.  Now we're cooking with HEAT!  LOL

As I continue to digitize my vinyl and tape collection and add it to my SD cards I'll need to perfect how to add these new folders to this new playlist "on the fly."

The update seems to be games, more themes, languages, etc.  Just fleshing things out it would appear.

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #2,318 of 5,194
It didn't but I finally "broke the code!"  I highlighted the card name above the music folder list and pressed (I honestly don't know which) button and held it.  I was prompted with whether I wanted to add to the playlist.  Figured why not and said yes.  Well damned if all my folders from both cards didn't get made into a humungous playlist.  I found the shuffle option and activiated it.  Now we're cooking with HEAT!  LOL

The update seems to be games, more themes, languages, etc.  Just fleshing things out it would appear.

keep in mind there's more than one playlist.
The current playlist (aka dynamic playlist) is what rockbox uses to manage the playback queue.
It's what gets added to or overwritten depending on how you add files or folders to it (basically any action that references the dynamic or current playlist... I think).

There's also the playlist catalogue - aka files that go into SD card1/Playlists folder, as .m3u files

presume you went Menu->Files->hover over music and or microsd1/music then hold play, current playlist, insert. I'd expect you need to do it for music and /music, else it won't add both. but could be wrong.
This was the initial method suggested

if you instead go Menu->Files->hover over music and or microsd1/music then hold play, playlist catalogue - you can manipulate named playlists not just the current one. (for example you can pre save playlists for multiple cards if you have more than 2 as named playlists )

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #2,319 of 5,194

It didn't but I finally "broke the code!"  I highlighted the card name above the music folder list and pressed (I honestly don't know which) button and held it.  I was prompted with whether I wanted to add to the playlist.  Figured why not and said yes.  Well damned if all my folders from both cards didn't get made into a humungous playlist.  I found the shuffle option and activiated it.  Now we're cooking with HEAT!  LOL

keep in mind there's more than one playlist.
The current playlist (aka dynamic playlist) is what rockbox uses to manage the playback queue.
It's what gets added to or overwritten depending on how you add files or folders to it (basically any action that references the dynamic or current playlist... I think).

There's also the playlist catalogue - aka files that go into SD card1/Playlists folder, as .m3u files

presume you went Menu->Files->hover over music and or microsd1/music then hold play, current playlist, insert. I'd expect you need to do it for music and /music, else it won't add both. but could be wrong.
This was the initial method suggested

if you instead go Menu->Files->hover over music and or microsd1/music then hold play, playlist catalogue - you can manipulate named playlists not just the current one. (for example you can pre save playlists for multiple cards if you have more than 2 as named playlists )

I used the last method you listed above and you were right it only built a playlist from one not both cards.  I'm trying to highlight folders on the other card and add them to the playlist.  Right now I'm playing with the queue option.  Seems to work as the file count is increasing on the while playing screen.
wink.gif
    But it screws up the random play
eek.gif

Regardless the SQ is significantly better with this port.  No pitch issues, gapless play, crossfeed, prefetch issues are gone too,  et cetera.  Great stuff!   Resounding THANK YOU again to XVortex for his work in making this port a reality.  Also kudos to xDuoo for their cooperation with his effort!

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #2,320 of 5,194
I used the last method you listed above and you were right it only built a playlist from one not both cards.  I'm trying to highlight folders on the other card and add them to the playlist.  Right now I'm playing with the queue option.  Seems to work as the file count is increasing on the while playing screen. :wink:     But it screws up the random play :eek:

Regardless the SQ IS better with this port.  No pitch issues, gapless play, crossfeed, prefetch issues are gone too,  et cetera.  Great stuff!

if queue as in   current playlist - hold play while on the track play screen (context menu) -> current playlist-> reshuffle.
I periodically reshuffle the current playlist after it gets through a couple of hundred tracks.

also, when insterting /music or /microsd1/music into the queue you can pick the insert shuffled option as well. (depending if you go from Main menu-> files or not)

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #2,321 of 5,194
Thanks svyr.  Just did the reshuffle!  Being new to Rockbox it's taking me some time to explore and find all these options as well as how to use them properly.  But I'm getting there (with some help from friends)! 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

As an aside I get my coffee beans from a Perth transplant and his wife (a local gal) here in town  http://www.essenceofcoffee.com/
Jessie and Dale are great folks who don't hesitate to go out of their way for their customers.  I've met Dale's dad who is the force behind the Perth operation too.  Another great gent.   Frankly I haven't met an Aussie I haven't liked.  A tip of the hat to you mate for all the generous help.
I had visits to Australia and New Zealand on my bucket list.  But alas health issues in my retirement killed the dream.

Oh yeah, that hat in my avatar is an Akubra Riverina (original model)
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #2,322 of 5,194
Thanks svyr.  Just did the reshuffle!  Being new to Rockbox it's taking me some time to explore and find all these options as well as how to use them properly.  But I'm getting there!  :D   :beerchug:  

=) any chance you can write up a guide with some pics so we can reuse it for other users.
these are all fair questions and it looks like the manual might be missing some use cases (common task workflows if you like). If not i might start a page with some common questions linking to the posts in the thread, but it's no the same as a guide (but won't have much time to look at it for a bit)
I suppose switching to a new player os will always be a pain but rockbox has a fairly steep learning curve to start with but after that is quite easy.

give back to community - no pressure :p

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #2,323 of 5,194
=) any chance you can write up a guide with some pics so we can reuse it for other users.

give back to community - no pressure :p

You flatter me but honestly I don't think I'm up to the task (.... PM me if you'd like and I can elaborate).

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #2,325 of 5,194
Hi guys I just bought the x3. Could somebody tell me the latest firmware and how I can download it and apply it. My xduoo came with v1. I know rockbox has been ported but I have to find a Windows 7 system.

If you have access to an XP machine that's actually preferable to 7.  at least in my understanding. (haven't flashed yet myself)
but i think the drivers are intended for xp but work on 7.
Just install virtualbox and install the OS you need in that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back