XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Oct 23, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #211 of 5,194

Great. Along with yourself, ndburley and twiser6 everyone will no longer think I'm crazy.

H20 got good ears you see.
wink.gif

H20 and all X3 owners, do you think the treble is a bit metallic and artifical on high volumes?

I've read somewhere that when you turn the volume up the treble sounds metallic?

I'm in search for a new dap to replace my Ap100 which micro SD card doesn't work.

No hints of metallic harshness.  I was testing it a lot with MSR7 (and their stock cable) and those ATs can get a bit bright at the top end with a revealing source.  I didn't find any issues.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #212 of 5,194

I said it was a great DAP, I didn't say you weren't crazy
tongue.gif
  Pulling you leg, m8.  Yes, I'm very happy I got a chance to test x3 (i'm intentionally using lower case 'x' so there is no confusion with FiiO, too many overlapping model names...)

Btw, a few times last night i noticed when I pause the song, disconnect headphones to test with another dap for a/b, and connect headphones a few minutes later back to x3 - music was playing already.  I'm pretty sure it was paused before I removed headphones, and once screen dims, I can't see what's going on, so it appears like it resumed play by itself?  Only happened a few times out of a few dozens of a/b switches, but wondering if there is some fw quirk?

Anybody else experienced something like this?

Yes. It does like that.

You mean resumes by itself when paused and you remove headphones, or resumes by itself when paused even without headphone removal?  It doesn't happen every time, thus makes me believe it's not an expected behavior but rather a fw bug.

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #213 of 5,194
H20 and all X3 owners, do you think the treble is a bit metallic and artifical on high volumes?

I've read somewhere that when you turn the volume up the treble sounds metallic?

I'm in search for a new dap to replace my Ap100 which micro SD card doesn't work.

If anything I hear the treble fractionally rolled off which makes it polite, I notice a little more extension from iBasso DX50. But XDuoo X3 treble is not metallic, slightly soft maybe, but not artificial.

I will test the the pause / playing bug being mentioned tomorrow.

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #214 of 5,194

It depends on the headphones too, I have been using the P21 by Soundmagic and they don't get this issue but my Audio Technica can do this depending on the music. Also no issues with my E10 by SM too and will not even use my Koss porta pro with the Xduoo as the X3 really shows its weak spots (on the headphones not the player).

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #216 of 5,194

It depends on the headphones too, I have been using the P21 by Soundmagic and they don't get this issue but my Audio Technica can do this depending on the music. Also no issues with my E10 by SM too and will not even use my Koss porta pro with the Xduoo as the X3 really shows its weak spots (on the headphones not the player).

Yes. I also realize that phones & source pairing is very important. Sound varied for different pairing.

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #217 of 5,194
hi! :D
have anyone one of you guys tried pairing this with the fiio e12?

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #219 of 5,194
Oct 25, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #220 of 5,194
Oct 26, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #221 of 5,194
Ok been a little while listening to my X3 and I have to say I am still enjoying it very much, I have hardly put it down to be honest.
Compared to the X2 the X3 is a great improvement, I love the size and how easy it feels in the hand but not like it will slip out and pray the headphone lead you have on saves it before it hits the floor.
As Twister mentioned the screen is prone to hairline scratches which in every day use you don't really notice. I have taken a picture to show you what I mean and had to take a fair few in different lights to get this to show up but not totally obvious. 

The X3 comes with a screen protector so if this bothers you put it on right out of the box. 

One thing I would like to see added is the ability to adjust the volume when device is locked, I am not sure what everyone else thinks of this but I think would make pocket operation better. 

As you can see in this light the screen looks clean so don't think its going to ruin the screen, it is very faint. 
Overall the sound is very detailed and very enjoyable and if you are using Windows 10 media player is the only thing you need to use the X3 out of the box, especially now Microsoft supports more formats. 
The X3 will be a tough one to beat at this price range although I do want to try it with an amp and maybe with a pair of Audio Technica MX50x headphones....it is near Christmas after all :) *writes wish list to give to wife*

Also I have tested the pause issue when you remove the headphones but I have not had this issue at all so far.

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #222 of 5,194
Had mine for 1 week now and love it. Very comparable to my Fiio X3ii, but seems to have more texture and is slightly more aggressive. No complaints, except - my LED screen seems to be very faint, even on the most high setting (#4). There is no way I could see this in sunlight. Any one else think the screen is faint and could be more bright?Even indoors it does not compare to the X3ii or my Sansa Clip+. I will be using it mostly indoors so little problem - I was just ruminating. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #225 of 5,194
  Ok been a little while listening to my X3 and I have to say I am still enjoying it very much, I have hardly put it down to be honest.
Compared to the X2 the X3 is a great improvement, I love the size and how easy it feels in the hand but not like it will slip out and pray the headphone lead you have on saves it before it hits the floor.
As Twister mentioned the screen is prone to hairline scratches which in every day use you don't really notice. I have taken a picture to show you what I mean and had to take a fair few in different lights to get this to show up but not totally obvious. 

The X3 comes with a screen protector so if this bothers you put it on right out of the box. 

One thing I would like to see added is the ability to adjust the volume when device is locked, I am not sure what everyone else thinks of this but I think would make pocket operation better. 

As you can see in this light the screen looks clean so don't think its going to ruin the screen, it is very faint. 
Overall the sound is very detailed and very enjoyable and if you are using Windows 10 media player is the only thing you need to use the X3 out of the box, especially now Microsoft supports more formats. 
The X3 will be a tough one to beat at this price range although I do want to try it with an amp and maybe with a pair of Audio Technica MX50x headphones....it is near Christmas after all :) *writes wish list to give to wife*

Also I have tested the pause issue when you remove the headphones but I have not had this issue at all so far.

everything you have said I totally agree with.. It's a wonderful player very clean detailed sound it even sounds good with mp3 files...my Sony A17 sounds muddy in comparison.. I love the mids and bass the most the bass is so accurate... Hard to beat this little gem..
 you should pair it up with the b&w p7 it just brings out the treble and bass wonderfully.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back